Jump to topic:

How to deal with the gun problem in the USA

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 8:09:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It. is clear in my view the current situation is unacceptable. Here are my solutions for the problem.

1. Introduce gun licences and only allow people with a legitimate need for a gun, e.g. hunting animals, putting down sick animals, game shooting, clay pigeon shooting, vermin control to be allowed to obtain a gun licence.

2. Carry out an initial check on the person applying for a firearm licence to ensure they have no mental health problems, criminal records, terrorist affiliations and that there is a genuine need for them to possess the gun.

3. Repeat these checks annually.

4. Keep records of all firearms in the country. Each firearm should have a certificate which it's owner can provide at any time to police.

5. Anybody with mental health issues has their firearms and licences revoked for 5 years until last episode. They then have to provide conclusive medical evidence from a doctor that shows they are fully recovered in order to regain the firearm licence.

6. Nobody under 21 or over 80 can have a licence.

7. Ban the carrying of guns for self defence purposes in public places.

8. Offer citizens money to hand in guns to the police.

9. Introduce financial and judicial penalties for people who either keep illegal guns on their property or are seen carrying a gun in a public place.

10. Confiscate all guns from people who do not need them.

11. Ban dangerous weapons that are designed for either armed combat or warfare.

Any other ideas?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 2:48:38 AM
At 10/4/2015 8:09:31 PM, beng100 wrote:

5. Anybody with mental health issues has their firearms and licences revoked for 5 years until last episode. They then have to provide conclusive medical evidence from a doctor that shows they are fully recovered in order to regain the firearm licence.

Why discriminate against this group ?

And where are you going to draw the line on what constitutes a mental health issue ? There are some people who believe that an invisible man sends earth quakes to humans cause he is angry about same sex marriage.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 3:13:47 AM
12. Discard solutions 1-11.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 3:18:34 AM
I don't agree with the reasoning that if a minority of the population does a lot of really bad stuff involving X, then X should be banned. Even if it's for the public good (if the public good was the only important factor then we should have policies euthanizing anybody who probably would be an overall drain on society) it's not fair to the 95% who did not abuse X. Ban that 5% from having X if you will but leave the 95% alone.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:01:54 AM
At 10/5/2015 3:13:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
12. Discard solutions 1-11.

Do you have any better solutions then? Or do you think the current situation is fine?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:05:15 AM
At 10/5/2015 2:48:38 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Why discriminate against this group ?

And where are you going to draw the line on what constitutes a mental health issue ? There are some people who believe that an invisible man sends earth quakes to humans cause he is angry about same sex marriage.

Its quite clear that most people who carry out mass shootings have mental health issues. They are also much more likely to commit suicide and murder. I would sat the line is a diagnosed condition from a doctor such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 2:28:49 PM
It. is clear in my view the current situation is unacceptable. Here are my solutions for the problem.

1. Introduce gun licences and only allow people with a legitimate need for a gun, e.g. hunting animals, putting down sick animals, game shooting, clay pigeon shooting, vermin control to be allowed to obtain a gun licence.

If they can pass a background check why do they need a license?

2. Carry out an initial check on the person applying for a firearm licence to ensure they have no mental health problems, criminal records, terrorist affiliations and that there is a genuine need for them to possess the gun.

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

4. Keep records of all firearms in the country. Each firearm should have a certificate which it's owner can provide at any time to police.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

This is just dumb. If this were law, I couldn't take any of my 16-19 y/o siblings shooting with me.

How about no. We actually need them over here.

If the police will pay what the gun is worth.

9. Introduce financial and judicial penalties for people who either keep illegal guns on their property or are seen carrying a gun in a public place.

The former, sure, the latter, no.

If they are owned legally then no.

You mean like literally every gun ever? Think about it. What gun wasn't originally designed for the military? Bolt guns, lever gun, pump shotguns, handguns and semi-auto rifles were all designed for the military at some point.

Any other ideas?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:13:39 PM
At 10/5/2015 2:28:49 PM, Mr_Anderson wrote:

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

This is just dumb. If this were law, I couldn't take any of my 16-19 y/o siblings shooting with me.

