Total Posts:188|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Some people who get beat up by the cops...

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:27:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Some people who get beat up by the cops deserve it. Especially the aggressive, more frequently than not black, homeless people who actually try to instigate fights with other city-dwellers.

Yes, I understand that not all black people are problem sources... but when I'm sitting down outside at a restaurant and one of them inflicts himself on me while I'm trying to eat after a long day, who I ask to "please move along" then tries to assault me... my views start to change.

I don't care how poor or destitute you are; if you want people to help you, you have to abide by certain social norms. If you're rich, poor, black, white or whatever and you get up in my face don't be surprised if you have a bad time.

Homeless guy: *sings obnoxiously and gets up in the faces of me and other people at a restaurant while ranting about his musical talents*
Patrons: *clearly disgruntled*
Homeless guy: *gets up in my face and sings some more*
Me: "Please move along."
Homeless guy: "Shut the fvck up. I have a right to be on this sidewalk."
Me: "You do not have a right to harass me or anyone else at this restaurant while we are eating."
Homeless guy: "You wanna fvcking go?"
Me: "Do you want to go to jail? You're an unbathed homeless black guy on a public sidewalk harassing white and asian patrons in one of the most heavily policed areas of the city. What do you think the cops are going to do?"
Homeless guy: "I don't care I'll-"
Me: *stands up and pulls out my phone* "You'll go straight to jail after the cops do what cops do if you don't fvck the hell off."
Homeless guy: *makes threatening advances*
Me: *makes direct eye contact with him, as I have been this entire time, and starts to take a step forward*
Homeless guy: *runs away*

I did not call the police. But I know exactly what they would have done if I had have, and I would have been ok with it, too. I hate that it's necessary, but that guy needed to be reminded of what he can not do in my city. What happens to tourism when the homeless threaten tourists? It goes the fvck down... What happens to school kids when they're walking home and they're jumped by the homeless? Bad things.

The cops beating the sh!t out of people in that situation... it has a socially useful deterrent function. If people know that if they act out of line, even when they think they have nothing to lose, they need to be reminded that in fact they do.

I know that sounds horrible... I do, but the more and more I see this kind of thing happening, the less and less sympathy I can have for people like that. And this is the thing... I've never seen a homeless Mexican. They work their fvcking hands to the bone. Same with Asians, and all other minorities. But the poor urban blacks in this city... they are a unique problem.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:33:13 AM
And I mean, I used to be a lot less racist than I am now, because the only black people I interacted with were upper class, or middle class at least... but now that I see the filth of our society every day of my life... I can't not be racist. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and I am sympathetic to every cop that has ever had to deal with this kind of sh!t.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:52:35 AM
People are usually products of an environment.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:54:49 AM
At 9/18/2015 2:52:35 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It doesn't change the facts.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:57:31 AM
At 9/18/2015 2:54:49 AM, Wylted wrote:

What facts? That blacks have disproportionate crime rates, which can be attributed to their higher rates of poverty?

If you take a black child from a povertized family and put him in a middle class or wealthier home, they will probably fall in line with the average middle class citizen.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:58:51 AM
Policing is an ugly job. I have a hatred for cops myself, but even I realize it's an ugly job and unfortunately they're forced to deal with a lot of the problems society chooses to hide from it's self.

The homeless guy was likely mentally I'll as most are, and society has failed him. It doesn't really change the fact that the police have to make up for that failure by keeping him away from society, so society can be safer.

It's actually pretty hypocritical of society to refuse to deal wealth the mental health crisis facing the country, while simultaneously villianizing the police who have to make up for that deficiency by having to get physical with the guy. Locking him up, and since he has no sense possibly beating him or having to use lethal force to contain him as a threat.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:01:03 AM
At 9/18/2015 2:57:31 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/18/2015 2:54:49 AM, Wylted wrote:

What facts? That blacks have disproportionate crime rates, which can be attributed to their higher rates of poverty?

If you take a black child from a povertized family and put him in a middle class or wealthier home, they will probably fall in line with the average middle class citizen.

