Jump to topic:

The Benghazi Select Committee Hearings, pt. 2

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 2:58:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've posted a brief introduction to these before, but really, this is the moment where I really just have to lay the cards out.

Trey Gowdy has tried with everything in his capacity to preserve the legitimacy of the select committee hearings, because he is perfectly conscious of the fact that if he fails his career will be over --as it should be. This committee has been, since its initiation, nothing more than the pathetic attempt of the most vile among House Republicans to attack the service of one of the most acclaimed and accomplished public servants in this country's history: Hillary Clinton.

I know she is controversial. I know many of you, and many throughout the country don't like her, for many reasons. Those reasons are understandable, but the fact that this committee exists, and has been systematically orchestrated to thwart Clinton's presidential campaign reasonably suggests that this is the lowest position she has sank to. Really, this is the most shameful moment for the Republican party since Watergate.

I want you guys to remember what Watergate really was all about: Nixon sent some thugs to break into a Democratic office with the intent of obtaining documents and things that would presumably, in his view, hurt the Democratic party, and then lied about it, and then there was a huge cover up. That's really all it was.

In this instance, congressional Republicans, led by Trey Gowdy, have spent millions of taxpayer dollars, to engage in a duplicative investigation (the prior, separate and legitimate investigation already concluded that Clinton was not at fault), wage an outright media phalanx, and relentlessly assail Clinton's character beyond the furthest permissible inferences drawable from the truth. Gowdy and his thugs have gone through everything, looking for a smoking gun that simply is not there.

At their respective initiations, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Nixon snuck around, whereas Gowdy began under the auspices of ostensible legitimacy. Both Watergate and the Select Committee began, nevertheless, with the same purpose. The purpose was to use their positions of power to hurt their political opponents.

In their execution, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Gowdy used millions of taxpayer dollars, and government resources, over a long period of time, to invade and officiously exploit Clinton's record as Secretary of State, while finding nothing, because nothing was there; whereas Nixon just used some thugs to break into a building.

In their public perception, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Nixon was the subject of ongoing public shame, after his nefarious secrets were revealed. GOP whistleblowers have already lined up to throw Gowdy to the wolves, as they rightfully should. One--incredibly stupid--GOP mouthpiece even had the gaul to connect the GOP's political motives to the Select Committee on national TV.

Tomorrow, Gowdy will continue his charade and attempt to salvage his own Watergate. In reality, what he has done is worse than what Nixon did. Nixon, at least, did not have the temerity to waste millions of taxpayer dollars in his egregious abuse of his position of power to hurt his political opponents. Gowdy, in the alternative, whose party purports to be one of "fiscal conservatism" has done nothing less than that.

His days in Washington are numbered, because when this ends and, to use a phrase commonly employed in his home state of South Carolina, when the "chickens come home to roost," he will be a pariah inside the beltway even more than he already is. He is a disgrace to his party, and a what he is doing is a disgrace to the American political process.
Tsar of DDO
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 6:07:15 AM
At 10/22/2015 2:58:35 AM, YYW wrote:
I've posted a brief introduction to these before, but really, this is the moment where I really just have to lay the cards out.

Trey Gowdy has tried with everything in his capacity to preserve the legitimacy of the select committee hearings, because he is perfectly conscious of the fact that if he fails his career will be over --as it should be. This committee has been, since its initiation, nothing more than the pathetic attempt of the most vile among House Republicans to attack the service of one of the most acclaimed and accomplished public servants in this country's history: Hillary Clinton.

I know she is controversial. I know many of you, and many throughout the country don't like her, for many reasons. Those reasons are understandable, but the fact that this committee exists, and has been systematically orchestrated to thwart Clinton's presidential campaign reasonably suggests that this is the lowest position she has sank to. Really, this is the most shameful moment for the Republican party since Watergate.

I want you guys to remember what Watergate really was all about: Nixon sent some thugs to break into a Democratic office with the intent of obtaining documents and things that would presumably, in his view, hurt the Democratic party, and then lied about it, and then there was a huge cover up. That's really all it was.

Actually Nixon had set up the Plumbers to work outside the US government to find and dispel any potential enemies, political and personal (Nixon is a bit paranoid). Called the Plumbers because they occupied a storage room in the basement of the White House where the plumbing is exposed. The Plumbers took it upon themselves to break into the Democratic Party head quarters, located in the offices affixed to the Watergate Hotel, and find out who posed a threat to Nixon. When the Plumbers got busted Nixon had to disband the group and distance himself from them and those who knew of them. There was a lot of finger pointing and drama and Nixon was caught lying about the Plumbers existence and the fact he set up an agency outside the US Gov.

