Jump to topic:

Best President

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 11:12:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Who do you think was the best president in the history of the U.S? why?

The Siena poll of 2010 ranked listing is
1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman
10. Dwight D Eisenhower (i would say is my favorite)

A lot of other lists have the sort of the same names but some rotate Ronald Reagan, JFK, and polk in the mix

While on the subject, do you think Richard Nixon was a bad president? I think people only look at Watergate to judge his presidency. I think Nixon was a good president or at least a decent one.
minervx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 5:28:28 AM
That Sienna poll has multiple flaws which destroys its credibility.

1) It ranks George W. Bush and Barack Obama. It is far too early to judge contemporaries, especially one who hasn't even completed his term(s) yet.

2) Factors such as "willingness to compromise" and "willing to take risks" are good things sometimes, but not always.

3) Any poll that includes "luck" as one of the grading criterias of a president should be automatically distrusted.

4) All criteria is weighed the same. Foreign policy accomplishments or handing of economy should be worth much more than "imagination" and "family/background".
minervx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 5:33:31 AM
Also, I don't see Nixon as a bad president. So much as accomplished under his administration: accelerated desegregation of schools, revenue sharing, anti-crime laws, progressive legislation, environmental protection, groundbreaking visit to china, conclusion of vietnam, detente with the soviet union, etc. Watergate was an embarassing mistake, but it didn't hurt the country; it only hurt Nixon himself. He was certainly paranoid, corrupt, and odd to say the least, but he was an intelligent, effective leader.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:16:06 AM
John F. Kennedy was the best president, or at least he would have been had he not been assassinated.

The worst president, and perhaps one of the worst people in history, was Woodrow Wilson.

As for Nixon, he was a terrible president. He took us off the gold standard and had wage and price controls, which messed up the economy quite a bit. He had a lot of other terrible economic ideas, although most of them didn't end up passing. Although he did end the war in Vietnam, he killed far more people than was necessary. Opening up relations with China was good though.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:25:59 AM
At 9/19/2010 11:12:37 PM, Loserboi wrote:

1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman

A lot of other lists have the sort of the same names but some rotate Ronald Reagan, JFK, and polk in the mix

While on the subject, do you think Richard Nixon was a bad president? I think people only look at Watergate to judge his presidency. I think Nixon was a good president or at least a decent one.

How could Polk get on that list? what did he do?

Thomas Jefferson doubled the size of America so as far as legalistic growth goes you could put him as the best rest right.

but every age, decade, era, or whatever calls for different need in the president. So its hard to truly compare. Washington would have been a fool to pursue getting the land Jefferson did. and the wisdom of the Monroe doctrine really did hold true back in those days but later as our country grew stronger as a world power the prime importance of sticking to it changed.

if you look at who was all the man you could ever have hoped or dreamed of getting as president of the time; none ever hold a candle to George Washington. Lincoln would be second. I know that ranking sounds like a cheesy predictable answer but considering the situation America was in not even the man who was president the longest and through WW2 should be said to have out done Lincoln or Washington.

If there was ever a bad president list, # one on that should Harding. You can something good about any of our presidents, except for him.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:51:45 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:25:59 AM, Marauder wrote:

1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman

How could Polk get on that list? what did he do?

Thomas Jefferson doubled the size of America so as far as legalistic growth goes you could put him as the best rest right.

but every age, decade, era, or whatever calls for different need in the president. So its hard to truly compare. Washington would have been a fool to pursue getting the land Jefferson did. and the wisdom of the Monroe doctrine really did hold true back in those days but later as our country grew stronger as a world power the prime importance of sticking to it changed.

if you look at who was all the man you could ever have hoped or dreamed of getting as president of the time; none ever hold a candle to George Washington. Lincoln would be second. I know that ranking sounds like a cheesy predictable answer but considering the situation America was in not even the man who was president the longest and through WW2 should be said to have out done Lincoln or Washington.

If there was ever a bad president list, # one on that should Harding. You can something good about any of our presidents, except for him.

Andrew Johnson? I think he's the worst
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:53:55 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:16:06 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:
John F. Kennedy was the best president, or at least he would have been had he not been assassinated.

The worst president, and perhaps one of the worst people in history, was Woodrow Wilson.

As for Nixon, he was a terrible president. He took us off the gold standard and had wage and price controls, which messed up the economy quite a bit. He had a lot of other terrible economic ideas, although most of them didn't end up passing. Although he did end the war in Vietnam, he killed far more people than was necessary. Opening up relations with China was good though.

