Jump to topic:

Why doesn't anyone call out Clinton

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 5:39:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just read an article on CNN; Clinton cited the President's increased enforcement of deportation laws as a mistake by the administration. Obama was having the law enforced, and she thinks it's a mistake to enforce the law??? Of course she was doing an interview in Miami- which has a decent size Hispanic population, so of course she's trying to pander to them to get the vote. Why can't someone in the media stand up and say, the people who came over here without proper documentation, have broke the law, that's why it's called illegal immigration. I don't think it's feasible to deport all the illegals, but then Congress needs to work to figure out a solution. I've yet to see where someone who is for immigration reform just admits that the law was broken (mostly in regards to those who favor amnesty).

The article goes on to explain that Obama was enforcing the law so Republicans would get on board with reform, which I understand from a political standpoint. It doesn't matter what side of the aisle you fall on, can't we all agree that we should have a President whose leadership works toward enforcing the laws of the land? I've seen the numbers over the past few years, and the Obama administration has repeatedly had high numbers of deportations, which you would think the Republicans would be jumping for joy...but if they acknowledged Obama's success, they would lose political points.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 6:46:38 PM
At 10/6/2015 5:39:47 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
Just read an article on CNN; Clinton cited the President's increased enforcement of deportation laws as a mistake by the administration. Obama was having the law enforced, and she thinks it's a mistake to enforce the law??? Of course she was doing an interview in Miami- which has a decent size Hispanic population, so of course she's trying to pander to them to get the vote. Why can't someone in the media stand up and say, the people who came over here without proper documentation, have broke the law, that's why it's called illegal immigration. I don't think it's feasible to deport all the illegals, but then Congress needs to work to figure out a solution. I've yet to see where someone who is for immigration reform just admits that the law was broken (mostly in regards to those who favor amnesty).

The article goes on to explain that Obama was enforcing the law so Republicans would get on board with reform, which I understand from a political standpoint. It doesn't matter what side of the aisle you fall on, can't we all agree that we should have a President whose leadership works toward enforcing the laws of the land? I've seen the numbers over the past few years, and the Obama administration has repeatedly had high numbers of deportations, which you would think the Republicans would be jumping for joy...but if they acknowledged Obama's success, they would lose political points.

Well, it, illegal immigration, is actually a misdemeanor. Further, it is right to say Obama has been much harsher than previous administrations on immigration. So, saying on the one hand, it is illegal, yup. On the other, is it critical to chase every misdemeanor crime?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 6:52:20 PM
Just reading up a bit more on it, and it is interesting. "improper entry" IS the misdemeanor. So, if they catch you coming across a border, you have committed the crime. If you are found "illegal presence" its a violation of civil immigration laws, and NOT a violation of the U.S. criminal code.

Very interesting distinction.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:00:20 PM
At 10/6/2015 6:46:38 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, it, illegal immigration, is actually a misdemeanor. Further, it is right to say Obama has been much harsher than previous administrations on immigration. So, saying on the one hand, it is illegal, yup. On the other, is it critical to chase every misdemeanor crime?

yes, the first time they are caught, it is a misdemeanor; however, the second time and thereafter, under certain circumstances, it becomes a felony.

I'm more concerned about Clinton's statement that she will not be as hard on immigration enforcement. I understand why she said it, in the context, and environment where she said it, but it just doesn't sound good...basically, I won't enforce the law as hard as Obama did. I acknowledge that both sides tend to sway with the political winds when it suits them to garner more votes, but damn it would be nice for a politician to stick to a side, and stand up for that belief, regardless of who is against it.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:04:27 PM
At 10/6/2015 6:52:20 PM, TBR wrote:
Just reading up a bit more on it, and it is interesting. "improper entry" IS the misdemeanor. So, if they catch you coming across a border, you have committed the crime. If you are found "illegal presence" its a violation of civil immigration laws, and NOT a violation of the U.S. criminal code.

