Jump to topic:

Scott Walker steps-down.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:07:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Scott Walker, the man who was once top of Republican Primary polls is falling out after his "We did it in Wis we can do it here" argument sent him to the top with his campaign against Unions. (https://www.yahoo.com...) Now he's dropping out like Rick Perry did. Thoughts on how this impacts the race?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:10:25 PM
I thought you meant he was stepping down from his position as governor of Wisconsin.

His poll numbers are so low it will hardly affect the race at this point.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:13:10 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:10:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I thought you meant he was stepping down from his position as governor of Wisconsin.

Agreed. It will still be interesting to see who benefits from the slight bump his supporters could be, though. My bet's on Trump and Fiorina benefiting, with Christie and Kasich seeing smaller gains.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:15:01 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:13:10 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Agreed. It will still be interesting to see who benefits from the slight bump his supporters could be, though. My bet's on Trump and Fiorina benefiting, with Christie and Kasich seeing smaller gains.

I mean, among the entirety of people who take part in polling for either party, he has less supporters than Lincoln Chafee. He has no impact anymore.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:15:46 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:15:01 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I mean, among the entirety of people who take part in polling for either party, he has less supporters than Lincoln Chafee. He has no impact anymore.

Lol...Trust me, in a crowded field, even .05% matters.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:17:59 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:15:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Not if it goes out to multiple candidates.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:18:07 PM

He was actually polling for 0% not too long ago.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:22:43 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:18:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:

He was actually polling for 0% not too long ago.

I was quoting what the article said...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:23:12 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:17:59 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Not if it goes out to multiple candidates.

That doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Every vote will count in Iowa, esp.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:24:57 PM
More to follow! Can't stump the Trump!

#WalkerWalks #TrumpTriumphs
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:29:55 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:24:57 PM, thett3 wrote:

Rofl
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:39:03 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:29:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Rofl

I am laughing so hard at how Trump is just DESTROYING the Republican field. Early on, Fivethirtyeight gave Walker about a 1/3rd chance at the nomination. I know that political analysts and commentators tend to overemphasize the importance of every political movement (that is their job after all) but the rise of Trump imo actually represents a significant event. Rightists--including me--are SICK of the Republican party losing on every issue that matters to them. Good thing we kept the corporate taxes low, though. We need a bigger tax base so we can save up for another pointless, suicidal war in the Middle East. Supporting Trump is a way, finally a way, to spit in the eye of the establishment. It kind of sucks that Walker is the first to go because he's actually far from the worst but the point remains. So yes. I hope Teflon Don keeps destroying the careers of these people
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:40:39 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:39:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Rofl

I am laughing so hard at how Trump is just DESTROYING the Republican field. Early on, Fivethirtyeight gave Walker about a 1/3rd chance at the nomination. I know that political analysts and commentators tend to overemphasize the importance of every political movement (that is their job after all) but the rise of Trump imo actually represents a significant event. Rightists--including me--are SICK of the Republican party losing on every issue that matters to them. Good thing we kept the corporate taxes low, though. We need a bigger tax base so we can save up for another pointless, suicidal war in the Middle East. Supporting Trump is a way, finally a way, to spit in the eye of the establishment. It kind of sucks that Walker is the first to go because he's actually far from the worst but the point remains. So yes. I hope Teflon Don keeps destroying the careers of these people

Do you intend to vote Trump?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:42:43 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:40:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/21/2015 9:39:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Rofl

If I vote, probably. If I could individually choose the Republican nominee, no. But since my vote does not actually matter except to me I'm not sure I can resist such an opportunity to spit in the eye of the politicians and the establishment

I know, I'm so edgy
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:43:55 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:42:43 PM, thett3 wrote:

If I vote, probably. If I could individually choose the Republican nominee, no. But since my vote does not actually matter except to me I'm not sure I can resist such an opportunity to spit in the eye of the politicians and the establishment

Okay...As long as you don't actually want Trump in the Whitehouse. If you could choose the nominee on your own, who'd be your pick? I am curious...

I know, I'm so edgy

Rofl...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:51:00 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:43:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Okay...As long as you don't actually want Trump in the Whitehouse. If you could choose the nominee on your own, who'd be your pick? I am curious...

Definitely Rand Paul. I am not anywhere close to the libertarian I once was but it's like...other than Trump, Paul is the only one of the lot who seems to be living in reality. Look at their answers on foreign policy. The other candidates are living in an alternate reality where the American military is weak. I understand that as the hegemon we will obviously spend way more on our military than the average country and I'm okay with that. I'm even okay with interventionism in lots of circumstances (even though obviously the past few like Iraq and Libya were handled very poorly) but the fear mongering about how Obama has made us weak is just factually wrong.

There are a ton of other similar issues that I'm not going to get into right now that are similar. I wish Ted Cruz wasn't so radical because he's a smart guy and I respect his fighter attitude, but he just picks the wrong issues. Shutting down the government over Obamacare is stupid, and Kim Davis is an idiot. I sometimes think that Cruz, like Trump, is just a political troll

I know, I'm so edgy

Rofl...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:52:53 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:51:00 PM, thett3 wrote:

Definitely Rand Paul. I am not anywhere close to the libertarian I once was but it's like...other than Trump, Paul is the only one of the lot who seems to be living in reality. Look at their answers on foreign policy. The other candidates are living in an alternate reality where the American military is weak. I understand that as the hegemon we will obviously spend way more on our military than the average country and I'm okay with that. I'm even okay with interventionism in lots of circumstances (even though obviously the past few like Iraq and Libya were handled very poorly) but the fear mongering about how Obama has made us weak is just factually wrong.

