Tajshar2k's guide to reducing Gun violence

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 6:30:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. Improve the Mental health system

This is a huge one. The sooner we can help mentally ill people from committing such actions, the less atrocities will occur. Get rid of the problem before it evolves.

2. End the War on Drugs.

Most gun violence comes from gangs, so take their way of making money, and they cease to exist eventually, because their way of making revenue is going to be a lot harder. Legalization doesn't mean, more people will do drugs. Still, I'm willing to go with a state right's issue on this for now. But, I'd encourage states to legalize drugs.

3. Make background checks more strict.

Our background checks are not doing enough. Only about 1% of people who actually have background checks are denied a permit. We need to make background checks more thorough, and gun sellers should lose their license (temporary ) if they sell it to an unfit person.

4. We all need to join together to take the NRA's influence.

Ever wonder why nothing ever gets accomplished? Guys like the NRA have so much influence in politics, they will make it their mission to prevent any sort of gun legalization. However, this isn't unfixable. We Americans can get together and stand for what we believe in, making the NRA's goal useless.

Now, let me go over some myths from both Conservatives and Liberals.

Conservatives like to say...

1. Criminals still get guns.

This isn't an excuse to have no gun control. We have laws for a reason. If Criminals can still drive on a red light, is that a good reason to abolish the red light on a traffic light? We have laws to punish these criminals.

2. Gun control will leave law abiding citizens from owning guns.

This is a half-truth. Banning guns completely will, but most people do not support that. Conservatives want to spread their agenda by saying gun control in general, but really only a ban would fulfill that. A sensible gun control would do nothing to prevent abiding citizens, because a law abiding citizen should be able to pass any background check.

3. If everybody is armed, then criminals will won't commit crime.

Do you want to live in a society where you can walk without having the fear of getting shot, or do you want to constantly carry a gun, and be paranoid of what could happen. Not everybody wants to kill people, because it is morally wrong. What I'f trying to say is, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't fix a problem by expanding the problem. There is no guarantee that a criminal will just go away, because he wouldn't have got a gun in the first place. Conservatives strive to be the John Rambo, but they don't realize it's insanity.

Liberals like to say...

The 2nd Amendment is outdated. Back then people had muskets, not Assault Rifles

Do you really think that the founding fathers were that retarded not to think about the future? With that logic, the 1st Amendment is also outdated because back then they never had internet. The constitution clearly says that" the right to bear arms shall not be infringed", it doesn't say anything about Muskets.

2.If there were no guns, then there would be no place for criminals to get their guns

This isn't true. A person can get one in the black market. Banning guns is just an invitation for gangs to make even more revenue by selling arms. 93% of firearm violence is committed by illegal guns.

3. People only need a gun to kill others.

Over 95% of Americans are law abiding citizens, and many of them depend on guns for their daily lifestyle. Not all of them kill people.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 6:35:09 PM
Stalin's guide to reducing Gun VIolence.

Step 1: Kill everyone

Step 2: No people? No problem.

Step 3: If you have not been killed yet, then to Gulag with you.

Step 4: No violence in Gulag, everyone happy.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:27:12 PM
At 10/3/2015 6:30:40 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
1. Improve the Mental health system

This is a huge one. The sooner we can help mentally ill people from committing such actions, the less atrocities will occur. Get rid of the problem before it evolves.

While the mental health system in the states is woefully underfunded, there are some fundamental problems with the "improve the mental health system" mantra. Generally speaking, there are limits on when people can be forced to get help after all. Improving the mental health system wouldn't force those people to get help.

2. End the War on Drugs.

Most gun violence comes from gangs, so take their way of making money, and they cease to exist eventually, because their way of making revenue is going to be a lot harder. Legalization doesn't mean, more people will do drugs. Still, I'm willing to go with a state right's issue on this for now. But, I'd encourage states to legalize drugs.

In the rush to deal with mass shootings, all-too-often it's forgotten that the majority of gun violence is of more generic criminal nature. And, as such, you're right that figuring out a better way to address drugs is going to help with that.

