Total Posts:70|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The antigay clerk who refused to do her job.

LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:03:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com... This woman tried to force her antigay religious bigotry on people. Gays have the right to get married. Private entities do have the right to discriminate, but public entities. Kim Davis is a total hypocrite who was married 4 times, so who is she to preach marital faithfulness. 'MURICA!!!!!!!!!!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:44:27 AM
At 9/19/2015 3:03:00 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com... This woman tried to force her antigay religious bigotry on people. Gays have the right to get married. Private entities do have the right to discriminate, but public entities. Kim Davis is a total hypocrite who was married 4 times, so who is she to preach marital faithfulness. 'MURICA!!!!!!!!!!

One thing should be noted about this whole business involving clerks who refuse to officialize gay marriages.
What people like to say is "this man/women should've never been a clerk if he/she isn't willing to do his/her basic job!"
Well, about this...

Immediately prior to Obergefell vs Hodges multiple states had yet to legalize gay marriage. At this time there were many Evangelical clerks across these states who perhaps had been issuing marriage licenses for decades prior to this decision. Perhaps they had been doing it before gay marriage was legalized in the first state. At the time that they started with their jobs they considered marriage to be solely a union between one man and one woman, and the majority of Americans at that time agreed with this sentiment. Many perhaps simply felt that issuing marriage licenses is what they wanted to do with their lives and what God wanted them to do with their lives. They entered the marriage licensing profession under the assumption that something like gay marriage would never be legalized, or at least not in their state. Then one day the Supreme Court makes a landmark ruling and gay marriage is legalized throughout the country. Suddenly they have to license gay marriages or lose the jobs that they've held without issue for most of their adult lives.
So to say that "They're not willing to do their jobs so they should be fired it's that simple" is an ignorant and cruel thing to say.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:08:39 AM
At 9/19/2015 3:44:27 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

One thing should be noted about this whole business involving clerks who refuse to officialize gay marriages.
What people like to say is "this man/women should've never been a clerk if he/she isn't willing to do his/her basic job!"
Well, about this...

Immediately prior to Obergefell vs Hodges multiple states had yet to legalize gay marriage. At this time there were many Evangelical clerks across these states who perhaps had been issuing marriage licenses for decades prior to this decision. Perhaps they had been doing it before gay marriage was legalized in the first state. At the time that they started with their jobs they considered marriage to be solely a union between one man and one woman, and the majority of Americans at that time agreed with this sentiment. Many perhaps simply felt that issuing marriage licenses is what they wanted to do with their lives and what God wanted them to do with their lives. They entered the marriage licensing profession under the assumption that something like gay marriage would never be legalized, or at least not in their state. Then one day the Supreme Court makes a landmark ruling and gay marriage is legalized throughout the country. Suddenly they have to license gay marriages or lose the jobs that they've held without issue for most of their adult lives.
So to say that "They're not willing to do their jobs so they should be fired it's that simple" is an ignorant and cruel thing to say.

Public entities do not have the right to discriminate. They do not have the right to force religion on people. Gays have the the right to get married.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:15:01 AM
At 9/19/2015 3:50:08 AM, TBR wrote:
The job requirement changed! Deal with it.

No, they cannot just "deal with it". According to their religion issuing such licenses is not something that the can do. Obergefell vs Hodges will pretty much force many people out of the jobs that they've held for years, if not decades.

The DDO Blog:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:26:22 AM

Well, about this...

