Jump to topic:

On Political Correctness

jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 2:24:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are people's thoughts on political correctness?

My basic thought process is that most of the "critiques" of political correctness fall flat. Obviously, it's not because political correctness is correct. It's because the critiques only function within the framework of PC assumptions.

PC assumptions include false notions that stereotypes are incorrect and that genes are irrelevant. Or that gender and race are social constructs. If you critique PC without challenging PC assumptions, you aren't really challenging PC.
YaHey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 4:17:56 AM
At 10/10/2015 2:24:27 AM, jimtimmy8 wrote:

My basic thought process is that most of the "critiques" of political correctness fall flat. Obviously, it's not because political correctness is correct. It's because the critiques only function within the framework of PC assumptions.

PC assumptions include false notions that stereotypes are incorrect and that genes are irrelevant. Or that gender and race are social constructs. If you critique PC without challenging PC assumptions, you aren't really challenging PC.
Okay, but, race is social, unless you just mean skin tone? Like, yeah genes affect what race you are, but your race doesn't affect anything. Society reacts to race.

And gender is a social construct as well. You are talking about sex, which isn't social and is biological. This is easily demonstrated in that many native american societies had multiple genders, and in Indonesia there are five genders.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 7:05:38 AM

Bane of my existence.

At 10/10/2015 4:17:56 AM, YaHey wrote:
Okay, but, race is social, unless you just mean skin tone? Like, yeah genes affect what race you are, but your race doesn't affect anything. Society reacts to race.

Scientists don't use the term 'race' anymore, because it has no biological significance. Neither should we.

And gender is a social construct as well. You are talking about sex, which isn't social and is biological. This is easily demonstrated in that many native american societies had multiple genders, and in Indonesia there are five genders.

Gender roles/categories are social constructs, but gender identity (male vs. female) is determined in utero. If it wasn't, then there would be no transgender people, since everybody would identify as the gender they were raised with.

It's important to remember that the LGBT community is not a scientific organization, and that its 'theories' about gender and sexuality are best disregarded.
jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 1:31:19 PM
At 10/10/2015 7:05:38 AM, SM2 wrote:

Bane of my existence.

At 10/10/2015 4:17:56 AM, YaHey wrote:

Scientists don't use the term 'race' anymore, because it has no biological significance. Neither should we.

Gender roles/categories are social constructs, but gender identity (male vs. female) is determined in utero. If it wasn't, then there would be no transgender people, since everybody would identify as the gender they were raised with.

It's important to remember that the LGBT community is not a scientific organization, and that its 'theories' about gender and sexuality are best disregarded.

lol at transgender
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 9:22:10 PM
At 10/10/2015 1:31:19 PM, jimtimmy8 wrote:

lol at transgender

Am I the only person who finds trans people weird? I mean, they look like dudes, and they're putting out dude pheromones, yet I'm supposed to think of them as women? That's just too confusing for me.
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 11:39:48 PM
Political correctness was introduced into America by Herbert Marcuse after World War II.
It is essentially a form of communism and is designed to undermine capitalism. It uses the concept of equality as a means of power acquisition. Thus, people who are considered as part of minority groups or disadvantaged groups; such as - blacks, disabled, females, foreigners and homosexuals; are given special dispensations so that they can compete on an un-level playing field.

Unfortunately, being a communist system, it fails in its objectives because it punishes successful people and promotes minority groups. Eventually, the minority groups start to take over and the whole society falls apart and crumbles.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 7:32:41 PM

People who engage in political correctness seethe deep down because they feel they can't express what they truly believe about others, rightly or wrongly. It eventually becomes their prison. Free speech is free speech. If people refuse to talk about issues that they feel might offend some group then....as already stated, welcome to your prison.