Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Foreign Affairs Breifing V1

TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 6:05:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

"When elected on April 14, 2013, he defeated his opponent, Henrique Capriles, by approximately 1.5%"

What is 1.5%? Is it the difference in the popular vote of the country? If so it would seem that the country has a democracy, I don't see any problems thus far with the government.

"This is incorrect because poor micro-management of the economy..."

How did he do a poor job of micro-managing? You tell me that he micro-manages, but he could have done a great job micro-managing, explain to me how he did a 'bad' job micromanaging.

"...sanctioning of seven Venezuelan officials by the U.S. for human rights violations."

Explain how the US violated Human Rights, I am interested.

What do you think the US can do to help this country? Should we help this country? Is it within our authority, or none of our buisness?
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:17:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/3/2015 6:05:11 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

"When elected on April 14, 2013, he defeated his opponent, Henrique Capriles, by approximately 1.5%"

What is 1.5%? Is it the difference in the popular vote of the country? If so it would seem that the country has a democracy, I don't see any problems thus far with the government.

Yes, this was a percentage of the general elections in the country. While this is a democracy, it is the policies and procedures of the current presidency that define the country's systematic failure.

"This is incorrect because poor micro-management of the economy..."

How did he do a poor job of micro-managing? You tell me that he micro-manages, but he could have done a great job micro-managing, explain to me how he did a 'bad' job micromanaging.

These lessons of micro-managing have repeated in places like Russia and Cuba. The socialist government nationalized grocery stores, so that there could be "free" food provided to the country. It turns out, money for that has to come from somewhere, and the shelves are empty in these stores due to an economic recession. Also, the government has enacted strict price controls on goods and services that some citizens just cannot afford. While a lot of this has been passed along by Chavez, Maduro isn't helping the problem, only making it worse. Venezuela has also been known to falsify economic numbers (like China), disguising high inflation rates and unemployment. Everyone knows they are doing a horrible job, but the government does not want to publicize how terrible, because they are doing nothing about their current predicaments.

"...sanctioning of seven Venezuelan officials by the U.S. for human rights violations."

Explain how the US violated Human Rights, I am interested.

Well, the U.S. sanctioned the Venezuelan officials for Human rights violations. Specifically, they participated in public corruption that consumed economic resources that could be used otherwise to feed the population and provide basic necessities, which there is a shortage of.

What do you think the US can do to help this country? Should we help this country? Is it within our authority, or none of our buisness?

There is nothing the U.S. can do as of now, because of the current president in office. Once the opposition gains control and starts to clean up, we can begin the repair of relations with Venezuela. I think we should because they are a large exporter of oil, and they are a valuable asset to the world crude exchanges. Assuming a better leader is in place and relations are fixed, non-profit relief organizations could provide food and basic items to the population. I do think it is within our authority because there is a genuine crisis at hand, and the population requires assistance.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 2:11:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/3/2015 10:17:05 PM, TheProphett wrote:

I like your OP, so I will try to make a substantial discussion about it.

Is the US system better than Venezuela? (Also do they still have a democracy or was that abolished after the guy was elected?)
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:09:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 2:11:56 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/3/2015 10:17:05 PM, TheProphett wrote:

I like your OP, so I will try to make a substantial discussion about it.

Is the US system better than Venezuela? (Also do they still have a democracy or was that abolished after the guy was elected?)

Yes it is, because absolute power (ruling by decree) is much easier to obtain in Venezuela than it is in the U.S. (you would have to have a control over congress to a large extent). In fact, much of Maduro's policies and laws have been passed during his reign in absolute power, which enabled him to act without the consent of the other governmental branches. One similarity we do share is corruption. Our politicians are bought off by corporations to pass/vote against laws to benefit the said corporation. There, in Venezuela, the ruling party jails the opposition.

