Jump to topic:

YYW on Gun Control

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:18:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Every single time there is a mass shooting in this country, we do nothing of meaning. Our thoughts and prayers, as Obama rightfully said, are not enough. They will not be enough for the families torn apart by senseless violence of the mentally deranged. They will not be enough for the communities scarred by those instances of tragedy. How many more times will it happen? This, it seems, is the new norm; it's a sad reflection on us as a country.
Tsar of DDO
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:23:22 AM
At 10/2/2015 4:18:26 AM, YYW wrote:
Every single time there is a mass shooting in this country, we do nothing of meaning. Our thoughts and prayers, as Obama rightfully said, are not enough. They will not be enough for the families torn apart by senseless violence of the mentally deranged. They will not be enough for the communities scarred by those instances of tragedy. How many more times will it happen? This, it seems, is the new norm; it's a sad reflection on us as a country.

Thank you. I mean, someone give the you and Obama a mic to drop, please. Though, you know how it goes. "Obummer just wants to take our guns. He';s a Muslim trying to destroy America!" Maybe because it was in my backyard... Maybe I'm just young. But, I'll never know why my intellectual idol moved here. I can say, with confidence, I'm highly considering moving to Iceland to get away from all the idiots, politics, and mass shootings. I don't even know what to do or fight for anymore. They want more guns, thinking more guns and concealed carry helps (note they say the same about the military, yet the way that guy in the past two months or so rolled up, he would have still likely killed them all, but that's moot), and in all this chaos... It's sad that such a thing feels normal. It's just so.... sickening.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 6:07:38 AM

This is really just platitudes with little substance. Frankly, the constant politicizing of the random school shooting disgusts me. These are not new; they've been going on for decades. They also are a tiny fraction of overall gun violence, usually have nothing to do with automatic weapons, which are already banned, and are ONLY dragged into the policy debate spotlight before the blood has dried because it's a marketing campaign. It's a marketing campaign cynically designed to scare middle-class white people by implying that they, too, are vulnerable to the gun violence which they are normally content to ignore as it festers out of sight. If we really wanted to address gun violence, we'd be looking at inner city violence and handguns, not becoming hysterical over already banned automatic weapons every time a lunatic shoots up a school.

The flat truth is that school shootings are not a problem when you look at the grand picture. They're rare. They just strike at the progeny of a particularly sheltered sector of society and shake their feelings of untouchability, so SOMETHING MUST BE DONE, apparently by people who are completely uninformed when it comes to both firearms and murder statistics.

You want to fix gun violence, America? Then stop pretending that almost 70% of it exists.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 8:09:07 AM
At 10/2/2015 6:07:38 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This is really just platitudes with little substance. Frankly, the constant politicizing of the random school shooting disgusts me. These are not new; they've been going on for decades. They also are a tiny fraction of overall gun violence, usually have nothing to do with automatic weapons, which are already banned, and are ONLY dragged into the policy debate spotlight before the blood has dried because it's a marketing campaign. It's a marketing campaign cynically designed to scare middle-class white people by implying that they, too, are vulnerable to the gun violence which they are normally content to ignore as it festers out of sight. If we really wanted to address gun violence, we'd be looking at inner city violence and handguns, not becoming hysterical over already banned automatic weapons every time a lunatic shoots up a school.

The flat truth is that school shootings are not a problem when you look at the grand picture. They're rare. They just strike at the progeny of a particularly sheltered sector of society and shake their feelings of untouchability, so SOMETHING MUST BE DONE, apparently by people who are completely uninformed when it comes to both firearms and murder statistics.

You want to fix gun violence, America? Then stop pretending that almost 70% of it exists.

While I agree that OP is just platitudes and, honestly, or so far as I am concerned anyway, just aggravating to read from this clown to begin with ... I do not think you have yourself so cut off from this as you'd like us to believe. Stop being so neurotic, eh? And Skep gets mad that we should be getting so neurotic, almost an obeisance paid to us sensitive folk who can't block it all out like he can. What you think?

The flat truth is that this is wrong. You know it, and I know it. Morals aside, Skep. If you've ever loved someone, this is wrong.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:14:41 PM
At 10/2/2015 5:23:22 AM, Berend wrote:

Thank you. I mean, someone give the you and Obama a mic to drop, please. Though, you know how it goes. "Obummer just wants to take our guns. He';s a Muslim trying to destroy America!" Maybe because it was in my backyard... Maybe I'm just young. But, I'll never know why my intellectual idol moved here. I can say, with confidence, I'm highly considering moving to Iceland to get away from all the idiots, politics, and mass shootings. I don't even know what to do or fight for anymore. They want more guns, thinking more guns and concealed carry helps (note they say the same about the military, yet the way that guy in the past two months or so rolled up, he would have still likely killed them all, but that's moot), and in all this chaos... It's sad that such a thing feels normal. It's just so.... sickening.

