Jump to topic:

Still on Ahmed Mohamed's clock.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 8:52:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This story has bugged me more and more as time has passed. There is plenty to discuss with regards to racial profiling and the likes - I have skipped over that to outrage at coverage giving the kid too much credit for engineering skills.

It is my position that breaking a working clock apart from its factory case, and inserting the resulting bits into a pencil case and calling it his "invention" is tantamount to plagiarizing his English homework. Further, that anyone celebrates the kids accomplishment as some example of engineering prodigy spells trouble for our expectations of students and our lack of understanding and respect about the complexity of actually making something yourself.

I present as an example of students doing the work that should be celebrated the true life story of a H.S. team (made up of illegal immigrants) who beat the dogsh1t out of MIT in a robotics competition.

http://rainierland.com...

Discuss.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 8:55:56 PM
At 9/21/2015 8:52:17 PM, TBR wrote:
This story has bugged me more and more as time has passed. There is plenty to discuss with regards to racial profiling and the likes - I have skipped over that to outrage at coverage giving the kid too much credit for engineering skills.

It is my position that breaking a working clock apart from its factory case, and inserting the resulting bits into a pencil case and calling it his "invention" is tantamount to plagiarizing his English homework. Further, that anyone celebrates the kids accomplishment as some example of engineering prodigy spells trouble for our expectations of students and our lack of understanding and respect about the complexity of actually making something yourself.

I present as an example of students doing the work that should be celebrated the true life story of a H.S. team (made up of illegal immigrants) who beat the dogsh1t out of MIT in a robotics competition.

Discuss.

whether he's a talented engineer is a peripheral concern, and it's not as if he's the one insisting he's an engineering genius, so don't libel him for someone else's dubious praise. The issue is whether the teachers and police officers acted appropriately, and whether islamophobia played a role in their response (I don't see reason to think it did).
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:17:17 PM
whether he's a talented engineer is a peripheral concern, and it's not as if he's the one insisting he's an engineering genius, so don't libel him for someone else's dubious praise. The issue is whether the teachers and police officers acted appropriately, and whether islamophobia played a role in their response (I don't see reason to think it did).

I disagree. I think it is more important. Further, it is he who says "My invention". Its bugging me.

Back on the kids that beat MIT. It was a cool story. They built a thing using minimal parts, with very little help or background. Point being, kids can and do make interesting electronic devices - not just break clocks.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:22:59 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:17:17 PM, TBR wrote:

I disagree. I think it is more important. Further, it is he who says "My invention". Its bugging me.

Back on the kids that beat MIT. It was a cool story. They built a thing using minimal parts, with very little help or background. Point being, kids can and do make interesting electronic devices - not just break clocks.

I've heard him speak,... he's not very precise or clear in his self-expression. Take "my invention" as a laconic approximation for "the thing I made out of some other things." I don't think he intends to portray his contraption as an actually novel creation.

Also, I find it silly that you think it's more important. The questions I raised apply to broader social issues concerning minority rights and police reform,... yours pertain to nothing except petty irritation about the details of an isolated case.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:50:09 PM
I've heard him speak,... he's not very precise or clear in his self-expression. Take "my invention" as a laconic approximation for "the thing I made out of some other things." I don't think he intends to portray his contraption as an actually novel creation.

Also, I find it silly that you think it's more important. The questions I raised apply to broader social issues concerning minority rights and police reform,... yours pertain to nothing except petty irritation about the details of an isolated case.

How is "my invention" substantively different than "my essay" when passing off someone else s work?

My point to "more important" I stick by. There are plenty of issues and discussions to be had regarding racial profiling. Serious discussions to say the least. This instance is using a very poor example of everyone's behavior. I don't think one of the topics getting enough attention is the shameful fawning over this students efforts, while there are similar aged children kicking MITs a$$ at USCB.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:08:27 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:01:45 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/21/2015 10:50:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Can you stop.

Whom, and why?

He is just making a joke about zero tolerance.