Total Posts:151|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Regarding the Muslim Teen Who Built a Clock

YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:40:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Facts: Muslim teen builds a clock, brings it to school and gets arrested. Media go wild.

I do not fault the police *at all* for arresting him. I don't care that he's Muslim. Kid brings a homemade clock to school in this day and age, he should reasonably expect some kind of an adverse reaction to that.

It's not about being Muslim; it's about good judgment. We live in an age when schools get bomb threats all the time, when Islamic terrorism is in the forefront of our collective conscious and where people are necessarily on edge and they *will* act under the policy of "better safe than sorry."

If that kid had have been a terrorist, who was inspired by ISIS to commit a lone wolf attack, bringing a "homemade clock" to school would have been an incredibly effective way to implement a successful attack under the guise of "Hey, teach! Look what I made at home!"

This is the problem with all the reporting on this story, and all the moronic outrage surrounding this kid's being arrested. That was a circumstance in which action had to be taken, because the stakes were too high not to intervene.

The bottom line is that this kid is getting all kinds of fame and attention because everyone -including Obama- is now out to show 'just how much' they trust Muslim young men. So, he's now in a better position than he would have been, and he's only getting that treatment because he's brown.

But now, you've got to imagine the counterfactual: say the next brown kid comes to school with a dangerous device, and says the same thing. "Hey, teach! Look what I made at school!"

This is why Palestinian children are not allowed to go to school with Israeli children: the threat of death outweighs the social harm of a response that racially, ethnically, culturally, and religiously profiles possible suspects. Is it fair? No. But it's necessary, and what that kid did was stupid.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 3:57:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
And here's the other thing:

There are *some* very stupid people who think that the school's incompetent response means that the school officials just wanted to humiliate a little brown boy.

If it was the case that (1) the school never called the bomb squad, (2) they didn't evacuated the school, (3) the put the kid in the back of a police car with his device, and (4) they took pictures of his device.... that doesn't mean that they didn't recognize a legitimate threat. It means that the school was ill-equipped and improperly trained to handle the presence of a potentially explosive device.

The fact that this boy was *known* by the school officials to be a good kid is probably what explains why they *didn't* call the bomb squad, evacuate the school, etc. but at the same time they had to figure out what was happening.

A school official, where you've got a good kid who brings a potentially explosive device to school, is in a nightmare situation: s/he's got to chose whether to interrupt classes, or not; whether to call state and federal authorities, or not; etc. Above all, they've got to exercise wisdom in a circumstance where no matter what choice that person makes, they're going to be in a worse situation for it.

Muslim boy brings a homemade device to school is a recipe for criticism from all possible sides: the left is going to attack you as a racist; the right is going to attack you for not protecting their kids; the media will create a firestorm; dumb-fvcking internet activists will vilify you from every conceivable angle. There is NO winning in that situation, no matter what you do. So, you try to find a "middle way" that will mitigate the harm on all sides...

You try not to humiliate the boy by not evacuating the school, but you're not an expert in explosive devices so you have no ability to distinguish an actual explosive device from a homemade clock... so you only act in response to the information that you have, and what you have is suspicion, not certain knowledge; you're in the world of possibilities not probabilities.

So, what you do is you call the police and pass the ball off to them. That's what happened here, in the hope that the police will be better able to identify whether there is a threat or not, but the police are just cops not explosives experts and they're in the same boat and they have no idea what to do.

The argument from stupid internet activists is that "well, they didn't do X, Y, and Z so they must have had a malicious intent." It's manifest idiocy, of the highest and most shameful degree, because it reflects the kind of ignorance of ignorance that anyone with an eighth grade education should be able to pick up on.

These people have no training in explosives, but yet they assume that they would be able to concretely rule out the possibility that the "clock" was a bomb. They have no training in the management of schools and have never been responsible for the lives of hundreds of students, but yet they assume that the right call was to do nothing. They have no idea what it is like to think, "If I make the wrong decision here, hundreds of students could die." But yet they crucify the school and the police for how they responded.

People like that are what's wrong with this country; it's the kind of stupid, abject ignorance which stems from a kind of perverse inculturated political correctness that blinds people from the reality of situations.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:20:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 3:57:01 PM, YYW wrote:
These people have no training in explosives, but yet they assume that they would be able to concretely rule out the possibility that the "clock" was a bomb. They have no training in the management of schools and have never been responsible for the lives of hundreds of students, but yet they assume that the right call was to do nothing. They have no idea what it is like to think, "If I make the wrong decision here, hundreds of students could die." But yet they crucify the school and the police for how they responded.

