Jump to topic:

Climate change and global warming

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:13:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Personally I do not see it as a major concern. Neither do most people in the UK where I live. I was surprised how much the American democratic party political debate covered the issue.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:15:36 PM
At 10/14/2015 11:13:50 PM, beng100 wrote:
Personally I do not see it as a major concern. Neither do most people in the UK where I live. I was surprised how much the American democratic party political debate covered the issue.

Well that is insane on each point.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:18:14 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I think what you are seeing is, most people in the u.k. Accept the science, and in the us we have a party (Republicans) who dismiss it like a religion.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 11:47:34 PM
At 10/14/2015 11:18:14 PM, TBR wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I think what you are seeing is, most people in the u.k. Accept the science, and in the us we have a party (Republicans) who dismiss it like a religion.

The only party discussing climate change in the UK as a major issue is the green party. The liberal democrats try to bring it up but it is generally not an issue that is ever discussed in political debates. Personally I think realistically humans are responsible for around 50% of the earths warming. However like everyone who estimates this figure it is a pure guess. What is known is that human activity causes global warming and the climate can also change naturally. Personally I hope the climate in the UK warms further. It would be a positive thing for the country and me personally if temperatures increased. The climate is generally cold. Obviously it is not a good thing for the world as a whole but the issue is completely impossible to control in my view. The world's economy is in a poor state. Their is no way the world can afford to leave coal and oil in the ground and stop using air travel. The policies suggested by many green activists such as saving plastic bags and recycling are in my view a joke. Claiming they prevent climate change is quite naive really.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 12:36:37 AM
At 10/14/2015 11:47:34 PM, beng100 wrote:
Obviously it is not a good thing for the world as a whole but the issue is completely impossible to control in my view. The world's economy is in a poor state.

We still don't know that, it is not obviously bad. We are still yet discovering more and more increases in freshwater rainfall across the globe along with recoverable tundras.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 1:16:54 AM
The effects of global warming are something that will happen in the future. For Americans alive right now, we will probably all be dead by the time the really bad effects of global warning occur. Will this make things bad for our children or grand children? Maybe, but I don't have any children or grandchildren so it does not matter to me.
Have you been able to find some one who is your soul mate and now you and her have children , and maybe grandchildren. Do you care about what kind of world they will have to live in? So what? You other people have been kicking me around and pissing on me all my life. Other people are something I don't care about. Maybe if you other people would hook me up with a hot chick who would be my girl friend and wife, I might change my mind.
Some times I just watch that big old sun and I wish it would explode, then I would take all you sons of b****es with me when I go!
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:16:09 AM

Another feeble attempt of the human species to exhibit boundless control and evoke fear, so someone like Al Gore can claim the greatest achievement of mankind saving something that will exist long after our species is gone.

Quoting George Carlin
"We"re going away. Pack your sht, folks. We"re going away. And we won"t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam " The planet"ll be here and we"ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet"ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas."

If people want to save the environment for future generations I suggest STOP CONSUMPTION
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:34:29 AM

Personally I do not see it as a major concern.
It is not a major concern at all; I would agree that it is a minor concern as long as we attack the proper areas. Case in point Beijing, China Case in point China entirely. When everyone has to walk around wearing air quality filters when outside...when your government must pay to purchase TVs for the area strictly to show sunrise and sunset as the sun never appears through the smog you are building...or when your entire population stops what they are doing, walks outside, and stands there quietly to take in the beauty of the sun and feel its' warmth against your skin since this is the first time in years the smog has cleared enough to enjoy it; there's a massive problem that needs to be addressed.
When China gets a massive storm which feeds from your smog, and said smog cloud is SO large that it is being tracked on weather radar by meteorologists...it"s time to fix THAT SPECIFIC SLOB-FEST.
You're not going make a dent until you fix that China problem first.