But their job isn't just 'to issue marriage licenses', it's to basically file the paperwork for any sort of county legal function. Being faithful to the law of the land is part of the job description, and anyone who cannot, you know, respect legal rulings doesn't belong in such a position. If someone believes that 'God's law overrides man's law', then they really shouldn't hold that position, because you don't get to determine which laws go into effect when you're a clerk. Now, if this woman had refused to do it personally, that would be one thing, but the fact the she forbade any of her assistants to issue marriage licenses is where we get into big problems, because she is basically taking the law into her own hands at that point while forcing her personal issues of conscience onto other clerks. I mean, this woman is a complete and utter hypocrite on multiple levels in my eyes, and a repugnant person, not someone deserving of pity. Someone who can't personally advocate for something and won't personally sign it, but asks another clerk to do it instead? Eh, sure, I think that it'd be a bit dickish and controlling to push it at that point. But when someone refuses to let their clerks follow their own consciences (when their consciences are in line with the law,) and is being a hypocrite on a moral level (Jesus didn't have anything to say about gays, but he had PLENTY to say about adultery and divorce, which this woman engaged in quite prolifically), then there's really no room for sympathy in my eyes, and attempts to garner it are both mendacious and pathetic.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:42:47 AM
At 9/19/2015 4:15:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

No, they cannot just "deal with it". According to their religion issuing such licenses is not something that the can do. Obergefell vs Hodges will pretty much force many people out of the jobs that they've held for years, if not decades.

I don't see why not. Unless God expects people to be perfect in an imperfect world, which would be a ludicrous expectation. If God cares about these people, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't forgive them.

Besides which, a marriage license is just a piece of paper. If, in the eyes of God, a man can't marry a man, and a woman can't marry a woman, then the license isn't real anyways, so no sin on the clerks part.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:45:35 AM

Ok here is where we disagree. She is legally allowed to issue them, she doesn't have to.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:53:39 AM
At 9/19/2015 4:45:35 AM, TheChristian wrote:

Ok here is where we disagree. She is legally allowed to issue them, she doesn't have to.

You are wrong. She does not have the right to force her religious beliefs on other people. If you want Shariah law, move to Saudi Arabia. Gays have the right to get married.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:10:39 AM

There is already a thread on this.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:30:26 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:10:39 AM, Wylted wrote:

I just want to say what I believe.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:33:41 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:30:26 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Please do it in the thread that was already created. Thank you.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:42:23 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:33:41 AM, Wylted wrote:

Don't tell me what to do. I will post whatever I want.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:45:44 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:42:23 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Thanks for your cooperation
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:50:55 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:45:44 AM, Wylted wrote:

You need to stop trolling or I will report you.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:08:16 AM
At 9/19/2015 6:50:55 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

You need to stop threatening to report people. I'm surprised you haven't gotten into trouble for that yet, how often you do it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 2:13:40 PM
At 9/19/2015 4:26:22 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Well, about this...

But their job isn't just 'to issue marriage licenses', it's to basically file the paperwork for any sort of county legal function. Being faithful to the law of the land is part of the job description, and anyone who cannot, you know, respect legal rulings doesn't belong in such a position. If someone believes that 'God's law overrides man's law', then they really shouldn't hold that position, because you don't get to determine which laws go into effect when you're a clerk. Now, if this woman had refused to do it personally, that would be one thing, but the fact the she forbade any of her assistants to issue marriage licenses is where we get into big problems, because she is basically taking the law into her own hands at that point while forcing her personal issues of conscience onto other clerks. I mean, this woman is a complete and utter hypocrite on multiple levels in my eyes, and a repugnant person, not someone deserving of pity. Someone who can't personally advocate for something and won't personally sign it, but asks another clerk to do it instead? Eh, sure, I think that it'd be a bit dickish and controlling to push it at that point. But when someone refuses to let their clerks follow their own consciences (when their consciences are in line with the law,) and is being a hypocrite on a moral level (Jesus didn't have anything to say about gays, but he had PLENTY to say about adultery and divorce, which this woman engaged in quite prolifically), then there's really no room for sympathy in my eyes, and attempts to garner it are both mendacious and pathetic.

I suppose that I must agree with your assessment of Kim Davis.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 2:17:25 PM
Solution:
Whenever in any given county less than 30% of marriages are same-sex marriages (that is, this has been the case for the past several years and it's projected to be the case in whatever given year it is), Christian clerks should be exempt from doing same-sex licenses (in which case another clerk does it, one coming in from another county to do the job if necessary).