I don't have training in explosives, but I am 100% capable in my ability to tell the difference between a homemade clock and a bomb. Police officers should be able to do the same; it's really not that difficult. Every bomb which doesn't operate on contained pressure (which looks nothing like a homemade clock) contains an explosive charge. If you don't have an explosive charge, then you don't have a bomb. Really, the only reason that he was arrested was because he had a circuit board in a briefcase, and idiots who watch too much '24' jumped to a conclusion which certainly had racist undertones to it. Being able to tell that this wasn't a bomb is something that should be expected of police officers; the training would be simple. 'Can you see a place where compressed gas, flammable liquids, or high or low explosives might be stored and, in the case of compressed gas and low explosives, properly contained? If not, calm the f*ck down.'

It is painfully obvious to anyone with an inkling of what a bomb is that THIS is not a bomb: http://jpupdates.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:46:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 3:40:46 PM, YYW wrote:
Facts: Muslim teen builds a clock, brings it to school and gets arrested. Media go wild.

I do not fault the police *at all* for arresting him. I don't care that he's Muslim. Kid brings a homemade clock to school in this day and age, he should reasonably expect some kind of an adverse reaction to that.

How is arresting him the best option? Obviously, he could have used better judgement himself, but shouldn't the police at least examine the situation before making a decision such as that?

It's not about being Muslim; it's about good judgment.

Exactly

We live in an age when schools get bomb threats all the time, when Islamic terrorism is in the forefront of our collective conscious and where people are necessarily on edge and they *will* act under the policy of "better safe than sorry."

YES.

If that kid had have been a terrorist, who was inspired by ISIS to commit a lone wolf attack, bringing a "homemade clock" to school would have been an incredibly effective way to implement a successful attack under the guise of "Hey, teach! Look what I made at home!"

This is the problem with all the reporting on this story, and all the moronic outrage surrounding this kid's being arrested. That was a circumstance in which action had to be taken, because the stakes were too high not to intervene.

I agree, but think they acted too harshly in arresting him. Simply detaining him would suffice.

The bottom line is that this kid is getting all kinds of fame and attention because everyone -including Obama- is now out to show 'just how much' they trust Muslim young men. So, he's now in a better position than he would have been, and he's only getting that treatment because he's brown.

That's true, and sad actually. The country feels that to be "politically correct," they have to overwhelmingly support stories like this.

But now, you've got to imagine the counterfactual: say the next brown kid comes to school with a dangerous device, and says the same thing. "Hey, teach! Look what I made at school!"

Very possible.

This is why Palestinian children are not allowed to go to school with Israeli children: the threat of death outweighs the social harm of a response that racially, ethnically, culturally, and religiously profiles possible suspects. Is it fair? No. But it's necessary, and what that kid did was stupid.

I'd tend to agree. Egalitarianism isn't absolute, just as other values are not. In this case, it was unwise to do as the teen did.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:47:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 3:40:46 PM, YYW wrote:
Facts: Muslim teen builds a clock, brings it to school and gets arrested. Media go wild.

I do not fault the police *at all* for arresting him. I don't care that he's Muslim. Kid brings a homemade clock to school in this day and age, he should reasonably expect some kind of an adverse reaction to that.

It's not about being Muslim; it's about good judgment. We live in an age when schools get bomb threats all the time, when Islamic terrorism is in the forefront of our collective conscious and where people are necessarily on edge and they *will* act under the policy of "better safe than sorry."

If that kid had have been a terrorist, who was inspired by ISIS to commit a lone wolf attack, bringing a "homemade clock" to school would have been an incredibly effective way to implement a successful attack under the guise of "Hey, teach! Look what I made at home!"

This is the problem with all the reporting on this story, and all the moronic outrage surrounding this kid's being arrested. That was a circumstance in which action had to be taken, because the stakes were too high not to intervene.

The bottom line is that this kid is getting all kinds of fame and attention because everyone -including Obama- is now out to show 'just how much' they trust Muslim young men. So, he's now in a better position than he would have been, and he's only getting that treatment because he's brown.

But now, you've got to imagine the counterfactual: say the next brown kid comes to school with a dangerous device, and says the same thing. "Hey, teach! Look what I made at school!"

