Jump to topic:

Hobby Lobby and hypocrisy

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 3:58:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
While the outcome of the SCOTUS case is known now, and controversy still exists - this thread is not intended to probe the case. It is intended to discuss the hypocritical stance of a professed "Christian" company.

My claims of hypocrisy are;

1) Hobby Lobby invests heavily (through company 401k) in the very company's producing these drugs. [1]
* There are straight forward ways to invest in mutual funds that DO NOT contradict with religious moral values. Entire "Christian" funds exist for this purpose alone.

2) Hobby Lobby purchases a great deal of their merchandise for retail from Chinese company's.
* Even dismissing the human rights violations, the Chinese family planning bureau still exists, the abortion issue being the family's cause, this is hypocritical.

There are reasonable defenses for these, I expect to see some, however, the very righteous Green family was so Christian that they fought a case to the Supreme Court to keep their faith. If it is that sincere and issue for them, then its hypocritical for them to dismiss these issues.

http://www.forbes.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:06:58 PM
I'm not generally surprised, and nor do I care anymore.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:38:21 PM
At 10/13/2015 4:06:58 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Well, I can go about my business and not care too, but this is not a done thing yet. Really, its just the beginning. Single-payer will happen some day, and we will have to confront the issue of covering abortion. If religion pokes its nose into this again (sure to happen) we will be right back into this.

I really want to know why - from a Christian perspective - this issue is so critical that you support battling it to the SCOTUS, but the other instances are no big deal. How can a Christian square this?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:51:33 PM
At 10/13/2015 4:38:21 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, I can go about my business and not care too, but this is not a done thing yet. Really, its just the beginning. Single-payer will happen some day, and we will have to confront the issue of covering abortion. If religion pokes its nose into this again (sure to happen) we will be right back into this.

I really want to know why - from a Christian perspective - this issue is so critical that you support battling it to the SCOTUS, but the other instances are no big deal. How can a Christian square this?

If we are talking about hobby lobby individually I might agree with you, but just because Hobby Lobby was hypocritical in their actions doesn't mean you can justly peg all Christians as such. The SCOTUS case, as you know, as with all SCOTUS cases, was bigger than just Hobby Lobby, it was setting a precedent for all christians and whether they were forced to finance abortions.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:55:32 PM
At 10/13/2015 4:51:33 PM, Objectivity wrote:

If we are talking about hobby lobby individually I might agree with you, but just because Hobby Lobby was hypocritical in their actions doesn't mean you can justly peg all Christians as such. The SCOTUS case, as you know, as with all SCOTUS cases, was bigger than just Hobby Lobby, it was setting a precedent for all christians and whether they were forced to finance abortions.

You agree that Hobby Lobby is (as a Christian corporation) hypocritical?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:57:30 PM
At 10/13/2015 4:55:32 PM, TBR wrote:

The article/discovery originated with Mother Jones which is probably the most unashamedly liberal and biased mainstream website in existence so I'd have to analyze it to see what is exaggerated or taken out of context but assuming even after that the facts remain as you presented them, yes it would be hypocritical.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 5:01:43 PM
At 10/13/2015 4:57:30 PM, Objectivity wrote:

The article/discovery originated with Mother Jones which is probably the most unashamedly liberal and biased mainstream website in existence so I'd have to analyze it to see what is exaggerated or taken out of context but assuming even after that the facts remain as you presented them, yes it would be hypocritical.

The article aside, these are simple facts. Hobby Lobby primarly resells Chinese manufactures goods. Hobby Lobby invests (through 401k) in the very companies they objected to in their case.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 12:18:46 PM
At 10/13/2015 5:01:43 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/13/2015 4:57:30 PM, Objectivity wrote:

The article aside, these are simple facts. Hobby Lobby primarly resells Chinese manufactures goods.

So? Private companies don't represent the government.

Hobby Lobby invests (through 401k) in the very companies they objected to in their case.

Okay, even if this is true how much does it impact the larger discussion on if private companies should be forced to pay for contraception?