Neither do most people in the UK where I live.
Because you-zzz UK people ovuh dare you use doz smarts peoples tinkin hair pants ovuh dare. (Dumb American stereotype grammar and yes, I called a hat a "thinking person"s hair pants")
In America, we value the queue card read by some movie star over scientists or even ourselves...just because the movie star has a decent set of ummmm....door knockers

I was surprised how much the American Democratic Party political debate covered the issue.
Oh yea, people still eat that up all that climate change crap start being honest with people and
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 6:04:23 AM
Yep, but there's a significant thing about fracking in the U.K.

And what about recycling? The U.K is one of the biggest places for that.

As far as I've seen, political parties *do* make it a part of debate and it does receive exposure. The only real difference is that everything is bigger in the U.S, which makes it seem more talked about.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Ijuststartedthinking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:00:54 PM

North America could go bankrupt trying to make a dent in GHG emissions. Reality is.....(if there is a reality to anthropogenically caused climate change) China and India et al are the culprits and until they stop.....it won't stop. China releases more GHG in 22hrs than the Canadian oil sands would in 50yrs. Think about it!
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:13:19 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:00:54 PM, Ijuststartedthinking wrote:

North America could go bankrupt trying to make a dent in GHG emissions. Reality is.....(if there is a reality to anthropogenically caused climate change) China and India et al are the culprits and until they stop.....it won't stop. China releases more GHG in 22hrs than the Canadian oil sands would in 50yrs. Think about it!

As an American, I like to think we lead the world - not sit around like babies waiting for the OTHER guy. "If China won't eat its vegetables why should I?"
Ijuststartedthinking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:45:29 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:13:19 PM, TBR wrote:

As an American, I like to think we lead the world - not sit around like babies waiting for the OTHER guy. "If China won't eat its vegetables why should I?"

Sure! Very noble! Just lead responsibly, I guess.....with some wisdom. Avoid leading a moot battle into oblivion. In my opinion, transitioning to "clean" energy is the right thing to do, but it must be done at a responsible pace. It would be irresponsible to cut off fossil fuels too quickly for fear of terrible economic consequences. Plus...remember, only half a barrel of oil is used for energy....the other half is used for.....heart valves, contact lenses, prosthetic legs, fertilizers for food, pharmaceuticals, roads, cars...basically everything. Wind, solar, nuclear don't create "products".
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:49:09 PM
Plus...remember, only half a barrel of oil is used for energy....the other half is used for.....heart valves, contact lenses, prosthetic legs, fertilizers for food, pharmaceuticals, roads, cars...basically everything. Wind, solar, nuclear don't create "products".

All the more reason to stop using it for fuel.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:50:40 PM
Look. We can lead. It is not a silly waste of time and money to push a major shift for the general good. Its much better to lead than follow.
Ijuststartedthinking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 5:05:27 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:50:40 PM, TBR wrote:
Look. We can lead. It is not a silly waste of time and money to push a major shift for the general good. Its much better to lead than follow.

Roger that! Just be close to certain you lead in the right direction and it's for the right reasons. Look at Germany.......yikes......most money invested into "clean" energy and now highest GHG emissions ever because they had to build coal fired plants to keep up with demand. Great effort, but not apparently not thought through. Now the citizens have to pay as well as the environment.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 6:34:57 PM
In my view it is fairly obvious that the switchover to clean energy will only happen when it becomes economically viable. One day oil, gas and coal reserves will be depleted. I think that day is over a century away between now and then fossil fuels will become more expensive and clean energy will become cheaper. Ultimately it is unrealistic to expect the world to not use fossil fuels. While they are still available someone will use them.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 7:23:10 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:13:19 PM, TBR wrote:

I really hate how this attitude is so ingrained and indoctrinated into American citizens, like we have an obligation to police the world, be it terrorism, communism, or global warming. This "better than thou" world police - team America approach has never panned out well historically for any country; and it is little wonder why the world hates us. If you thought it was the height of hubris to tell Iraq how to live with the guns of thousands of soldiers, just wait for the reaction from China and other countries when we tell them how it's gonna be....cause we won't be able to do it with guns. That's for sure.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 7:26:44 PM
At 10/15/2015 5:05:27 PM, Ijuststartedthinking wrote:
At 10/15/2015 4:50:40 PM, TBR wrote:

Roger that! Just be close to certain you lead in the right direction and it's for the right reasons. Look at Germany.......yikes......most money invested into "clean" energy and now highest GHG emissions ever because they had to build coal fired plants to keep up with demand. Great effort, but not apparently not thought through. Now the citizens have to pay as well as the environment.