Very interesting distinction.

yes, I was reading about the laws as well...they sure make it convoluted. Very specific terminology for different circumstances. To an average, non-lawyer, like myself, I just thought that coming over here illegally was the crime, but the actual law is pretty detailed in the different things you could be charged with, and if you are caught multiple times, depending on what you've done, the level of the crime increases.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:10:02 PM
I'm more concerned about Clinton's statement that she will not be as hard on immigration enforcement. I understand why she said it, in the context, and environment where she said it, but it just doesn't sound good...basically, I won't enforce the law as hard as Obama did. I acknowledge that both sides tend to sway with the political winds when it suits them to garner more votes, but damn it would be nice for a politician to stick to a side, and stand up for that belief, regardless of who is against it.

I am not a huge fan of Hillary Clinton. If she wins the primaries, she will be my candidate. I do think she panders more than she should. I find it transparent and more than a little annoying. However, if you ask me, the immigration issue is more like a to-do. Work a new immigration (amnesty) program, work on fines for employers etc. This is not a huge issue, its... well, a minor irritation to-do.

Listening to the republicans you would think this is the most pressing issue ever faced by this nation. Well, its not. I don't think it makes it into my top ten.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:35:29 PM
At 10/6/2015 7:10:02 PM, TBR wrote:

I am not a huge fan of Hillary Clinton. If she wins the primaries, she will be my candidate. I do think she panders more than she should. I find it transparent and more than a little annoying. However, if you ask me, the immigration issue is more like a to-do. Work a new immigration (amnesty) program, work on fines for employers etc. This is not a huge issue, its... well, a minor irritation to-do.

Listening to the republicans you would think this is the most pressing issue ever faced by this nation. Well, its not. I don't think it makes it into my top ten.

I guess it depends on where you are. I'm in Houston, so we see illegals all day, everyday, but I agree that it's not the most important issue. We have a huge drug problem in this city, and some of that is from the smuggling from Mexico. I've worked in the restaurant industry in the past for about 10 years, and saw more than my share of hard working people, sending money back to Mexico, El Salvador, and Latin America. In addition, some of the busboys, and dishwashers were also selling drugs (usually coke), and that's what gives the other hard working ones a bad rap. It's a mixed bag of good/bad immigrants. Some worked here on a visa, but the majority came over here illegally. If the government in Texas would crack down more on employers, then the jobs wouldn't be available to these people, unless they went through proper channels. Some of the same people who are complaining about the illegals are the same ones who have companies, employing the cheap labor to boost their bottom line. It's a messy situation, but I agree...not the most pressing...can you say economy?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:39:46 PM
I guess it depends on where you are. I'm in Houston, so we see illegals all day, everyday, but I agree that it's not the most important issue. We have a huge drug problem in this city, and some of that is from the smuggling from Mexico. I've worked in the restaurant industry in the past for about 10 years, and saw more than my share of hard working people, sending money back to Mexico, El Salvador, and Latin America. In addition, some of the busboys, and dishwashers were also selling drugs (usually coke), and that's what gives the other hard working ones a bad rap. It's a mixed bag of good/bad immigrants. Some worked here on a visa, but the majority came over here illegally. If the government in Texas would crack down more on employers, then the jobs wouldn't be available to these people, unless they went through proper channels. Some of the same people who are complaining about the illegals are the same ones who have companies, employing the cheap labor to boost their bottom line. It's a messy situation, but I agree...not the most pressing...can you say economy?

Criminality is... well a problem for local law enforcement. We will work through the immigration issue, but don't expect it to do anything to the drug business, that is going to keep rolling no matter what.

I agree, many other pressing issues. This is an issue for the GOP to rile the base over.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:39:57 PM
At 10/6/2015 7:10:02 PM, TBR wrote:

Have to commend you here, even though you're not the biggest supporter, you stand up and say she's you're candidate. That's what I wish we could find in candidates today, some character. Instead of the one liners, and zingers, how about pick a side, and defend it if you're running for office.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 8:09:40 PM
Have to commend you here, even though you're not the biggest supporter, you stand up and say she's you're candidate. That's what I wish we could find in candidates today, some character. Instead of the one liners, and zingers, how about pick a side, and defend it if you're running for office.