This is why Palestinian children are not allowed to go to school with Israeli children: the threat of death outweighs the social harm of a response that racially, ethnically, culturally, and religiously profiles possible suspects. Is it fair? No. But it's necessary, and what that kid did was stupid.

I have been kicking around this with my wife. I couple of notes. 1) I messed with lots of bits of electronic equipment in my youth. Its fun, and much more simple than people think. 2) The result is usually cool to the creator, but looks like a mess of bits to everyone else. 3) What, even trying hard, it will NOT look like is a bomb. (hint, circuit boards are nonexplosive. 4) I am white. 5) No one ever expected that I was messing with a bomb.

Now. With that said, I think the entire thing is a train-wreck. 1) The school over reacted followed by under reacting. 2) The police were forced into a bad situation. 3) Media has taken a situation and added "spin". 3) My president has bigger things on his plate tan this issue. 4) "Nothing to see here". Seriously. Everyone go about your normally scheduled business. There are greater examples of police injustice, worse school problems, and Muslim terrorist are not going to "get you". Cut it out!
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:00:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Cut it out!

Fine. Don't have to be so rude... ;P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:00:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Also, it should be added, this was not a particularly cool design. The best part about it was powering it. Now, had he done this one, I would have been impressed.

http://www.instructables.com...
Red_Dirt
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity. That means facebook, tweets, web visits, the whole nine yards. If he attends a mosque, send in investigators to find out what the Imam is discussing. If even the slightest surfaces that the intent was to build a time bomb, haul him into the back room and put him under the lights. That's how you handle that kind of nonsense.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:21:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity. That means facebook, tweets, web visits, the whole nine yards. If he attends a mosque, send in investigators to find out what the Imam is discussing. If even the slightest surfaces that the intent was to build a time bomb, haul him into the back room and put him under the lights. That's how you handle that kind of nonsense.

WHAT! I have to presume you are a complete joke.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:25:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At about this kids age, I was keen on making a phone. After messing with a couple "donors" phones (man was my father permissive) I had the basic idea down. Not real tough a device, honestly.

Some kids like to play with electronics. Some kids want to make a clock. I will say again, the real problem with this kids clock is, it sucks. He basically deconstructed an existing clock, and hooked it to a battery. Yawn.
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:28:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 4:20:47 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/18/2015 3:57:01 PM, YYW wrote:
These people have no training in explosives, but yet they assume that they would be able to concretely rule out the possibility that the "clock" was a bomb. They have no training in the management of schools and have never been responsible for the lives of hundreds of students, but yet they assume that the right call was to do nothing. They have no idea what it is like to think, "If I make the wrong decision here, hundreds of students could die." But yet they crucify the school and the police for how they responded.

I don't have training in explosives, but I am 100% capable in my ability to tell the difference between a homemade clock and a bomb.

Then you're living in a delusion of competence which you do not have. Part of wisdom is knowing what you don't know, and bombs can look like all kinds of things; they can be disguised into even the most mundane of devices, and the like.

You are not an explosives expert (nor am I), and while you might have been able to distinguish a pipe bomb strapped to C4, neither you nor I would be able to distinguish an intentionally disguised bomb, from a mundane device, when the two look like the same thing from the outside.

I mean really... you're usually a pretty reasonable poster, but this is one of the most unreasonable things I've seen you say on this site.

Police officers should be able to do the same; it's really not that difficult.

And this is the problem with all the facts and circumstances surrounding this issue: you have a whole bunch of people who ignorantly overestimate their competence in the area of explosives, who assume that delineating a bomb from a mundane device is easy. It's not, and you have no idea what you're talking about, likewise, nor does anyone else. The difference between what I'm saying and what you (and the media at large) are saying is that I know enough about this kind of thing (from buddies of mine in the military) to know that I don't know anything about explosives detection.

Every bomb which doesn't operate on contained pressure (which looks nothing like a homemade clock) contains an explosive charge. If you don't have an explosive charge, then you don't have a bomb.

A marvelous revelation there. The fact that there wasn't C4 strapped to the exterior doesn't mean that it didn't have an explosive charge. That requires *expertise* which you don't have to make that determination. This post hoc garbage is really getting irritating.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:30:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 4:47:44 PM, TBR wrote:
Now. With that said, I think the entire thing is a train-wreck. 1) The school over reacted followed by under reacting. 2) The police were forced into a bad situation. 3) Media has taken a situation and added "spin". 3) My president has bigger things on his plate than this issue. 4) "Nothing to see here". Seriously. Everyone go about your normally scheduled business. There are greater examples of police injustice, worse school problems, and Muslim terrorist are not going to "get you". Cut it out!

