Jump to topic:

My Newfound Respect for John Boehner

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 6:54:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If I could pick anyone out of Congress to define cynicism, John Boehner would be it. I may disagree with him on a great number of things, but anyone who resigns from Speaker of the House, and says this gets my respect:

On Republicans in Congress: "The Bible says beware of false prophets. And there are people out there spreading noise about how much can get done."

Specifically on the promises of the GOP to defund Obamacare with the government shutdown: "This plan never had a chance. But over the course of the August recess in 2013 and the course of September, a lot of my Republican colleagues who knew it was a fool's errand, they were getting a lot of pressure at home to do this. And so we got groups here in town, members, the House and Senate here in town who whipped people into a frenzy believing they could accomplish things that they know, they know are never going to happen."

And this is his glorious middle finger to the Tea Party. I love it.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 6:56:23 PM
At 9/27/2015 6:54:09 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
If I could pick anyone out of Congress to define cynicism, John Boehner would be it. I may disagree with him on a great number of things, but anyone who resigns from Speaker of the House, and says this gets my respect:

On Republicans in Congress: "The Bible says beware of false prophets. And there are people out there spreading noise about how much can get done."

Specifically on the promises of the GOP to defund Obamacare with the government shutdown: "This plan never had a chance. But over the course of the August recess in 2013 and the course of September, a lot of my Republican colleagues who knew it was a fool's errand, they were getting a lot of pressure at home to do this. And so we got groups here in town, members, the House and Senate here in town who whipped people into a frenzy believing they could accomplish things that they know, they know are never going to happen."

And this is his glorious middle finger to the Tea Party. I love it.

+1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 7:19:27 PM
John Boehner is wrong.

"The House of Representatives can not only refuse, but they alone can propose, the supplies requisite for the support of government. They, in a word, hold the purse that powerful instrument by which we behold, in the history of the British Constitution, an infant and humble representation of the people gradually enlarging the sphere of its activity and importance, and finally reducing, as far as it seems to have wished, all the overgrown prerogatives of the other branches of the government."

-- James Madison, The Federalist #58

"The House of Representatives, according to Article I, Section 7, has sole claim to the proverbial purse strings of the treasury."

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2015 12:14:29 AM
At 9/27/2015 10:49:10 PM, Wylted wrote:
How is that a middle finger to the tea party?

He's calling those who think an uncompromising conservative agenda can pass this Congress (i.e. the Tea Party) know better, and that despite knowing better, peddle a line that would suggest otherwise. Hence, such people are "false prophets" and deserve to go to hell.

IMHO an appropriate description of Ted Cruz, but I digress.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?