You mean like literally every gun ever? Think about it. What gun wasn't originally designed for the military? Bolt guns, lever gun, pump shotguns, handguns and semi-auto rifles were all designed for the military at some point.

Any other ideas?

I think we had a discussion about gun control about a month ago. Obviously we have different views about carrying guns for self defence so I doubt there's much point discussing that. Fair enough I see your point that all guns were initially designed for the military so that point is effectively invalid. The age restrictions were aimed at gun licencing. I would be open to the idea of lowering the age to 18 but no lower. I would though allow a licence holder to supervise a non licence holder while using a firearm. So people using guns for sporting or leasure activities such as game shooting and hunting would not be affected. The maximum age restriction is probably not needed. Annual Checks to ensure people's capabilities to operate weapons they are licenced for would be more effective then a blanket cut off point. I put this in due to concerns about older people still licenced to use weapons while incapable of doing so. How do you propose improving the situation with gun related deaths in the US? Particularly mass shootings? I'm very confident my measures would improve things overall and reduce gun related deaths.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:18:25 PM

Any other ideas? : :

It's obvious that you don't understand why the second amendment was so important to the citizens of the U.S. If it wasn't for guns, the U.S. would have been under the British authority who had big guns at the time the citizens of America fought back with their guns.

There is a higher risk for people killing each other for having all these guns in the U.S. but it limits the risk of a dictator or other country to take control of our country.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:40:11 PM

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

Any other ideas?

Will you say "eh" when a murderer shoots, disembowels and rapes your kids?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 7:46:20 PM
At 10/5/2015 7:18:25 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

It's obvious that you don't understand why the second amendment was so important to the citizens of the U.S. If it wasn't for guns, the U.S. would have been under the British authority who had big guns at the time the citizens of America fought back with their guns.

There is a higher risk for people killing each other for having all these guns in the U.S. but it limits the risk of a dictator or other country to take control of our country.

I understand americas cultural link to guns and the right to carry them. However i do not believe preserving a culture is always the best approach. Ultimately america is the world's most powerful country with the best military. It's geographic location and vast size also contributes to making it impossible to invade. It would also have massive support from its many allies during an invasion. The threat posed by an invasion is non existent. It's strange how many countries that are much smaller and geographically vulnerable such as Japan don't have this sort of policy and the US does. It is the country that is least in danger from an invasion. Fair enough Ukraine, south Korea, Israel, Georgia and Japan would be justified to load their civilians with guns to scare off invaders as tgey are vulnerable to invasion from unstable, geographically close and aggressive enemies and have weak military's compared to potential enemies. The only threat to the US is nuclear attack. Gun ownership for civilians does not prevent this.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:31:37 PM
At 10/5/2015 7:46:20 PM, beng100 wrote:

I understand americas cultural link to guns and the right to carry them. However i do not believe preserving a culture is always the best approach. Ultimately america is the world's most powerful country with the best military. It's geographic location and vast size also contributes to making it impossible to invade. It would also have massive support from its many allies during an invasion. The threat posed by an invasion is non existent. It's strange how many countries that are much smaller and geographically vulnerable such as Japan don't have this sort of policy and the US does. It is the country that is least in danger from an invasion. Fair enough Ukraine, south Korea, Israel, Georgia and Japan would be justified to load their civilians with guns to scare off invaders as tgey are vulnerable to invasion from unstable, geographically close and aggressive enemies and have weak military's compared to potential enemies. The only threat to the US is nuclear attack. Gun ownership for civilians does not prevent this. : :

I don't worry about the guns of this world. God plans on melting them all very soon.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:39:12 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:31:37 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

I understand americas cultural link to guns and the right to carry them. However i do not believe preserving a culture is always the best approach. Ultimately america is the world's most powerful country with the best military. It's geographic location and vast size also contributes to making it impossible to invade. It would also have massive support from its many allies during an invasion. The threat posed by an invasion is non existent. It's strange how many countries that are much smaller and geographically vulnerable such as Japan don't have this sort of policy and the US does. It is the country that is least in danger from an invasion. Fair enough Ukraine, south Korea, Israel, Georgia and Japan would be justified to load their civilians with guns to scare off invaders as tgey are vulnerable to invasion from unstable, geographically close and aggressive enemies and have weak military's compared to potential enemies. The only threat to the US is nuclear attack. Gun ownership for civilians does not prevent this. : :

I don't worry about the guns of this world. God plans on melting them all very soon.