I think "over reacted by under reacting" is the best possible way i've heard this described, and I completely agree. Clearly, the school was conscious of the politics here, hence their response.

I also agree that Obama shouldn't be dealing with this kind of thing. It's unbecoming of a president.

I furthermore agree that the uproar surrounding this is as idiotic as the outrage that so many people have exhibited.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:31:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity.

I'm sure that was done before Obama invited him to the white house, with the exception of the laptop searching.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:35:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's the whole zero tolerance thing gone wild, like when teachers suspended that kid for chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun or for bringing a tiny Swiss Army knife to a campout. This is what happens when we have idiots teaching our kids.

Although I will say it's funny to see Obama signaling how anti racist he is by inviting the kid to the whitehouse. Had he brought that to an Obama rally the secret service would have shot him dead instantaneously
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:36:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 4:46:50 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 9/18/2015 3:40:46 PM, YYW wrote:
Facts: Muslim teen builds a clock, brings it to school and gets arrested. Media go wild.

I do not fault the police *at all* for arresting him. I don't care that he's Muslim. Kid brings a homemade clock to school in this day and age, he should reasonably expect some kind of an adverse reaction to that.

How is arresting him the best option? Obviously, he could have used better judgement himself, but shouldn't the police at least examine the situation before making a decision such as that?

It's about procedure. He was only held for an hour before being allowed to call his parents, which is really lax.

Most students that get into fights at school and are arrested are not even given that opportunity until many hours later, and this was overwhelmingly more serious than some schoolyard fight.

This is why CNN's mid-day reporting (read: the obnoxious stupid woman with the glasses who came before Wolf) is so stupid... there is no perspective. She's like "an hour! Woe unto you!"

An hour is a de minims amount of time, and CNN is -as usual- being profoundly stupid.

It's not about being Muslim; it's about good judgment.

Exactly

We live in an age when schools get bomb threats all the time, when Islamic terrorism is in the forefront of our collective conscious and where people are necessarily on edge and they *will* act under the policy of "better safe than sorry."

YES.

If that kid had have been a terrorist, who was inspired by ISIS to commit a lone wolf attack, bringing a "homemade clock" to school would have been an incredibly effective way to implement a successful attack under the guise of "Hey, teach! Look what I made at home!"



This is the problem with all the reporting on this story, and all the moronic outrage surrounding this kid's being arrested. That was a circumstance in which action had to be taken, because the stakes were too high not to intervene.

I agree, but think they acted too harshly in arresting him. Simply detaining him would suffice.

I think they should have called the bomb squad to be safe.

The bottom line is that this kid is getting all kinds of fame and attention because everyone -including Obama- is now out to show 'just how much' they trust Muslim young men. So, he's now in a better position than he would have been, and he's only getting that treatment because he's brown.

That's true, and sad actually. The country feels that to be "politically correct," they have to overwhelmingly support stories like this.

Yup. It is sad. It's also dangerous, because of the kind of position it puts our leaders and our lives in.

But now, you've got to imagine the counterfactual: say the next brown kid comes to school with a dangerous device, and says the same thing. "Hey, teach! Look what I made at school!"

Very possible.

This is why Palestinian children are not allowed to go to school with Israeli children: the threat of death outweighs the social harm of a response that racially, ethnically, culturally, and religiously profiles possible suspects. Is it fair? No. But it's necessary, and what that kid did was stupid.

I'd tend to agree. Egalitarianism isn't absolute, just as other values are not. In this case, it was unwise to do as the teen did.

Indeed. He shouldn't have brought the clock to school, and his doing so was very poor judgment.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:36:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:35:26 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's the whole zero tolerance thing gone wild, like when teachers suspended that kid for chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun or for bringing a tiny Swiss Army knife to a campout. This is what happens when we have idiots teaching our kids.

This isn't a zero tolerance issue, although I agree with your views on zero tolerance policies.

Although I will say it's funny to see Obama signaling how anti racist he is by inviting the kid to the whitehouse. Had he brought that to an Obama rally the secret service would have shot him dead instantaneously

Yup.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:37:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:31:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity.

I'm sure that was done before Obama invited him to the white house, with the exception of the laptop searching.