Yea, I know. Sanders is my Obama this time around. I supported Obama early, and was very excited to work for him. Hillary, during the last primary, left me... not liking her personalty very much, and a real feel she is not a good candidate, but rather just a good politician.

She will win, and she will get my vote. She is not someone I will be thrilled by.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 8:46:27 PM

I hate Clinton. I'd support the Republican Party if I have too. (unless if it is Trump)
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:06:36 PM
At 10/6/2015 8:46:27 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

I hate Clinton. I'd support the Republican Party if I have too. (unless if it is Trump)

If Biden runs, then maybe Clinton wouldn't get the nomination, but I think it's way too early in the process for a large portion of the voters to get too serious about who they're rooting for (just my opinion). You know how crushed Hillary would be if Biden took the nomination away from her...she thought she was in almost 8 years ago, before Obama made a huge leap, and was probably infuriated that she lost to a one term experienced senator. I'm not sure she could handle another defeat this time around, and I'm sure Bill is begging all the major Democratic players to back his "wife", just so that she doesn't go postal. I think she's good at the political game, but not good for our Presidency.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:21:31 PM
If Biden runs, then maybe Clinton wouldn't get the nomination, but I think it's way too early in the process for a large portion of the voters to get too serious about who they're rooting for (just my opinion). You know how crushed Hillary would be if Biden took the nomination away from her...she thought she was in almost 8 years ago, before Obama made a huge leap, and was probably infuriated that she lost to a one term experienced senator. I'm not sure she could handle another defeat this time around, and I'm sure Bill is begging all the major Democratic players to back his "wife", just so that she doesn't go postal. I think she's good at the political game, but not good for our Presidency.

It was ugly at the end of the last primary. There were people insisting that the states where they held caucuss didn't count. They were hoping the superdelegets would move the totals (cheating the actual democratic process - opinion). It was as ugly as I could imagine it. She lost a lot of respect from a bunch of people like me.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:27:32 PM
At 10/6/2015 9:21:31 PM, TBR wrote:

It was ugly at the end of the last primary. There were people insisting that the states where they held caucuss didn't count. They were hoping the superdelegets would move the totals (cheating the actual democratic process - opinion). It was as ugly as I could imagine it. She lost a lot of respect from a bunch of people like me.

With so many stories coming out every other day about Biden- do you think he will run or not, if not is it because of his son's tragedy, and if yes, will the moderate Dems vote for him? I think he would pull the Clinton supporters away, but not the Bernie ones. Bernie has some ideas that would help, but the problem is the cost, and how to get the revenue. Spending is the issue that I have with politicians, cut back, or dissolve other programs if you want to increase spending, or find a realistic way to bring in more revenue.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:28:27 PM
At 10/6/2015 9:27:32 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
At 10/6/2015 9:21:31 PM, TBR wrote:

With so many stories coming out every other day about Biden- do you think he will run or not, if not is it because of his son's tragedy, and if yes, will the moderate Dems vote for him? I think he would pull the Clinton supporters away, but not the Bernie ones. Bernie has some ideas that would help, but the problem is the cost, and how to get the revenue. Spending is the issue that I have with politicians, cut back, or dissolve other programs if you want to increase spending, or find a realistic way to bring in more revenue.

I meant, the moderate Dems will vote for him, and pull votes from Clinton
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 10:09:11 PM

I meant, the moderate Dems will vote for him, and pull votes from Clinton

Yea, I think if Biden would have gotten in, he is not. Clinton is putting aside the current crop of fake scandal, but there is always more for them to bring up. We are all going to be rereading the Star report, talking sh1t about Vince Foster, and an endless list of junk that does nothing but use all our bandwidth to tamp down.

I am not looking forward to that run. If Sanders does pull out unlikely win in the primaries, I will work exceeding hard for him, and spend whatever time necessary to talk about social-democracy or any other perceived negatives.