Jump to topic:

Should the UK leave the EU?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 12:22:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The conservative government have promised an in out referendum for EU membership. I think this is a good thing that should decisively solve a much discussed issue. The performance of the right wing anti EU Ukip party in winning the european elections forced the centre right conservative parties hand in promising the referendum. This proved a popular policy and following the election victory conservative prime minister david cameron has sought improvement to the terms of the uk membership of eu, using the threat of a potential exit of the eu as a bargaining point. In my view this is very astute political maneuvering from Cameron as it satisfies both the electorate and his own party. When it comes to the referendum current polling suggests a small lead for the campaign to stay in the eu. As a UK citizen I am as yet undecided on the vote but am leaning towards voting to leave.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 3:12:17 AM
The EU encourages Free Trade. Exiting it would probably weaken the British economy. Instead, the individual EU nations should work towards ensuring that EU is to the benefit of each member nation and that it won't come to rule over each member in a federal system. It should be understood that each European nation is its own sovereign state.
NATO is probably a bigger threat to European sovereignty than the EU.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:42:14 AM
At 10/16/2015 3:12:17 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The EU encourages Free Trade. Exiting it would probably weaken the British economy. Instead, the individual EU nations should work towards ensuring that EU is to the benefit of each member nation and that it won't come to rule over each member in a federal system. It should be understood that each European nation is its own sovereign state.
NATO is probably a bigger threat to European sovereignty than the EU.

A huge amount of money dedicated to Scientific research in the UK is from the EU.

Knowing Cameron prefers to spend billions on making weapons for terrorists or making more nuclear bombs (I support the latter, though it's stupidly costly), that would mean no more money for scientific research.

So no.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:52:13 AM
I think it's probably not a 'good' idea and that the benefits of being a part of the E.U (at least for Britain) outweigh any negatives, which for most British people seem to be lack of control on immigration.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:58:45 AM
At 10/16/2015 11:52:13 AM, Emilrose wrote:
I think it's probably not a 'good' idea and that the benefits of being a part of the E.U (at least for Britain) outweigh any negatives, which for most British people seem to be lack of control on immigration.

https://youtu.be...
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 2:31:10 AM
I think Cameron is saying that he wants the referendum but will find a way to prevent it from going to public vote.

I hope Nigel is getting his 2 cents in the EU parlament on this topic and the migration topic

I find it dualistic that Scotland wants to leave the UK but remain in the EU.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 10:02:38 AM
Positives of eu membership

1. Close relationship politically and economically with Europe.

2. Free trade with other eu member states.

3. UK citizens are free to either go on holiday to eu states or emigrate there permanently without any restrictions or excessive complications.

4. Scotland is unlikely to leave the UK.

Negatives of eu membership.

1. Billions of pounds in annual membership fees.

2. The judicial system of the UK not having the final say.

3. Uncontrolled immigration.

4. EU bill of human rights. (I believe a UK bill would be more effective)

5. Decisions of great importance being made in Brussels not London.

6. Common agricultural policy.

7. Unelected beurocrats making key decisions.

8. Pressure to take in migrants attempting to enter Europe from its southern borders from other eu countries.

9. Risk of bankruptcy of many eu countries.

10. Pressure to contribute to bailouts of failing European countries.

11. The euro.

12. The schengen area.

13. Jean Claude juncker.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 10:46:50 PM

The royal wedding was more expensive. Bet you loved that.

Boo hoo. The UK has only fucked up constantly since it's inception. We're responsible for all the wars in the middle east, famine in third world countries and WW2.

Which is a really good thing.

Why? That's idiotic.

London is a sh-thole.

So?

Who cares? We have a f-cking HOUSE OF LORDS and (unelected) nobility system.

8. Pressure to take in migrants attempting to enter Europe from its southern borders from other eu countries.

Which is good. Unless you wank to pictures of dead syrian kids who drift up on beaches because of selfish arseholes like you.

Except, you know. Not.

Better than destroying a great country.

11. The euro.

Brilliant currency.

12. The schengen area.

Brilliant system.

13. Jean Claude juncker.

He's a good man.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 12:36:46 AM
At 10/19/2015 10:46:50 PM, smelisox wrote:

The royal wedding was more expensive. Bet you loved that.

Sources. How exactly was that more expensive than E.U membership fees in *total*?

Boo hoo. The UK has only fucked up constantly since it's inception. We're responsible for all the wars in the middle east, famine in third world countries and WW2.

You're going to need to sources again to affirm a statement like that.

Which is a really good thing.

How so? Sure anything that is 'uncontrolled' is not technically 'good'?

Why? That's idiotic.

Again: how? What's wrong with the idea of independent countries forming their own human rights bill? Providing it meets a certain standard.

London is a sh-thole.

That's irrelevant.

So?

What?

Who cares? We have a f-cking HOUSE OF LORDS and (unelected) nobility system.

Yes. But he is referring to a system that makes *key decisions* for 'all' of Europe. The example you've given doesn't apply.

Which is good. Unless you wank to pictures of dead syrian kids who drift up on beaches because of selfish arseholes like you.

Aww, are you not capable of thinking with emotion then? *pats head*

The boys father was involved in human trafficking and made the choice for his family to sail an overcrowded boat and thus get killed. Why should other countries be made responsible for that?

Except, you know. Not.

Yes...because the E.U has done SO much for Spain, and Greece!

Better than destroying a great country.

Yes...

11. The euro.

Brilliant currency.

Not really. Move somewhere else on Europe and you might well conclude that.

12. The schengen area.

Brilliant system.

Meh.

13. Jean Claude juncker.

He's a good man.

You know him personally?
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'