Why Woodrow Wilson? didn't he establish the Federal Reserve and gave women the right to vote?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:04:56 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:53:55 AM, Loserboi wrote:

Why Woodrow Wilson? didn't he establish the Federal Reserve and gave women the right to vote?

He did not give women the right to vote, a constitutional amendment did. After it was clear that the movement was gaining momentum, he did express his support for it, but he wasn't responsible for it.

And establishing the Federal Reserve was one of the worst things ever done. First, it destroyed and is continuing to destroy our currency. Second, it allowed the U.S. to enter WWI. If taxpayers had to pay for WWI, they never would have supported it, as it had absolutely nothing to do with Americans. But the Federal Reserve allowed he government to just print money to pay for war, so the robbing of the American people was more indirect and subtle. The American entry into the war fundamentally changed it. Before, it was just like any other European war. A bunch of monarchs fighting over pride and territory and all that. It would have ended like any other European war, where one side gets the territory it wants, then they sign a treaty. They wouldn't have bothered to waste their resources completely defeating their enemy, because they wanted the old order of monarchies to remain, they didn't want a huge upheaval. But when the U.S. entered, it became a war about ideology. We needed to completely defeat Germany and Austria, in order to "make the world safe for democracy." And so we did. Once America entered the war, Germany was essentially doomed, and in the end, they surrendered to us. After the war, the Kaiser was replaced with the Weimar Republic. And, of course, democracy didn't exactly work out for Germany. Hitler rose to power, and we all know the rest of the story.

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:13:02 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:51:45 AM, Loserboi wrote:

Herbert Hoover?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:31:58 AM
At 9/20/2010 11:13:02 AM, Loserboi wrote:
At 9/20/2010 10:51:45 AM, Loserboi wrote:

Herbert Hoover?

Hoover certainly deserves to rank low. but he was not totally void of positive contribution in office. little can be said for him economically, but what of forien politics
While in Argentina, Argentine anarchists led by Severino Di Giovanni plotted to destroy the railroad car in which Hoover was traveling, but the bomber was arrested before he could place the explosives on the rails.[29] Hoover never mentioned the incident, and his complimentary remarks on Argentina were well-received in both the host country and in the press.[30]

Following the release in 1930 of the Clark Memorandum, Hoover began formulating what later became Roosevelt's Good Neighbor policy. He began withdrawing American troops from Nicaragua and Haiti; he also proposed an arms embargo on Latin America and a one-third reduction of the world's naval power, which was called the Hoover Plan. The Roosevelt Corollary ceased being part of U.S. foreign policy. In response to the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, he and Secretary of State Henry Stimson outlined the Hoover-Stimson Doctrine that said the United States would not recognize territories gained by force.[citation needed]

During his presidency, Hoover mediated between Chile and Peru to solve a conflict on the sovereignty of Arica and Tacna, that in 1883 by the Treaty of Ancón had been awarded to Chile for ten years, to be followed by a plebiscite that had never happened. By the Tacna-Arica compromise at the Treaty of Lima in 1929, Chile kept Arica, and Peru regained Tacna.

as for johnson; one of his redeeming acts was granting amnesty to all confederates

One of Johnson's last significant acts was granting unconditional amnesty to all Confederates on Christmas Day, December 25, 1868, after the election of Ulysses S. Grant to succeed him, but before Grant took office in March 1869. Earlier amnesties, requiring signed oaths and excluding certain classes of people, had been issued by Lincoln and by Johnson.

Harding has no redeemable acts though. perhaps the mistakes of Johnson and Hoover led to more extreme suffering for America but they were more links in the chains of cause in effects of the depression and the slowness of the Reconstruction than what those two contributed to it. when its a quagmire of a situation to start with even the best man for the job may not handle it very well.

sometimes a president gets elected in wake of a war and sometimes its after the internet is invented.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:59:23 AM

Not Grover Cleveland? Kennedy very nearly started a war with the Soviet Union.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 12:24:41 PM
At 9/20/2010 11:59:23 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Grover Cleveland did take America in the right direction, but JFK could have completely turned us around, had he lived. And yes, he did start out as a cold warrior, and did unfortunately listen to the CIA and go ahead with the Bay of Pigs, but regained his sanity in time to refuse to allow the American military to support the invasion, which would have certainly led to war. Afterwords, he wanted to make sure such a situation would never happen again. He tried to end the Cold War and establish peaceful relations with the Soviet Union. He tried to rein in the CIA, and could have succeeded. This would have been more important than most people think. By 1987, the CIA had been directly or indirectly responsible for more than 6 million deaths worldwide. He also tried to return the dollar to a metal-backed currency.

