Jump to topic:

War+Iraq=Good Economy

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 4:19:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This forum is to get your opinions on the concept that Bush entered this war to try and help Americas economy due to the fact that during WWI and WWII America saw a boost in economy.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 4:53:17 PM
At 9/9/2010 4:19:47 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
This forum is to get your opinions on the concept that Bush entered this war to try and help Americas economy due to the fact that during WWI and WWII America saw a boost in economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 8:05:08 PM
At 9/9/2010 4:53:17 PM, wjmelements wrote:

In essence, the Parable of the Broken Window holds that although causing unnecessary damages increases demand, it does so at the cost of happiness. In the broken window example, the person who pays to fix the window may spend his money with more haste than otherwise, but he would have rather spent the money elsewhere.
In the same way, starting wars to help the economy is nothing less than Keynesian fallacy; while there is a multiplier on the money spent to finance the war, there is a multiplier on the money borrowed and on the interest on that money. We're wasting money on something we don't have to waste money on at the cost of our prosperity.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 1:15:35 PM
I forgot the question mark after "Good Economy" and I agree with what your saying a 100% but those who decided to take us to war probably saw only the short sided benefits rather than the long term detriments, and they may have possibly wanted to add another state (a portion of the Middle East).
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 1:19:41 PM
America has Kuwait, Kuwait has over 9000 times more oil than Iraq and also has access to the Persian Gulf.

Iraq war was not for Oil;
the Gulf was.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2010 8:36:22 PM
Hmmmm . . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2010 9:01:45 PM
At 9/11/2010 8:36:22 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Hmmmm . . . .

This post is so overladen with information that it deserves repetition.

Hmmmm....
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2010 9:54:48 PM
At 9/9/2010 8:05:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:

In essence, the Parable of the Broken Window holds that although causing unnecessary damages increases demand, it does so at the cost of happiness. In the broken window example, the person who pays to fix the window may spend his money with more haste than otherwise, but he would have rather spent the money elsewhere.
In the same way, starting wars to help the economy is nothing less than Keynesian fallacy; while there is a multiplier on the money spent to finance the war, there is a multiplier on the money borrowed and on the interest on that money. We're wasting money on something we don't have to waste money on at the cost of our prosperity.

i thought the issue was that it didn't increase overall demand at all, just shifted it from one area to another... from whatever he *would* have spent the money on to fixing his window. i suppose it could also decrease saving behavior which might temporarily increase demand... but happiness need not come into it at all. its a purely economic issue and can be dealt with as such.

also, i don't think Keynes would have advocated war unless the circumstances were dire. he wasn't nearly as interventionist as people made him out to be. he only advocated government spending as a last resort while in the midst of depressions. people (politicians) find it convenient to use him to justify spending during other times because it makes them seem like they are "doing something about the economy" which gets them votes!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2010 10:23:52 PM
At 9/11/2010 9:54:48 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/9/2010 8:05:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:

i thought the issue was that it didn't increase overall demand at all, just shifted it from one area to another... from whatever he *would* have spent the money on to fixing his window. i suppose it could also decrease saving behavior which might temporarily increase demand... but happiness need not come into it at all. its a purely economic issue and can be dealt with as such.

There are >9000 issues with Keynesian Economics. My multiplier argument takes one of their premises and takes it to the proper conclusion.

also, i don't think Keynes would have advocated war unless the circumstances were dire.

The supposition that war stimulates the economy is Keynesian. Keynes did not advocate war to stimulate the economy.