I'm an atheist so I disagree obviously. What religion do you believe? This belief shouldent impair you from believing that improving safety and reducing gun crime shouldent be desired though?
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:42:12 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:39:12 PM, beng100 wrote:

I'm an atheist so I disagree obviously. What religion do you believe? This belief shouldent impair you from believing that improving safety and reducing gun crime shouldent be desired though? : :

I don't think with religious thoughts. I think from the mind where everything came from. With my thoughts, all the guns of this world will be melted.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:48:56 PM
At 10/5/2015 7:40:11 PM, smelisox wrote:

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

Any other ideas?

I dont have kids. Therefore that is not a problem. Realistically that type of crime is extremely rare. I don't believe it is justifiable to hold a firearm for such a rare crime. If someone threatened me with a gun I see no point in pointing one back at them. They are only more likely to shoot me. Evil people exist but pointing guns at them should be the job of law enforcement agencies.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:51:59 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:42:12 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

I'm an atheist so I disagree obviously. What religion do you believe? This belief shouldent impair you from believing that improving safety and reducing gun crime shouldent be desired though? : :

I don't think with religious thoughts. I think from the mind where everything came from. With my thoughts, all the guns of this world will be melted.

So your strategy is do nothing about the problem and hope God intervenes?
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:55:06 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:51:59 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 10/5/2015 8:42:12 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

So your strategy is do nothing about the problem and hope God intervenes? : :

Men will do what they were planned to do until everything is melted on this planet, including the earth's crust. I'm not here to change the will of God. I'm only here to tell anyone who listens to me that God's will is being accomplished.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:11:17 PM

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

Any other ideas?

Never going to happen.
1. I don't have kids.
2. Disembowelments are kinda rare in the U.S
3. That whole statement is a fallacy. What if an asteroid hits your house?
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:12:02 PM

I understand americas cultural link to guns and the right to carry them. However i do not believe preserving a culture is always the best approach. Ultimately america is the world's most powerful country with the best military. It's geographic location and vast size also contributes to making it impossible to invade. It would also have massive support from its many allies during an invasion. The threat posed by an invasion is non existent. It's strange how many countries that are much smaller and geographically vulnerable such as Japan don't have this sort of policy and the US does. It is the country that is least in danger from an invasion. Fair enough Ukraine, south Korea, Israel, Georgia and Japan would be justified to load their civilians with guns to scare off invaders as tgey are vulnerable to invasion from unstable, geographically close and aggressive enemies and have weak military's compared to potential enemies. The only threat to the US is nuclear attack. Gun ownership for civilians does not prevent this.

When did I say anything about invasions?
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:14:34 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:48:56 PM, beng100 wrote:

no qualms with this.

Eh, every 3 years.

Only for handguns.

No qualms with this.

Any other ideas?

I dont have kids. Therefore that is not a problem. Realistically that type of crime is extremely rare. I don't believe it is justifiable to hold a firearm for such a rare crime. If someone threatened me with a gun I see no point in pointing one back at them. They are only more likely to shoot me. Evil people exist but pointing guns at them should be the job of law enforcement agencies.

It also prevents them from shooting you.

https://www.youtube.com...
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:46:12 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:12:02 PM, Mr_Anderson wrote:

You said having lots of guns helps prevent another country taking control of america. If not an invasion how did you propose the other country taking control?
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 11:13:09 PM

Honestly, this is a ridiculous claim. What do you think qualifies someone as "not needing" a weapon?
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 11:37:26 PM
At 10/5/2015 11:13:09 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Honestly, this is a ridiculous claim. What. do you think qualifies someone as "not needing" a weapon?