I don't disagree. The problem I have is when you say their are disproportionate crime rates and you get called racist for it. There is a piece of YYW that even thinks he is racist, and he isn't. He just doesn't like being around the ghetto class.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:24:45 AM
At 9/18/2015 3:20:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 3:19:44 AM, TBR wrote:
STREETWISE!!! Get your STREETWISE!!!!

Motherfvckers...

Story of two panhandlers I saw almost every day.

Guy 1: Sat outside of the entrance/exit of the parking garage. Got to know regulars, giving bits of sports news, and whatever else they were interested in. I think he did OK for himself

Guy 2: STREETWISE!!! Its my BIRTHDAY, come on iTS MY BIRTHDAY (every day I saw him, that was the damn line).

Yea, some bother me, others I think add flavor to the environment.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:27:48 AM
I'm always a huge dik to those people, and on a few occasions have demanded money from them. About 20% of the time they give me money. 75% of the time they try to just get the hell away from me, and about 5% of the time they actually want to fight.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:32:52 AM
At 9/18/2015 2:27:21 AM, YYW wrote:
Some people who get beat up by the cops deserve it. Especially the aggressive, more frequently than not black, homeless people who actually try to instigate fights with other city-dwellers.

Yes, I understand that not all black people are problem sources... but when I'm sitting down outside at a restaurant and one of them inflicts himself on me while I'm trying to eat after a long day, who I ask to "please move along" then tries to assault me... my views start to change.

I don't care how poor or destitute you are; if you want people to help you, you have to abide by certain social norms. If you're rich, poor, black, white or whatever and you get up in my face don't be surprised if you have a bad time.

Homeless guy: *sings obnoxiously and gets up in the faces of me and other people at a restaurant while ranting about his musical talents*
Me: "You do not have a right to harass me or anyone else at this restaurant while we are eating."
Me: "Do you want to go to jail? You're an unbathed homeless black guy on a public sidewalk harassing white and asian patrons in one of the most heavily policed areas of the city. What do you think the cops are going to do?"
Me: *stands up and pulls out my phone* "You'll go straight to jail after the cops do what cops do if you don't fvck the hell off."
Me: *makes direct eye contact with him, as I have been this entire time, and starts to take a step forward*

I did not call the police. But I know exactly what they would have done if I had have, and I would have been ok with it, too. I hate that it's necessary, but that guy needed to be reminded of what he can not do in my city. What happens to tourism when the homeless threaten tourists? It goes the fvck down... What happens to school kids when they're walking home and they're jumped by the homeless? Bad things.

The cops beating the sh!t out of people in that situation... it has a socially useful deterrent function. If people know that if they act out of line, even when they think they have nothing to lose, they need to be reminded that in fact they do.

I know that sounds horrible... I do, but the more and more I see this kind of thing happening, the less and less sympathy I can have for people like that. And this is the thing... I've never seen a homeless Mexican. They work their fvcking hands to the bone. Same with Asians, and all other minorities. But the poor urban blacks in this city... they are a unique problem.

If that conversation actually happened, I have to ask: do you live in the Projects?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:36:09 AM
At 9/18/2015 3:32:52 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

If that conversation actually happened, I have to ask: do you live in the Projects?

No, Peter I just fvcking lied and ranted about a lie...

*smh*

good grief...

and no, I live in the wealthiest part of the city I live in.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:38:13 AM
At 9/18/2015 3:36:09 AM, YYW wrote:

*smh*

good grief...

Jeez, someone can't take a joke...

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:40:13 AM
At 9/18/2015 3:38:13 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

*smh*

good grief...

It didn't sound like a joke, and if you were joking which I do not believe that you were, it was poorly delivered, contextually inapropriate and generally irritating.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:45:12 AM
At 9/18/2015 4:40:13 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 3:38:13 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

*smh*

good grief...

It didn't sound like a joke, and if you were joking which I do not believe that you were, it was poorly delivered, contextually inapropriate and generally irritating.