3. Make background checks more strict.

Our background checks are not doing enough. Only about 1% of people who actually have background checks are denied a permit. We need to make background checks more thorough, and gun sellers should lose their license (temporary ) if they sell it to an unfit person.

In what way should they be more strict, though? That 1% figure isn't super surprising--keep in mind that the people who aren't supposed to be buying guns generally know that, and if they don't they'll find out after their first purchase (as opposed to subsequent purchases). I'm all in favor of background checks, and of expanding background checks (the gun show loophole is nonsensical to me), but I'm curious what you think is deficient.

4. We all need to join together to take the NRA's influence.

Ever wonder why nothing ever gets accomplished? Guys like the NRA have so much influence in politics, they will make it their mission to prevent any sort of gun legalization. However, this isn't unfixable. We Americans can get together and stand for what we believe in, making the NRA's goal useless.

The reason the NRA has such influence is because they've sold their ideas to a high number of Americans, though. Fundamentally, they have issues of the manufacturers being self-interested, but the strength of the NRA comes from its funding and its membership base, who can be motivated to vote.

Now, let me go over some myths from both Conservatives and Liberals.

Conservatives like to say...

1. Criminals still get guns.

This isn't an excuse to have no gun control. We have laws for a reason. If Criminals can still drive on a red light, is that a good reason to abolish the red light on a traffic light? We have laws to punish these criminals.

I think gun control is often conflated with gun prohibition, however.

2. Gun control will leave law abiding citizens from owning guns.

This is a half-truth. Banning guns completely will, but most people do not support that. Conservatives want to spread their agenda by saying gun control in general, but really only a ban would fulfill that. A sensible gun control would do nothing to prevent abiding citizens, because a law abiding citizen should be able to pass any background check.

The issue of background checks is usually a fear of government "listmaking". The argument is that if the government has a list of legal gun owners, then they know who to harass or confiscate from, which has a chilling effect on gun owners.

And while the whole "The government's going to take our guuuuuuuns" refrain usually sounds completely insane, there actually have been occasions where the government DID start rounding up and confiscating guns. The example I think of immediately offhand is Katrina:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

3. If everybody is armed, then criminals will won't commit crime.

Do you want to live in a society where you can walk without having the fear of getting shot, or do you want to constantly carry a gun, and be paranoid of what could happen. Not everybody wants to kill people, because it is morally wrong. What I'f trying to say is, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't fix a problem by expanding the problem. There is no guarantee that a criminal will just go away, because he wouldn't have got a gun in the first place. Conservatives strive to be the John Rambo, but they don't realize it's insanity.

Liberals like to say...

The 2nd Amendment is outdated. Back then people had muskets, not Assault Rifles

Do you really think that the founding fathers were that retarded not to think about the future? With that logic, the 1st Amendment is also outdated because back then they never had internet. The constitution clearly says that" the right to bear arms shall not be infringed", it doesn't say anything about Muskets.

It also doesn't say anything about Nuclear Weapons, either, which are also "arms". The Founders didn't have a good idea of how exactly the scope of weaponry's ability to kill was going to expand. They probably would have been fine with private ownership of cannons or dynamite (to the best of my knowledge, the height of large-scale weaponry at the time), but I have a hard time believing they'd have been okay with private ownership of nukes.

What I would like is if we had a NEW conversation on the subject. The Founders weren't omniscient.

2.If there were no guns, then there would be no place for criminals to get their guns

This isn't true. A person can get one in the black market. Banning guns is just an invitation for gangs to make even more revenue by selling arms. 93% of firearm violence is committed by illegal guns.

3. People only need a gun to kill others.

Over 95% of Americans are law abiding citizens, and many of them depend on guns for their daily lifestyle. Not all of them kill people.

Well, that's not really true. The number of people who depend on guns for their daily lifestyle is quite small. I'm assuming you mean things like hunting? Of course, I suppose the police do, so that ups the numbers. Only 32%-ish of Americans own a firearm. Of those that do, however, some own LOTS of guns, which is hard to defend, really. Of course, if you see it as a right, then it doesn't HAVE to be defended, any more than you have to defend talking a lot.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!