I would note on this one. Yes, they did. I agree. Give some damn credit to the law enforcement (not necessarily 'police') in dealing with this sort of thing, and sleep easy. Lots of good smart folk are working hard to find real bomb making jackasses (another hint - many are white and Christian too).
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:42:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:37:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:31:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity.

I'm sure that was done before Obama invited him to the white house, with the exception of the laptop searching.

I would note on this one. Yes, they did. I agree. Give some damn credit to the law enforcement (not necessarily 'police') in dealing with this sort of thing, and sleep easy. Lots of good smart folk are working hard to find real bomb making jackasses (another hint - many are white and Christian too).

A long time ago, Bsh1 had a debate with Whiteflame where regarding lone wolf terrorists, who are overwhelmingly the greater threat, many of whom are "home grown" and may be far right wing people, or islamic terrorists. That was a debate that bsh1 won, but which many inept voters did not grant him the win on.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:49:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:36:59 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:35:26 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's the whole zero tolerance thing gone wild, like when teachers suspended that kid for chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun or for bringing a tiny Swiss Army knife to a campout. This is what happens when we have idiots teaching our kids.

This isn't a zero tolerance issue, although I agree with your views on zero tolerance policies.

It's the same mentality, though. I agree with you that people are overestimating their bomb identifying abilities, but I still think it should've been obvious that a suitcase clock brought in by a student the teacher knows isn't a bomb. Kids who would go hunting used to bring their guns to school and leave them in their cars, which would obviously not be tolerated today because we have this low trust culture of overreacting to EVERYTHING. It's really quite irritating.

Although I will say it's funny to see Obama signaling how anti racist he is by inviting the kid to the whitehouse. Had he brought that to an Obama rally the secret service would have shot him dead instantaneously

Yup.

Also funny at how outraged everyone is...this is the best thing that could have happened to him. The kid is completely set and can now go to any college he wants, gets to meet celebrities and the president...I wish someone had racially profiled me!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:49:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:42:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:37:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:31:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/18/2015 5:12:14 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
Boys don't just go around building clocks and taking them to school. Confiscate the little bastard's laptop or smart phone, run a full NSA security check on him, his family, and any connection available between this kid and terrorist activity.

I'm sure that was done before Obama invited him to the white house, with the exception of the laptop searching.

I would note on this one. Yes, they did. I agree. Give some damn credit to the law enforcement (not necessarily 'police') in dealing with this sort of thing, and sleep easy. Lots of good smart folk are working hard to find real bomb making jackasses (another hint - many are white and Christian too).

A long time ago, Bsh1 had a debate with Whiteflame where regarding lone wolf terrorists, who are overwhelmingly the greater threat, many of whom are "home grown" and may be far right wing people, or islamic terrorists. That was a debate that bsh1 won, but which many inept voters did not grant him the win on.

I was just drawing out my "phone" that I made, and recalling how simple the concept was. Started me thinking about how easy the "bomb" is. All the electronic goodies seen in the movies is for detonating.

Yea, that slack-jawed yokel can make things go boom should worry people more than kids messing with electronics from Radio Shack. I will say again, circuit boards don't explode. They can smell real bad if you get them burning, but that's about it.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:52:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Also funny at how outraged everyone is...this is the best thing that could have happened to him. The kid is completely set and can now go to any college he wants, gets to meet celebrities and the president...I wish someone had racially profiled me!

He gets to meet the president, but he is not getting into MIT with that bit of repackaging.
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:57:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 5:52:54 PM, TBR wrote:
Also funny at how outraged everyone is...this is the best thing that could have happened to him. The kid is completely set and can now go to any college he wants, gets to meet celebrities and the president...I wish someone had racially profiled me!

He gets to meet the president, but he is not getting into MIT with that bit of repackaging.

I'm just saying, getting arrested in what becomes headline news would make one hell of an admissions essay, especially with the current ideological bent of colleges lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:02:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
He gets to meet the president, but he is not getting into MIT with that bit of repackaging.

I'm just saying, getting arrested in what becomes headline news would make one hell of an admissions essay, especially with the current ideological bent of colleges lol

I am starting to get a little hot under the collar about this, but in an entirely new direction. (not hot with you, just using it as a jumping off point). If this kid had shown-up as a science fair with this, he should have gotten laughed at by the other kids.

Is this the best we can do? That should be our humiliation at this point. Hailing him as some electronics prodigy is... well real sad to me.