In this instance, congressional Republicans, led by Trey Gowdy, have spent millions of taxpayer dollars, to engage in a duplicative investigation (the prior, separate and legitimate investigation already concluded that Clinton was not at fault), wage an outright media phalanx, and relentlessly assail Clinton's character beyond the furthest permissible inferences drawable from the truth. Gowdy and his thugs have gone through everything, looking for a smoking gun that simply is not there.

At their respective initiations, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Nixon snuck around, whereas Gowdy began under the auspices of ostensible legitimacy. Both Watergate and the Select Committee began, nevertheless, with the same purpose. The purpose was to use their positions of power to hurt their political opponents.

In their execution, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Gowdy used millions of taxpayer dollars, and government resources, over a long period of time, to invade and officiously exploit Clinton's record as Secretary of State, while finding nothing, because nothing was there; whereas Nixon just used some thugs to break into a building.

In their public perception, the sole difference between what Gowdy has done and what Nixon did is that Nixon was the subject of ongoing public shame, after his nefarious secrets were revealed. GOP whistleblowers have already lined up to throw Gowdy to the wolves, as they rightfully should. One--incredibly stupid--GOP mouthpiece even had the gaul to connect the GOP's political motives to the Select Committee on national TV.

In the case of Benghazi there had to be a government investigation due to the loss of US government personnel on foreign soil. Rightfully so but this was before Hillary officially threw her hat in the ring

Tomorrow, Gowdy will continue his charade and attempt to salvage his own Watergate. In reality, what he has done is worse than what Nixon did. Nixon, at least, did not have the temerity to waste millions of taxpayer dollars in his egregious abuse of his position of power to hurt his political opponents. Gowdy, in the alternative, whose party purports to be one of "fiscal conservatism" has done nothing less than that.

His days in Washington are numbered, because when this ends and, to use a phrase commonly employed in his home state of South Carolina, when the "chickens come home to roost," he will be a pariah inside the beltway even more than he already is. He is a disgrace to his party, and a what he is doing is a disgrace to the American political process.

You could make comparison of Gowdy to Ken Starr, who got Bill Clinton impeached (only after he had left office) for lying about Lewinsky to the House Judiciary Committee (the Congress). Bill was later acquitted. But the comparison of Gowdy and Nixon is quite a reach.

Hillary, in both Benghazi and the Email scandals is that she was at the time, Secretary of State, which is in charge of the State Department that is in charge of the security of Government Officials (amoung other things). The question both cases is what did she know, when did she know and is she culpable.

I agree this expensive and time consuming. But , thats politics in a democracy
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
BigKim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 10:26:15 AM
"This committee has been, since its initiation, nothing more than the pathetic attempt of the most vile among House Republicans to attack the service of one of the most acclaimed and accomplished public servants in this country's history: Hillary Clinton."

You have got to be kidding..
acclaimed perhaps by the Idol worshipers of projected hyped image such as a Hollywood Star or Musician ,
Accomplished ? at what, standing by her husband those many years ?...
Look deeper than the superficial image Hilliary projects. America deserves better imo.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 12:30:45 PM
At 10/22/2015 6:07:15 AM, ironslippers wrote:
In the case of Benghazi there had to be a government investigation due to the loss of US government personnel on foreign soil. Rightfully so but this was before Hillary officially threw her hat in the ring

You are mistaken. There was another investigation before the Select Committee. It concluded that Clinton did nothing wrong. This committee was redundant, duplicative, and its sole purpose was to hurt Clinton politically.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 2:17:19 PM
I;m watching Gowdy right now. He without a doubt doing everything he can to be a jerk. Will there be ANYTHING new?
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 5:42:39 PM

While I agree that this is a partisan attack on Clinton, I whole heartedly think that it would be the same if the tables were turned. That's politics, we've all seen it over the years; left attacks right, right attacks left. If the Sec of State was a Republican, and this same scenario happened (and I know some will say it never would have if so and so was Sec of State), I guarantee you that the Democrats would be trying to do the same thing. IMO, a lot of Americans don't do their own research, don't ask questions, and leave it up to mainstream media to form an opinion for them. It doesn't seem like our government is working for the people, and how can they if they can't work together. Look at approval ratings for Congress over the past couple years- they're in the toilet, and that's Dems&Pubs together. People are so concerned with being "right", that our country is collapsing (DEBT anyone).