No sporting, recreational or leisurely use for it such as game shooting or hunting and no practical use for it such as pest control and euthanasia of ill farm animals. I would offer citizens the accurate value of their weapon if it is handed in by a set deadline. But if they do not obtain a licence in able to prove they need it and do not hand in the wespon I would seize it when found and persecute the individual for illegal firearm possession.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 1:13:53 AM
At 10/5/2015 10:46:12 PM, beng100 wrote:

You said having lots of guns helps prevent another country taking control of america. If not an invasion how did you propose the other country taking control?

I don't remember saying that. Quote it.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 3:06:32 AM
At 10/5/2015 11:37:26 PM, beng100 wrote:

Honestly, this is a ridiculous claim. What. do you think qualifies someone as "not needing" a weapon?

No sporting, recreational or leisurely use for it such as game shooting or hunting and no practical use for it such as pest control and euthanasia of ill farm animals. I would offer citizens the accurate value of their weapon if it is handed in by a set deadline. But if they do not obtain a licence in able to prove they need it and do not hand in the wespon I would seize it when found and persecute the individual for illegal firearm possession.

Dude, over here, the number one reason we own guns, is for self defense. The UK may be different, but we believe in self defense over here.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 3:20:14 AM

That literally eliminates the right to self defense as an excuse to get a gun.

It would take an hour if not even longer for a person to get all that information before approving the gun sale, and even then you only specify a 'genuine need for the gun' which again does not include self-defense

And what happens when a person does not pass one of these tests? How does one go and retrieve the guns or ammo then?

People lose their own social security cards, do you really think that the government would be able to keep track of all gins in the US, let alone all gun owners be able to keep certificates of their gun ownership on them at all times?

So you revoke the license to have a gun, but not revoke them having guns themselves... Kinda misses the whole point doesnt it?

Ok now we're getting somewhere

Open carry or conceal carry?

I think thats already being done via 'gun-buyback' initiatives

Mkay

You lasted as long as you could didnt ya.... Not only would that freak the f*** out of all conservatives and gun owners, but there is also no feasible means of going out and actually GETTING all those guns to begin with.

Any other ideas?

You have yet to propose a single idea for how the government fun even half of these programs.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:18:24 AM
At 10/6/2015 1:13:53 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 10/5/2015 10:46:12 PM, beng100 wrote:

this is what you said

I don't remember saying that. Quote it.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:21:50 AM
At 10/6/2015 3:06:32 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 10/5/2015 11:37:26 PM, beng100 wrote:

Dude, over here, the number one reason we own guns, is for self defense. The UK may be different, but we believe in self defense over here.

To be honest if that Is the majority consensus then despite my disagreement I can't really oppose it. I think a nationwide referendum would be a good idea on a range of gun related policies, to get what the American public want. I would be surprised if a majority support the current situation.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:30:37 AM
At 10/6/2015 3:20:14 AM, imabench wrote:

That literally eliminates the right to self defense as an excuse to get a gun.

It would take an hour if not even longer for a person to get all that information before approving the gun sale, and even then you only specify a 'genuine need for the gun' which again does not include self-defense

And what happens when a person does not pass one of these tests? How does one go and retrieve the guns or ammo then?

People lose their own social security cards, do you really think that the government would be able to keep track of all gins in the US, let alone all gun owners be able to keep certificates of their gun ownership on them at all times?

So you revoke the license to have a gun, but not revoke them having guns themselves... Kinda misses the whole point doesnt it?

Ok now we're getting somewhere

Open carry or conceal carry?

I think thats already being done via 'gun-buyback' initiatives

Mkay

You lasted as long as you could didnt ya.... Not only would that freak the f*** out of all conservatives and gun owners, but there is also no feasible means of going out and actually GETTING all those guns to begin with.

Any other ideas?

You have yet to propose a single idea for how the government fun even half of these programs.

Here is the plan. Assuming the us government has no idea where guns are, which in my view is appaling management, I would set a deadline for handing them in and getting paid for them. Following this deadline any illegal firearm discovered either being kept unlicensed or carried on the street open or concealed would be confiscated with the person breaking either or both laws facing justice. I would fund this programme through public spending cuts. Obviously anyone who has a licence revoked either through mental health problems would have the gun confiscated and would be paid for it by the government. With people convicted of crime I would confiscate guns without compensation.