Venezuela does still have a democracy, because Maduro is not ruling by decree as of right now. Maduro would never get away with totally demolishing democracy, he would be immediately overthrown. I wouldn't call what Maduro has presently set up as a democracy, more of a veiled dictatorship. He obviously controls all of the government, and can make swift moves whether it be wiping out opposition or passing laws without the consent of the governed. One thing Venezuela could have done to stop this from getting out of hand was to limit the ability of the National Assembly to grant absolute power to a political figure.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:14:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:09:02 AM, TheProphett wrote:
At 10/4/2015 2:11:56 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/3/2015 10:17:05 PM, TheProphett wrote:

I like your OP, so I will try to make a substantial discussion about it.

Is the US system better than Venezuela? (Also do they still have a democracy or was that abolished after the guy was elected?)

Yes it is, because absolute power (ruling by decree) is much easier to obtain in Venezuela than it is in the U.S. (you would have to have a control over congress to a large extent). In fact, much of Maduro's policies and laws have been passed during his reign in absolute power, which enabled him to act without the consent of the other governmental branches. One similarity we do share is corruption. Our politicians are bought off by corporations to pass/vote against laws to benefit the said corporation. There, in Venezuela, the ruling party jails the opposition.

Venezuela does still have a democracy, because Maduro is not ruling by decree as of right now. Maduro would never get away with totally demolishing democracy, he would be immediately overthrown. I wouldn't call what Maduro has presently set up as a democracy, more of a veiled dictatorship. He obviously controls all of the government, and can make swift moves whether it be wiping out opposition or passing laws without the consent of the governed. One thing Venezuela could have done to stop this from getting out of hand was to limit the ability of the National Assembly to grant absolute power to a political figure.

So Maudro is able to get more government progress completed because he has absolute power correct?
YYW
Posts: 36,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south amercian version of Iran.
Tsar of DDO
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:07:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So Maudro is able to get more government progress completed because he has absolute power correct?

Technically, yes. If his party controls Parliament, then he could still have passed what he wanted. The only reason he sought the ruling by decree was so that he could enact things based upon his wants immediately.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:09:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south American version of Iran.

It is quite sad. Nothing short of a nationwide purge of corrupt politicians can turn this around. The people will just have to bestow their trust in the right people, or this process can go on forever.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:00:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south amercian version of Iran.

Lol the quality of a country ist solely dependent upon the quality of its food, according to this idea is America a good country?
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:03:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 1:07:42 PM, TheProphett wrote:
So Maudro is able to get more government progress completed because he has absolute power correct?

Technically, yes. If his party controls Parliament, then he could still have passed what he wanted. The only reason he sought the ruling by decree was so that he could enact things based upon his wants immediately.

So then Venezuela is much more productive ductile in terms of 'getting stuff done' than we are. I feel Venezuela is much better a country than we are then. Stupid democracy...
YYW
Posts: 36,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:31:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:00:52 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south amercian version of Iran.

Lol the quality of a country ist solely dependent upon the quality of its food, according to this idea is America a good country?

If the standard for "good food" (which would imply that access to the same is important) then America would be the greatest country in the world, because there is no other place with such variety and quality as here.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:31:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:31:14 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/4/2015 3:00:52 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south amercian version of Iran.

Lol the quality of a country ist solely dependent upon the quality of its food, according to this idea is America a good country?

If the standard for a good country is "good food" (which would imply that access to the same is important) then America would be the greatest country in the world, because there is no other place with such variety and quality as here.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:49:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/4/2015 3:31:14 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/4/2015 3:00:52 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/4/2015 3:49:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/2/2015 12:05:30 AM, TheProphett wrote:
I will be submitting this as part of the Weekly OP contest hosted by bsh1. Please feel free to criticize make edits, contradict my writing, and even point out that my reasoning is plain stupid. Thanks all!
https://docs.google.com...

I wish Venezuela was not ruled by crazy politicians... it's such a beautiful country, with a rich cultural heritage and --most importantly-- delicious food. It's like a south amercian version of Iran.

Lol the quality of a country ist solely dependent upon the quality of its food, according to this idea is America a good country?

If the standard for "good food" (which would imply that access to the same is important) then America would be the greatest country in the world, because there is no other place with such variety and quality as here.

I see your point but I was looking for strict, "American style" food. Like hot dogs, hamburgers, buffalo wings, baked beans, etc.