I will say though that I agree that Obama's decision to just up and leave Iraq was incredibly bad. When you destabilize a region, you have to remain there as a stabilizing force. The Iraq war was a horrible policy decision, obviously, but just up and leaving was the worst way to handle it.

There are a ton of other similar issues that I'm not going to get into right now that are similar. I wish Ted Cruz wasn't so radical because he's a smart guy and I respect his fighter attitude, but he just picks the wrong issues. Shutting down the government over Obamacare is stupid, and Kim Davis is an idiot. I sometimes think that Cruz, like Trump, is just a political troll

I know, I'm so edgy

Rofl...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:54:11 PM

So much this. So, so much this.

I don't really dislike Rand Paul...I dislike some of his positions, but I don't see him as a buffoon. The best GOP candidate ever was, IMO, John Huntsman, but he's woefully un-electable in the red world the GOP exists in now.

Agreed, here. Frankly, I just think Cruz would say anything to win...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:02:34 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:54:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't really dislike Rand Paul...I dislike some of his positions, but I don't see him as a buffoon. The best GOP candidate ever was, IMO, John Huntsman, but he's woefully un-electable in the red world the GOP exists in now.

I don't know much about him, but I've heard a lot of center-left people saying the same thing. American politics has become very polarized for a variety of reasons, but I think part of the reason GOP voters are unwilling to support a moderate candidate is because we've already seen that happen and if the unexciting, establishment, moderate candidate actually manages to win all they will do is whatever their donors tell them to do. Bush could have done almost ANYTHING in the wake of 9/11, and what did he choose to do? What is the legacy of the Bush administration? Starting pointless wars and appointing justices like John Roberts? No, screw the establishment. Clinton was more right wing on a lot of issues in 1996 than Jeb Bush is now (seriously, check out the 1996 Democratic platform it's insane). Nice job CONSERVING things, establishment. They're far more interested in winning than anything else, but hey, at least we only raised the marginal tax rate on incomes over $450,000 instead of $250,000.

Agreed, here. Frankly, I just think Cruz would say anything to win...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:05:46 PM
At 9/21/2015 10:02:34 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't know much about him, but I've heard a lot of center-left people saying the same thing. American politics has become very polarized for a variety of reasons, but I think part of the reason GOP voters are unwilling to support a moderate candidate is because we've already seen that happen and if the unexciting, establishment, moderate candidate actually manages to win all they will do is whatever their donors tell them to do. Bush could have done almost ANYTHING in the wake of 9/11, and what did he choose to do? What is the legacy of the Bush administration? Starting pointless wars and appointing justices like John Roberts? No, screw the establishment. Clinton was more right wing on a lot of issues in 1996 than Jeb Bush is now (seriously, check out the 1996 Democratic platform it's insane). Nice job CONSERVING things, establishment. They're far more interested in winning than anything else, but hey, at least we only raised the marginal tax rate on incomes over $450,000 instead of $250,000.

IDK...there is something to be said for winning. It typically means some big-issue subjects (like abortion, for instance) are kept on the right. But, generally, I can see where you're coming from.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:09:05 PM
At 9/21/2015 10:05:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/21/2015 10:02:34 PM, thett3 wrote:

IDK...there is something to be said for winning. It typically means some big-issue subjects (like abortion, for instance) are kept on the right. But, generally, I can see where you're coming from.

Yes, the GOP has done well on abortion and gun rights (although that's more due to the NRA and the fact that massive amounts of Americans are actually gun owners), but that's about it. I can't go so far as to say they're completely useless, but anyone who does not realize that they're controlled by big money simply isn't paying attention. The democrats definitely have this issue too (look at Clintons list of top donors...) but for various reasons the problem isn't as bad. Yet.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:17:38 PM

I know, but I'm shocked how his popularity fell so quickly.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:14:19 PM
Holy sh*t... I mean it is still relatively early. I mean I don't think Donald Trump's popularity will last forever (I hope this is the case).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:20:30 PM
Originally, I thought Walker would be one of the ideal choices for the GOP (Marco Rubio is the other). Too boring is the only way to put it.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:30:55 PM
At 9/21/2015 10:17:38 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I know, but I'm shocked how his popularity fell so quickly.

Same here. He was one of the *better* candidates imho...
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:31:21 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:20:30 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Originally, I thought Walker would be one of the ideal choices for the GOP

I agree. :/
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:33:07 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:07:26 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Scott Walker, the man who was once top of Republican Primary polls is falling out after his "We did it in Wis we can do it here" argument sent him to the top with his campaign against Unions. (https://www.yahoo.com...) Now he's dropping out like Rick Perry did. Thoughts on how this impacts the race?

Do you still Stand with Rand? I surely hope he doesn't drop out, he's a Top 3 for sure.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:40:12 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:52:53 PM, thett3 wrote:

I will say though that I agree that Obama's decision to just up and leave Iraq was incredibly bad. When you destabilize a region, you have to remain there as a stabilizing force. The Iraq war was a horrible policy decision, obviously, but just up and leaving was the worst way to handle it.

That was not simply "Obama's decision". It was a plan put in motion by Bush and in case you forgot the Iraqi parliament voted to kick us out. The more grave incredibly poor decisions was overthrowing the Iraqi regime that stabilized the country and kept Iran's influence over the Shia majority in check.

I know, I'm so edgy

Rofl...