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 7:59:23 PM
At 9/20/2010 12:24:41 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 9/20/2010 11:59:23 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Grover Cleveland did take America in the right direction,

It was not his fault. He stood for the right things, it was the Populist party that was his down fall, also the down fall of the democratic party.

Cleveland was good in principle.

but JFK could have completely turned us around, had he lived. And yes, he did start out as a cold warrior, and did unfortunately listen to the CIA and go ahead with the Bay of Pigs, but regained his sanity in time to refuse to allow the American military to support the invasion, which would have certainly led to war. Afterwords, he wanted to make sure such a situation would never happen again. He tried to end the Cold War and establish peaceful relations with the Soviet Union. He tried to rein in the CIA, and could have succeeded. This would have been more important than most people think. By 1987, the CIA had been directly or indirectly responsible for more than 6 million deaths worldwide. He also tried to return the dollar to a metal-backed currency.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:05:34 PM

1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman

Abraham Lincoln? Really? Didn't Individual Federal Tax start due to his war?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:08:18 PM
At 9/20/2010 8:05:34 PM, jharry wrote:

1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman

Didn't the expansion of slavery stop due to "his war"?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:09:58 PM
At 9/20/2010 8:08:18 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/20/2010 8:05:34 PM, jharry wrote:

1. FDR
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. James Monroe
8. Woodrow Wilson
9. Harry Truman

Didn't the expansion of slavery stop due to "his war"?

Didn't he stall emancipation because he was afraid it would cost him his war?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:15:50 PM
In no order.

Favorites:
FDR, Thomas Jefferson, JFK.

Least favorites:

Woodrow Wilson, George W Bush.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:17:06 PM
http://www.whyeverypresidentsucked.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:18:38 PM
At 9/20/2010 8:17:06 PM, Reasoning wrote:

LOL Every president makes a mistake, yes. But some suck more than others.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:20:34 PM
At 9/20/2010 8:17:06 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Determined to preserve the Union "at all costs," Lincoln did just that, suspending the writ of habeas corpus and imprisoning more than 18,000 of his critics during the Civil War. With the monetary costs incurred by the war alone, Lincoln could have bought and freed every single slave in America, plus given them the reconstruction promise of 40 acres and a mule. This simple cost analysis of course ignores the approximately 620,000 American soldier and civilian deaths that transpired over the course of the war.

Thank you again. Critics imprisoned. Cost of the war,lives and cash. All for more federal power.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:36:27 PM
I was president of a film club for a while. I missed a few weekends and people had to replan their sunday evenings. That's not so bad is it?
Things that are so interesting:

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 1:39:47 AM
1. Abraham Lincoln (because he smoked weed and endorsed it)
2. Barack Obama (because he smoked weed and admitted it)
3. Bill Clinton (because he smoked weed and kind of admitted it)
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
minervx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 4:26:59 AM
here's my top ten list.

1. Theodore Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Franklin Roosevelt
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. Harry Truman
7. Dwight Eisenhower
8. Ronald Reagan
9. John F. Kennedy
10. John Adams
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2010 8:37:40 PM

1. FDR

Did not like all of the social programs.

2. Theodore Roosevelt

Too imperialistic for my taste.

3. Abraham Lincoln

Was the Father of the Republican Party when it was a liberal party.

4. George Washington

I like him, but he did not have the policies I would agree with other then his non-intervention side.

: 5. Thomas Jefferson

He would be the closest to what I would call the "Best".

6. James Madison

Not so bad.

7. James Monroe

Not so bad.

And I do not mind Cleveland.

He was a part of the democratic party when it was the "conservative" party. Believed in small government.
I liked him, and I think he gets a bad wrap for reasons that are not of his doing.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 8:48:49 AM
At 9/21/2010 12:15:00 AM, zGodMode wrote:
Underrated:
Andrew Jackson.

Even I can enjoy reading about the fiery attitude of Andrew Jackson but come on!

When it comes down to his actual deeds he has got to rank among the lowest presidents. He completely mocked the constitutional checks and balances and refused to enforce a Supreme court decision out of Racism. and thousands of Cherokee, Seminole, Shawnee, ect... were forced to move in such a way that many of them died, even though by supreme court ruling the land they were being moved from was legally theirs by squatters rights

A Scout is Obedient.