Jump to topic:

Now This is Ridiculous

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 12:55:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not a gun-rights activist by any means but when I see something like this I just get steamed up. This young man was just showing respect for his brother and all the other men who have fallen in service of our nation. What has happened to good old common sense in our schools?

http://www.msn.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 3:02:36 PM
At 10/12/2015 12:55:23 PM, dhardage wrote:
I'm not a gun-rights activist by any means but when I see something like this I just get steamed up. This young man was just showing respect for his brother and all the other men who have fallen in service of our nation. What has happened to good old common sense in our schools?

He was given the option to change the shirt before the suspension. Schools have a right to implement dress codes...
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 3:42:12 PM

He should be happy he wasn't shipped off to a Fema camp. That's what's coming down the line for Americans.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 4:07:29 PM
At 10/12/2015 3:02:36 PM, TBR wrote:

He was given the option to change the shirt before the suspension. Schools have a right to implement dress codes...

True, at least the school gave him the option, and my first thought, before reading the article, was that the school was just trying to be sensitive to the recent situation. But the article does say, the school dress code bars students from wearing any clothes promoting alcohol, drugs, tobacco or violence. I guess you could debate both sides of, does a picture of a gun "promote" violence? I know it's extreme, and not my belief, but couldn't someone say that the picture of the US Flag promotes violence? You see where I'm going with this.

Is America getting to the point, where every situation has to be spelled out in black and white? I think common sense is being pushed aside because of some people's agendas- it's like people turn every little story, or incident into a major issue. I can't speak for the boy, but from what I read, he had good intentions.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 4:10:43 PM
True, at least the school gave him the option, and my first thought, before reading the article, was that the school was just trying to be sensitive to the recent situation. But the article does say, the school dress code bars students from wearing any clothes promoting alcohol, drugs, tobacco or violence. I guess you could debate both sides of, does a picture of a gun "promote" violence? I know it's extreme, and not my belief, but couldn't someone say that the picture of the US Flag promotes violence? You see where I'm going with this.

Is America getting to the point, where every situation has to be spelled out in black and white? I think common sense is being pushed aside because of some people's agendas- it's like people turn every little story, or incident into a major issue. I can't speak for the boy, but from what I read, he had good intentions.

I can't know his intentions, but I can guess he was not a "threat". Either way, I support dress-codes. Ask him to change the shirt - he digs in, well, the consequences. That he (someone) has turned it into a national story speaks better to motive.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 4:11:45 PM
During the clock debacle, the news (right) pivoted to the parents and child wanting to "make a statement". This sure smacks of that same intent.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 4:20:07 PM
At 10/12/2015 4:10:43 PM, TBR wrote:

I can't know his intentions, but I can guess he was not a "threat". Either way, I support dress-codes. Ask him to change the shirt - he digs in, well, the consequences. That he (someone) has turned it into a national story speaks better to motive.

good point, and it could just be an issue of a teenager (8th grade probably 12 or 13), bucking up to authority, about changing the shirt.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 6:34:12 PM
At the highschool I work, you have an option of making a drawing on a sheet of paper and taping it to the front of your shirt. :D
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 6:53:55 PM
At 10/12/2015 6:34:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At the highschool I work, you have an option of making a drawing on a sheet of paper and taping it to the front of your shirt. :D

Well creativity should be encouraged.