Jump to topic:

Legal Rights, Gun Rights and Nationalization

Christdecalisse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 1:21:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If a right is something that the governing body owes it's citizens would it be constitutional for a government to nationalize gun manufacturing to guarantee every citizen access to arms - regardless of any barrier including wealth - given that there is a right to bear Arms with no statement of exclusion?
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 1:48:17 AM
At 10/2/2015 1:21:44 AM, Christdecalisse wrote:
If a right is something that the governing body owes it's citizens would it be constitutional for a government to nationalize gun manufacturing to guarantee every citizen access to arms - regardless of any barrier including wealth - given that there is a right to bear Arms with no statement of exclusion?

There are statements of exclusion. Felons and the mentally ill are prohibited from owning guns.
Christdecalisse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 1:58:45 AM
There are statements of exclusion. Felons and the mentally ill are prohibited from owning guns.

I am speaking more hypothetically to understand if it would be within the legal limits to nationalize. Even with those two exclusions, do you think it would it be within the legal limit of the government to nationalize arms production to give guns to all desiring citizens who were not found to be excluded due to their criminal or mental health status?
Also, the exclusions make me wonder, if some citizens have a right and others do not, then isn't it more of a privilege?
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 3:56:56 AM
At 10/2/2015 1:58:45 AM, Christdecalisse wrote:

I am speaking more hypothetically to understand if it would be within the legal limits to nationalize. Even with those two exclusions, do you think it would it be within the legal limit of the government to nationalize arms production to give guns to all desiring citizens who were not found to be excluded due to their criminal or mental health status?
Also, the exclusions make me wonder, if some citizens have a right and others do not, then isn't it more of a privilege?

It's technically not illegal to manufacture a gun. You know that right?

Well, it is a right. A right denied to those who seem likely to abuse it.