Jump to topic:

Do native Americans get a fair deal?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 10:10:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Before the USA was colonised by European powers it was home to a wide range of native people. The contact with Europe was undoubtedly a negative for them as their lower levels of civilization and technology compared to Europe meant that they were unable to prevent the takeover of their territory. The use of resources by Europeans and the harmful effect of European diseases such as smallpox further weakened the strength of these civilizations who were soon outnumbered by generally hostile migrants. The approach of native people to the Europeans was varied. In some situations throughout history both groups co existed peacefully but in other situations hostility led to persecution and even forced enslavement of natives by Europeans. It is fair to say that Europe's actions would be unlawful by today's international law and a good argument can be made that the majority of the American population are illegally occupying the territory of another country. I'm not suggesting today's Americans are in the wrong or that they should leave or hand over control to native Americans, but I believe the 2% of American territory currently given to native Americans should receive more attention from the government. Infrastructure is generally poor, standards of health care and education below average and unemployment considerably above the national average. In my view the government owes native Americans significant investment on moral grounds. It is not really justifiable how they are treated.
nueron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 1:44:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/20/2015 10:10:38 PM, beng100 wrote:
Before the USA was colonised by European powers it was home to a wide range of native people. The contact with Europe was undoubtedly a negative for them as their lower levels of civilization and technology compared to Europe meant that they were unable to prevent the takeover of their territory. The use of resources by Europeans and the harmful effect of European diseases such as smallpox further weakened the strength of these civilizations who were soon outnumbered by generally hostile migrants. The approach of native people to the Europeans was varied. In some situations throughout history both groups co existed peacefully but in other situations hostility led to persecution and even forced enslavement of natives by Europeans. It is fair to say that Europe's actions would be unlawful by today's international law and a good argument can be made that the majority of the American population are illegally occupying the territory of another country. I'm not suggesting today's Americans are in the wrong or that they should leave or hand over control to native Americans, but I believe the 2% of American territory currently given to native Americans should receive more attention from the government. Infrastructure is generally poor, standards of health care and education below average and unemployment considerably above the national average. In my view the government owes native Americans significant investment on moral grounds. It is not really justifiable how they are treated. : :
Life was meant to be perceived as being unfair but it will be straightened out when God kills all the inhabitants on this earth. Then man will never see bodies die again.