The DDO Blog:

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:40:26 PM

They *should* deal with it. A county clerk's job is to enforce the law above all -- if they think "God's law overrides American law," then they just aren't fit to be a county clerk. The law overrides all, at least as far as the job requirement is considered. And Obergefell v. Hodges doesn't "force people out of the[ir] jobs," because it's *their choice* to believe what they believe, thus their choice to not follow the job requirement.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:02:17 PM

Not sorry about that at all, but I would ask, where in the bible does it say you must refuse to issue licenses? She is not performing marriages, she not "lying with another woman". Just where does the Christian mind come up with this concept that issuing a license is a problem\?
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:06:17 PM
At the time Kim Davis was elected they didn't issue gay marriages in Kentucky. The Majority of the people who decided she should be the clerk and voted for her, don't think that anyone should sign a gay marriage "license" .
What Ms. Davis did was essentially say **** you! to the supreme court. It is about time somebody did this.
We should all e-mail Time magazine and ask that Kim be made person of the year 2015.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 1:40:15 AM
At 9/19/2015 2:13:40 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 9/19/2015 4:26:22 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Well, about this...

I suppose that I must agree with your assessment of Kim Davis.

Thank you.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 1:42:36 AM
At 9/19/2015 7:08:16 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/19/2015 6:50:55 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

You need to stop threatening to report people. I'm surprised you haven't gotten into trouble for that yet, how often you do it.

1. I have done nothing wrong. I just stated that I would use a feature of this site. It is a free speech issue. 2. This debate is about Kim Davis.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 9:18:35 PM

That is ridiculous Vox. She issues marriage licenses to people who have divorced due to no fault reasons, which is clearly also against her religion. Divorce papers are public. Are you trying to tell me just because they can visibly see two people are the same gender but you can't visibly see why a person divorced when they walk in to get papers that it justifies the difference of treatment?

It is so blatantly hypocritical that the only logical explanation is that the the the right to be a bigot against gays is more important to following anything that remotely adheres to religious belief.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 10:56:04 PM

That's bullsht. No where in the Bible does it forbid the distribution of marriage licenses to gay couples. It doesn't even mention marriage licenses or gay marriage for that matter. If she cannot be a productive citizen and employee by doing what her job requires, she needs to quit and find another job to do. There is no excuse for breaking the law and discrimination. There is no place for superstition in government or the workplace.

So like TBR said, deal with it.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 10:58:13 PM
At 9/19/2015 2:17:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Solution:
Whenever in any given county less than 30% of marriages are same-sex marriages (that is, this has been the case for the past several years and it's projected to be the case in whatever given year it is), Christian clerks should be exempt from doing same-sex licenses (in which case another clerk does it, one coming in from another county to do the job if necessary).

This is not a "solution" this is tyranny of the majority. No special rights for religious people. That is unconstitutional.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 10:59:20 PM

Actually she does, because it's the law.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 11:05:23 PM
At 9/20/2015 10:59:20 PM, briantheliberal wrote:

Whatever, she still shouldn't have to, if she has a legal reason to. They can get the license in another county if its that big of a deal.
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 11:12:11 PM
At 9/20/2015 11:05:23 PM, TheChristian wrote:
At 9/20/2015 10:59:20 PM, briantheliberal wrote:

Whatever, she still shouldn't have to, if she has a legal reason to. They can get the license in another county if its that big of a deal.

Uh no. She should have to or get another job. She has no legal standing in her position, that's why she went to jail for it. Gay couples should not have to go anywhere else for their marriage licences to accommodate her bigotry. There are no special rights for religious people in this country.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 11:20:17 PM

Those who refuse to change with the times deserve to be swept away along with it. They even offered her a compromise, she doesn't have to issue or sign any licenses (other clerks will) , she just cant interfere. And she's still disobeying and forcing her beliefs on others. This hypocrite clerk is a wannabe martyr.