I agree.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:36:14 PM

There have been 141 mass shootings since Columbine; 40 of which have happened this year. That is a problem.
Tsar of DDO
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:34:57 PM
At 10/2/2015 12:36:14 PM, YYW wrote:

There have been 141 mass shootings since Columbine; 40 of which have happened this year. That is a problem.

You either didn't read what Skep wrote, or you chose to ignore it and pull a complete circle back to mass shootings. This is why people who support gun rights refuse to deal with anti-gunners. Because when push comes to shove you can't make practical suggestions to actual problems. You can only react with emotion in support of whatever government mandated "fix" they have to offer you..

When forced to acknowledge these "fixes" would not have prevented 140 of the 141 cases your heart bleeds for, you smugly ignore that as inconvenient and insist in the sensibility of your reform.

You content yourself by calling gun rights supporters crazy and paranoid. You stress over and over that "no one is going to take your guns" when all the while gun control laws and proposals become progressively more restrictive and liberal bastions like NY, CA, DC & Chicago make personal gun ownership a liability and as onerous as humanly possible. And in fact, are seizing personally owned guns from citizens without due process in many many cases already.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

You almost certainly have little to no gun knowledge or experience, you are devoid of solutions for reducing violence that are not guided by ideological oppositions to a simple tool and when faced with fact, you conjur pictures of dying white people to support your call for reform.

This is why, as a gun rights supporter, I generally refuse to support any of the asinine and overbearing ideas that come from the left regarding guns.

Thanks!
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 3:25:53 PM

I have been working on a post since last night, and don't have it right yet.

The normal bickering will ensue. The RKBA will say "control will not stop....". I have said as many times as I can think that it is not up to anyone on the anti-gun side to fix this. We would be willing to listen to any suggestions, all we get back is "leave us alone.."

What I really want is a change in attitude about guns in the US. The fetish of guns. We have turned them into sexual objects, and backed by rights, made them available to every looser who wants one.

I really don't know at this point. PSAs, and celebrities talking about how unsexy guns are? Seriously. If the only ones proposing solutions are the ones that BETTER THAN HALF the US back, and the minority still is winning out, we need to get some input from you guys. Just what do gun-supporters want?
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 3:47:21 PM
After the Charleston Shooting, Obama brought up how racist we are as Americans (and also discussed his gun control agenda). Now this Oregon creep targets and kills Christians and you hear NOTHING from Obama on that topic. He only talks up gun control and himself. How on Earth can anybody like Obama as a leader of this country??
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 3:53:17 PM
At 10/2/2015 3:47:21 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
After the Charleston Shooting, Obama brought up how racist we are as Americans (and also discussed his gun control agenda). Now this Oregon creep targets and kills Christians and you hear NOTHING from Obama on that topic. He only talks up gun control and himself. How on Earth can anybody like Obama as a leader of this country??

Nice deflecting.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 3:53:25 PM

I agree with both sides on this issue actually. I agree with YYW. When you hear the justification from most gun owners why high capacity magazines should be available, it becomes difficult not to see them as detached from reality. On the other hand, I agree with Skeps. The proposals from gun haters in the government almost never address the vast meat of gun killings, likely because it is certain third rail racism to even acknowledge the mere existence of the many inner city gun deaths.

It's not really a wonder that nothing substantial will change in this environment.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:02:33 PM
At 10/2/2015 3:53:25 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I agree with both sides on this issue actually. I agree with YYW. When you hear the justification from most gun owners why high capacity magazines should be available, it becomes difficult not to see them as detached from reality. On the other hand, I agree with Skeps. The proposals from gun haters in the government almost never address the vast meat of gun killings, likely because it is certain third rail racism to even acknowledge the mere existence of the many inner city gun deaths.

It's not really a wonder that nothing substantial will change in this environment.

The motivation for gun deaths, the inter city problem, is different. These are two different situations. Lumping them, and saying "we cant deal with the one without the other" is again just deflecting.

Want me to say the VAST majority of gun deaths come from a problem apart from mass shootings? OK. I say just that. Now, what are we going to do about EACH problem.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:08:07 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:02:33 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/2/2015 3:53:25 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The motivation for gun deaths, the inter city problem, is different. These are two different situations. Lumping them, and saying "we cant deal with the one without the other" is again just deflecting.

