Jump to topic:

Most evil dictator of all time

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 8:03:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Obviously a tough one to answer as their are many different ways at looking at it. Personally I would say Hitler but I could make a case for Mao and Stalin as well. Anyone else I have overlooked?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 8:39:57 PM
At 9/20/2015 8:03:00 PM, beng100 wrote:
Obviously a tough one to answer as their are many different ways at looking at it. Personally I would say Hitler but I could make a case for Mao and Stalin as well. Anyone else I have overlooked?

I think Moa, Stalin and Hitler are definitely good choices and an argument could be made for any of those three.

As for lesser known options, I think any of the following certainly have the "evil dictator" label based on any metric, but aren't probably as high on the list for having less "success" at the things we associate with evil dictators (body count, evil deeds etc):

Vlad the Impaler - He killed a lot fewer people than others on this list (aprx 50-100K), but his methods of torture make him particularly noteworthy.

Idi Amin - Some estimate that he's responsible for up to half a million Ugandan deaths.

Pol Pot - Estimated to have killed 1 to 3 million, or 25-30 percent of the entire population of Cambodia.

Kim Il Sung - Estimated to be responsible for the deaths of close to 3 million.

Saddam Hussein - Responsible for the deaths of an estimated 2 million.

It's hard to say exactly which dictator is the "most evil" as death counts don't tell the entire story. I believe there is a good argument for Hitler, though Mao is responsible for the deaths of over 75 million, so based on numbers alone, I think Mao wins this contest pretty easily.
Debate.org Moderator
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 8:42:14 PM
I don't think the sheer number of deaths someone is responsible for tells you how evil they are, so it's a difficult if not impossible question to answer in my opinion.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 9:14:52 PM
Obviously a tough one to answer as their are many different ways at looking at it. Personally I would say Hitler but I could make a case for Mao and. Stalin as well. Anyone else I have overlooked?

Yes Mao is responsible for the most deaths. He was in power for considerably longer than hitler though so arguably hitlers figures could be worse if he was in power for a longer period of time. It is also possible to argue that world war 2 was caused directly by Adolf Hitler, so you could also blame the war related deaths in Europe on him directly. It is possible that without him world war 2 may have been avoidable. Yes vlad the impaler was particularly brutal. His methods of execution and their random nature probably are the worst known breaches of human rights and are examples of the most evil possible behaviour.
smitten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 7:24:20 AM
Obviously a tough one to answer as their are many different ways at looking at it. Personally I would say Hitler but I could make a case for Mao and Stalin as well. Anyone else I have overlooked? : :

You overlooked the Creator.

Isaiah 45
7: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

1 Samuel 2
6: The Lord kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
7: The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low, he also exalts.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 10:24:47 PM
I personally think Stalin--especially based on actual death count which for him is in the tens of *millions*. Besides that he was extremely merciless in the way he disposed of people.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'