Note: He may be much better - but this better not be his best effort.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:18:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Then you're living in a delusion of competence which you do not have. Part of wisdom is knowing what you don't know, and bombs can look like all kinds of things; they can be disguised into even the most mundane of devices, and the like.

You are not an explosives expert (nor am I), and while you might have been able to distinguish a pipe bomb strapped to C4, neither you nor I would be able to distinguish an intentionally disguised bomb, from a mundane device, when the two look like the same thing from the outside.

Its not that bombs can look like all kinds of things, its that all kinds of things can look like bombs, especially if you really want something to look like a bomb. The "joy" of explosives is that you really don't need to be an expert to make them function, and I think you might give yourself too little credit in realizing what constitutes something that is dangerous. I am confident you could recognize and acid bomb when you see one, probably a pipe bomb, timed or not, but its the "bomb" part that queues us as dangerous, not the electrical equipment attached to it.

I think this really WAS supposed to be an exercise in embarrassment because all the proper procedures for handling this as a device were specifically NOT followed. No bomb squad, no evacuation, etc etc. If the teacher was indeed fearful, as opposed to wanting to make an example of him/the situation, all those things would have been done.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:22:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Again, not really directly replying to you, but a good jumping off post for my little image of the bomb, and its utter ridiculousness as a bomb.

http://www.debate.org...

Please see the dimensions, and lack of anything that can go boom.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:24:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 6:22:03 PM, TBR wrote:
Again, not really directly replying to you, but a good jumping off post for my little image of the bomb, and its utter ridiculousness as a bomb.

http://www.debate.org...

Please see the dimensions, and lack of anything that can go boom.

If I really tried hard, I might be able to make the transformer smell and smoke a bit as it died out.
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:25:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/18/2015 6:18:52 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Then you're living in a delusion of competence which you do not have. Part of wisdom is knowing what you don't know, and bombs can look like all kinds of things; they can be disguised into even the most mundane of devices, and the like.

You are not an explosives expert (nor am I), and while you might have been able to distinguish a pipe bomb strapped to C4, neither you nor I would be able to distinguish an intentionally disguised bomb, from a mundane device, when the two look like the same thing from the outside.


Its not that bombs can look like all kinds of things, its that all kinds of things can look like bombs, especially if you really want something to look like a bomb. The "joy" of explosives is that you really don't need to be an expert to make them function, and I think you might give yourself too little credit in realizing what constitutes something that is dangerous. I am confident you could recognize and acid bomb when you see one, probably a pipe bomb, timed or not, but its the "bomb" part that queues us as dangerous, not the electrical equipment attached to it.

I think this really WAS supposed to be an exercise in embarrassment because all the proper procedures for handling this as a device were specifically NOT followed. No bomb squad, no evacuation, etc etc. If the teacher was indeed fearful, as opposed to wanting to make an example of him/the situation, all those things would have been done.

I have already rebutted everything you said, because it' substantively identical to what Skep said, and equally devoid of merit, although Skep said it more articulately.

Please refer to my response to skep.
Tsar of DDO
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:31:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The only reason they thought it could be a bomb is because TV and movies have conditioned a lot of us to think LCD/LED digital display + circuit board(s) = bomb. What the school did was operate under suspicion of a threat, which I have a hard time believing was not elevated by the kid's name, religion, and skin color.

And the explanation from the police is just lunacy. They've said that, aside from saying it was a clock, that the kid wasn't forthcoming with details. What other freaking details do you need?

Honestly I don't know if there's anything short of a similar response to a white Christian kid that will make me think anything other than that the school's response was completely out of line and largely due to bigotry. That wouldn't even be a big deal if they would just apologize for it. But they suspended him and they're sticking to their guns on it. Ridiculous.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:41:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm getting so more pissed over this every bit I read about the story.

Want to see how to actually learn a little something about electrical engineering, buy this kid this.

Yes. YES I am picking on the skills of a 14 y.o. boy. He should be better!
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:02:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I very strongly disagree with this.

This was a clear instance of racial profiling, where a child was singled out because he was Muslim. I can almost guarantee that if a white student brought in a clock, they'd impress their teacher and get plaudits from the school. Our reaction should be no different when a Muslim student does the same. Moreover, if the police felt compelled to act, rather than arresting the student, they should've confiscated the clock, had it examined to determine what it was, and then made the call on whether or not to arrest anyone.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...