Want me to say the VAST majority of gun deaths come from a problem apart from mass shootings? OK. I say just that. Now, what are we going to do about EACH problem.

That's great, but at least be honest and say that 20 whites mowed down quickly are more important that thousands of blacks gunned down individually daily. If that is what you believe is a call to action.....
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:11:22 PM
And really TBR, you just proved my point. The fact that people want to nuance the problem of gun deaths in America as a multi-tiered problem makes it impossible to make any unified headway. There is no reasonable justification to prioritize one death over another on the basis of skin color.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:17:46 PM

Yeah, and look at them on a map: http://www.vox.com...

They cluster in liberal areas, especially cities, where there is bound to be MORE gun control legislation. Look at the midwest; it's a desert compared to the eastern seaboard and California. When you compare gun ownership statistics on a worldwide basis with gun violence, there is a slight inverse correlation. All of the data points, consistently, to the fact that the lack of gun control is not the cause here. You'd have to come up with a HUGE confounding variable to explain away the hard results that we're seeing here.

And it's a problem, but it is an absurdly small one compared to more statistically significant gun violence, which typically takes place in cities where there are stricter gun control laws. The facts aren't on your side on this, whether we're talking about the efficacy of gun control or the importance of these killings in the grand scheme of things. What the left has is a distinct gun control fetish; they like the idea of taking away those dumb rednecks' guns, and every time a mass shooting takes place they drag the still-warm corpses of the victims into the public eye in order to justify a 'solution' which doesn't solve anything.

Gun violence isn't a problem because of the guns, it's a problem because of the violence. And the solution is going to have to be multifaceted, and a lot more complex than 'stop them from getting guns'. It's a racialized problem, for one, and any attempt to fix it will have to address the state of black families where incarceration has become a tragic right of passage for black male youth, and feeds gang recruitment within that demographic. It's definitely tied into the black market around drugs, so drug law reform would also do a lot more to curb gun violence than gun control ever would. There are two reforms which would actually address the root causes of the problem, but I guarantee that nobody will talk about them as the farcical gun control debate drowns everything else out.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:23:56 PM
That's great, but at least be honest and say that 20 whites mowed down quickly are more important that thousands of blacks gunned down individually daily. If that is what you believe is a call to action.....

Well... Nooo. Or yes, possibly.

I will not say they are less importation, but they are to the vast majority of Americans. It is cynical to dodge either issue when speaking of the gun problem.

Don't use the one problem to deflect attention from the other. That is my point.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:25:32 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:11:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
And really TBR, you just proved my point. The fact that people want to nuance the problem of gun deaths in America as a multi-tiered problem makes it impossible to make any unified headway. There is no reasonable justification to prioritize one death over another on the basis of skin color.

It seems that you are. I have not introduced race into this, you have. There is a criminal and poverty problem on the one hand, and another problem on the other.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:32:25 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:17:46 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, and look at them on a map: http://www.vox.com...

They cluster in liberal areas, especially cities, where there is bound to be MORE gun control legislation. Look at the midwest; it's a desert compared to the eastern seaboard and California. When you compare gun ownership statistics on a worldwide basis with gun violence, there is a slight inverse correlation. All of the data points, consistently, to the fact that the lack of gun control is not the cause here. You'd have to come up with a HUGE confounding variable to explain away the hard results that we're seeing here.

And it's a problem, but it is an absurdly small one compared to more statistically significant gun violence, which typically takes place in cities where there are stricter gun control laws. The facts aren't on your side on this, whether we're talking about the efficacy of gun control or the importance of these killings in the grand scheme of things. What the left has is a distinct gun control fetish; they like the idea of taking away those dumb rednecks' guns, and every time a mass shooting takes place they drag the still-warm corpses of the victims into the public eye in order to justify a 'solution' which doesn't solve anything.

Gun violence isn't a problem because of the guns, it's a problem because of the violence. And the solution is going to have to be multifaceted, and a lot more complex than 'stop them from getting guns'. It's a racialized problem, for one, and any attempt to fix it will have to address the state of black families where incarceration has become a tragic right of passage for black male youth, and feeds gang recruitment within that demographic. It's definitely tied into the black market around drugs, so drug law reform would also do a lot more to curb gun violence than gun control ever would. There are two reforms which would actually address the root causes of the problem, but I guarantee that nobody will talk about them as the farcical gun control debate drowns everything else out.

+1
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:38:16 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:25:32 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/2/2015 4:11:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It seems that you are. I have not introduced race into this, you have. There is a criminal and poverty problem on the one hand, and another problem on the other.