Exactly, most countries don't have the accelerated startups for new construction of clean natural gas power plants, or nuclear alternatives to meet the scheduled timelines of reduced emissions. Solar and wind are not feasible. When countries have to choose between brownouts and coal, you know what is going to happen.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 7:30:02 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:49:09 PM, TBR wrote:
Plus...remember, only half a barrel of oil is used for energy....the other half is used for.....heart valves, contact lenses, prosthetic legs, fertilizers for food, pharmaceuticals, roads, cars...basically everything. Wind, solar, nuclear don't create "products".

You cant use the distillate part to make plastics. The alternative is to throw it into landfills as a byproduct of making plastics. Not exactly ideal. And it's alot harder to put oil back where you got it in the first place.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:45:20 PM
At 10/15/2015 7:30:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

You cant use the distillate part to make plastics. The alternative is to throw it into landfills as a byproduct of making plastics. Not exactly ideal. And it's alot harder to put oil back where you got it in the first place.

This a slight misunderstanding. What I am saying is, there is a finite amount. We rely too heavily on plastics just like oil. There is tech work to replace/augment plastic production. We are treating the same finite resource recklessly that frankly means MORE to us.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 10:49:52 PM
At 10/15/2015 8:45:20 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/15/2015 7:30:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

This a slight misunderstanding. What I am saying is, there is a finite amount. We rely too heavily on plastics just like oil. There is tech work to replace/augment plastic production. We are treating the same finite resource recklessly that frankly means MORE to us.

Humans are perhaps arguably the most valuable life-form on the planet in their ability to take abiotic material and convert those resources into biotic life. No other organism, not even bacteria, can do that with oil except us. When it's used up, humans will just find another resource.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:23:02 PM
When it's used up, humans will just find another resource.

Yup. Why not start NOW when we have a little remaining? It will take a LONG time to "convert". Leaving it to the last decade is not a smart plan.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:44:43 PM
At 10/15/2015 11:23:02 PM, TBR wrote:
When it's used up, humans will just find another resource.

Yup. Why not start NOW when we have a little remaining? It will take a LONG time to "convert". Leaving it to the last decade is not a smart plan.

The thing is, we won't run out of oil suddenly all at once. It will be a very long process as we go through the easy to get oil and move on to the hard to get oil. This might take a few hundred years, not simply a decade. Plenty of time to adjust.

(fun trivia, I took a "history of oil" class in college; wrote many papers.)
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:51:51 PM
The thing is, we won't run out of oil suddenly all at once. It will be a very long process

Yup. And by most accounts, we are on the downward side of the curve. It is only going to go down QUICK!

This might take a few hundred years, not simply a decade. Plenty of time to adjust.

Yawn. Why do today when we can put it off till OTHERS do it. Right?

So?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:54:13 PM
Look. I am not satisfied with waiting till we are behind the curve. We can lead or be the stupid American. Time was we were happy to lead.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:56:40 PM
At 10/15/2015 11:54:13 PM, TBR wrote:
Look. I am not satisfied with waiting till we are behind the curve. We can lead or be the stupid American. Time was we were happy to lead.

Yah, well, global police just isn't popular these days.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 12:02:30 AM
At 10/15/2015 11:51:51 PM, TBR wrote:

So?

You're a meany.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 12:07:43 AM
At 10/15/2015 11:56:40 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/15/2015 11:54:13 PM, TBR wrote:

Yah, well, global police just isn't popular these days.

Leading in tech is not being the world police.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 12:08:01 AM
At 10/16/2015 12:02:30 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/15/2015 11:51:51 PM, TBR wrote:

So?

You're a meany.

Well... Sorry.