It was clearly a reference to the Dodson video and if you're so easily irritated by that, and it seems even offended, then...no further discussion necessary I guess. Nothing I can do about you being irritated.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:19:23 PM
How much of the time would you say you sympathize with the police when they beat up blacks?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:28:18 PM
At 9/18/2015 3:19:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
How much of the time would you say you sympathize with the police when they beat up blacks?

It depends on the situation. I can tell you that some of them really deserve it, but many do not. What's sad is that all black people pay for the sins of the most notorious in institutional and cultural racism.
Tsar of DDO
Red_Dirt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:44:15 PM
It's the entitlement mentality, encouraged by con men like Rev. Al and enabled by socialist middle men like Obama. They have taken a beautiful system and corrupted it for their own gains.
If A has money and B wants some, B can perform some useful service or provide some useful good to A. That is called a transaction. It is a completely different thing when a political agent, C, enters the picture with a confiscate and distribute scheme. Completely different thing.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:49:43 PM

As Wylted said, a lot (maybe most, don't know the exact percentages) of homeless are mentally ill. You're seriously taking your life into your own hands escalating the situation with a homeless person acting that way. The best course of action is to actually call the police before the guy gets too agitated to follow their orders. You don't put yourself at risk and it's more likely that the guy will be calmer when the police show up.

Also, for people who are mentally ill, seeing someone like them get beaten up by the cops isn't going to be a deterrent. They aren't thinking straight to begin with. Even personally getting beaten up by the police isn't going to stop them, necessarily. It just means they might take off sooner next time.

You can hardly be blamed for the racist thoughts you have about them, so I won't judge you for it. I'll just point out that if I used the same evidence you're seeing to arrive at a similar conclusion, I would think that mostly only whites and Hispanics were homeless. But I know better, and I try not to let the anecdotal data of what I see every day affect my thinking about race.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:21:33 PM
*rolls eyes*

I've been around more poor, urban, homeless, "problematic" blacks (some of them being family) than probably everybody on this board combined and I still manage to not to be a racist.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:26:48 PM
IDK...I'd rather see people like that be given mandatory mental health assistance than be beat up by the police, but I understand where you're coming from. But, I don't really have that view of blacks, since I've seen beggars of all races, including Asians and Mexicans, and so I am more inclined to believe that it's contextual than anything else.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 8:51:10 PM
At 9/18/2015 7:21:33 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
*rolls eyes*

I've been around more poor, urban, homeless, "problematic" blacks (some of them being family) than probably everybody on this board combined and I still manage to not to be a racist.

You're also black and they're not going to harass you like they would me.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 10:52:54 PM
At 9/18/2015 7:26:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:
IDK...I'd rather see people like that be given mandatory mental health assistance than be beat up by the police, but I understand where you're coming from. But, I don't really have that view of blacks, since I've seen beggars of all races, including Asians and Mexicans, and so I am more inclined to believe that it's contextual than anything else.

I have never seen a homeless Asian, or a homeless Mexican. I've seen incredibly poor asians and mexicans, and none of them have ever bothered me. Only homeless black people have done that. There are plenty of homeless white people; none of them have ever been an issue for me. I don't like looking at them or hearing them ask me for money, but other than that, they're not a problem.

The only more repulsive people than the population of aggressive homeless blacks we have where I live are the thieving filthy gypsies in Germany and Austria.
Tsar of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:30:46 PM
Lol, didn't some kid build a *nuclear reactor *in his basement and the government actually help him out?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:33:56 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:30:46 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, didn't some kid build a *nuclear reactor *in his basement and the government actually help him out?

I don't believe he brought it to school...
Tsar of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:34:03 PM
At 9/18/2015 8:51:10 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

Most crime/conflict is intraracial (and I've experienced my fair share of it) so I'm not sure how that's relevant.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:37:07 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/18/2015 8:51:10 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

Most crime/conflict is intraracial (and I've experienced my fair share of it) so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

The fact that most crime is committed by people of one race against members of their same race does not mean that aggressive black homeless people are not going to harass other black people more than they harass white people.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:47:45 PM
*rolls eyes*

Thanks.

I've also been threatened and yelled at by people mad at me for not giving them money, somehow i still manage not to be a racist.