Skeps said what I really wanted to say, that once again we will ignore the violence aspect of this issue. By doing so, the crazies feel justified defending the right to own high capacity clip firearms.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:42:48 PM
Skeps said what I really wanted to say, that once again we will ignore the violence aspect of this issue. By doing so, the crazies feel justified defending the right to own high capacity clip firearms.

Well, to you and Skeps I say you are deflecting. "Look over there...". Yea there is a problem when theses events become so common that they barely get one news day. If you are willing to dismiss the problem as insignificant by pointing at another problem gun-supporters are unwilling to deal with then I call it as I see it. Burying your heads in the sand.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:50:42 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:42:48 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, to you and Skeps I say you are deflecting. "Look over there...". Yea there is a problem when theses events become so common that they barely get one news day. If you are willing to dismiss the problem as insignificant by pointing at another problem gun-supporters are unwilling to deal with then I call it as I see it. Burying your heads in the sand.

I disagree, I think far less people would say "they are just trying to take our guns" if it were not so obvious that the government consistently takes such extreme efforts to pretend gun control is the only feasible issue and solution. Focusing on only the mass white killings is just icing on the cake for them.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:53:49 PM
A "conservative Republican" who "targeted Christians"...

I'm skeptical.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:54:40 PM
I disagree, I think far less people would say "they are just trying to take our guns" if it were not so obvious that the government consistently takes such extreme efforts to pretend gun control is the only feasible issue and solution. Focusing on only the mass white killings is just icing on the cake for them.

I have not seen any serious attempt to "take your guns" from any politician.

What I would like is a complete change in the attitude towards guns. Most people don't need a gun. We have been going the wrong direction on this one. The solution is not MORE guns, more people with guns, and more places they can carry them around. That is a cultural problem.

Guns are attached to masculinity, sexuality and a host of things that have nothing to do with their real necessity.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:03:34 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:42:48 PM, TBR wrote:

Lol, I'm sorry, but the cognitive dissonance here is astounding. You're ignoring almost 70% of gun violence, focusing instead on a ridiculously small minority. I mean, mass shootings are an absurdly small subset: 547 people have been killed since 1983 in mass shootings. Compare that to 68,720 firearm related murders between 2007 and 2011. (http://www.ncdsv.org...). We're not the ones with our heads in the sand.
- Hilaire Belloc -
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:03:52 PM
At 10/2/2015 3:53:17 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/2/2015 3:47:21 PM, AdamEsk wrote:

Nice deflecting.

I do my best. He views these shootings only as opportunities to promote his agenda and add to his legacy (makes me sick). Obama's entire approach to handling National Tragedies is complete trash and you know it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:06:34 PM

Lol, I'm sorry, but the cognitive dissonance here is astounding. You're ignoring almost 70% of gun violence, focusing instead on a ridiculously small minority. I mean, mass shootings are an absurdly small subset: 547 people have been killed since 1983 in mass shootings. Compare that to 68,720 firearm related murders between 2007 and 2011. (http://www.ncdsv.org...). We're not the ones with our heads in the sand.

No... No I am not. You can say that, but the first post I acknowledged that. Two problems, right?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:16:32 PM
At 10/2/2015 5:06:34 PM, TBR wrote:

No... No I am not. You can say that, but the first post I acknowledged that. Two problems, right?

42,000 people killed in four years (10,000/year) is a huge problem (conservative estimate of inner city deaths based on previous trends). 547 people killed over 30 years (1983-2013), or 18/year, is a trifle by comparison, yet you are DEMANDING that is be addressed with an insistence which is farcical in light of the numbers. A subset which is 0.1% of the problem deserves 0.1% of our attention. I cannot take seriously any proposal to give it more spotlight than it's already been given while 99.9% (LITERALLY 99.9% No hyperpole!) of gun violence goes unaddressed
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:19:18 PM
42,000 people killed in four years (10,000/year) is a huge problem (conservative estimate of inner city deaths based on previous trends). 547 people killed over 30 years (1983-2013), or 18/year, is a trifle by comparison, yet you are DEMANDING that is be addressed with an insistence which is farcical in light of the numbers. A subset which is 0.1% of the problem deserves 0.1% of our attention. I cannot take seriously any proposal to give it more spotlight than it's already been given while 99.9% (LITERALLY 99.9% No hyperpole!) of gun violence goes unaddressed

Yup. Huge problem. Acknowledged. 10-4. No argument. Is that enough for you?

Now, stop with the "look over there" and talk about ANOTHER problem. Mass shooting incidents.