I'm not defending Hillary, because IMO, she has this attitude that she can do whatever she wants, and shouldn't be accountable to those beneath her (power and ego over many years has made her arrogant). But I'm also not rooting for her to get creamed, as these attacks in the end accomplish very little. People with that kind of notoriety and power are rarely held to the same standard as you or I, Clinton made face some embarrassment, and lose a few points in the polls, but at the end of the day, there will be another story to cover, and the media will focus on something else.

I'm just saying that recent history (last 20-25 years) shows that our political parties do not work together for the people anymore. The country is pretty evenly split on a lot of issues, with one side trying to cram their agendas/beliefs on the other and visa versa. Realistically, think about it, if the tables were turned, Reid and Pelosi would be screaming to bring down a Republican Sec of State, and all the media opinion writers would join in for their 15 minutes of fame.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 5:54:36 PM
At 10/22/2015 5:42:39 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

While I agree that this is a partisan attack on Clinton, I whole heartedly think that it would be the same if the tables were turned. That's politics, we've all seen it over the years; left attacks right, right attacks left. If the Sec of State was a Republican, and this same scenario happened (and I know some will say it never would have if so and so was Sec of State), I guarantee you that the Democrats would be trying to do the same thing. IMO, a lot of Americans don't do their own research, don't ask questions, and leave it up to mainstream media to form an opinion for them. It doesn't seem like our government is working for the people, and how can they if they can't work together. Look at approval ratings for Congress over the past couple years- they're in the toilet, and that's Dems&Pubs together. People are so concerned with being "right", that our country is collapsing (DEBT anyone).

I'm not defending Hillary, because IMO, she has this attitude that she can do whatever she wants, and shouldn't be accountable to those beneath her (power and ego over many years has made her arrogant). But I'm also not rooting for her to get creamed, as these attacks in the end accomplish very little. People with that kind of notoriety and power are rarely held to the same standard as you or I, Clinton made face some embarrassment, and lose a few points in the polls, but at the end of the day, there will be another story to cover, and the media will focus on something else.

I'm just saying that recent history (last 20-25 years) shows that our political parties do not work together for the people anymore. The country is pretty evenly split on a lot of issues, with one side trying to cram their agendas/beliefs on the other and visa versa. Realistically, think about it, if the tables were turned, Reid and Pelosi would be screaming to bring down a Republican Sec of State, and all the media opinion writers would join in for their 15 minutes of fame.

For what its worth, there have been many attacks on embassy during Bush, Bush Sr. Reagan. None of them were treated this way. There was less time spent on 9/11 then this. No. I think the track record is telling, and this has been simply over the top.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 6:00:41 PM
Here is what they need to ask. Here is the only point the Republicans can win in this one.

Ask why Clinton was using her own email server.
Ask if there was a lack of communication because of that lack gov email
Ask if she regrets this.

The only win the GOP has had is finding this email bit out. It is the only new information. It is the only bit that is resonating with the people the GOP wants to influence. Right or left, the email debacle has been a bother. Make the point, drop the mics and move on.

Otherwise, the Republicans are looking like lunatics. There are lots of Benghazi people who have no idea that the other committees happened at all. This one is only going to bring that, again, front and center. I think any additional time effort is counter to the mission the GOP has set. So. Ask about the email, end the entire thing.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 7:27:35 PM
At 10/22/2015 6:00:41 PM, TBR wrote:
Here is what they need to ask. Here is the only point the Republicans can win in this one.

Ask why Clinton was using her own email server.
Ask if there was a lack of communication because of that lack gov email
Ask if she regrets this.

Otherwise, the Republicans are looking like lunatics.

First off, we can clearly see from this as well as every other hearing, the Democrats have not participated in these hearings with honest drive and curiosity at a single turn. Republicans ask probing questions, the Democrats followup with attacking the committee for being there or talk for 9:30 and let Hillary talk about nothing important for 0:30. It's horribly partisan, if the Democrats would have treated it with the respect and attention it deserves...maybe this whole thing would be finished by now...but what can you truly expect from today's congress?

Listening to this, I think there are a bunch of other questions that need to be asked:

1) Ambassador Stevens sent multiple requests for additional security. You state that they were not sent directly to you Hillary. So who were they sent to?

2) If you don't know who they were sent to, why don't you?

3) Was Ambassador Stevens given contact information by yourself or any other member of the State Department in order to get in direct contact with you, or someone close to you that would relay communications your way immediately?

4) If yes, who provided that contact info to Stevens? If no, why not?

5) Either way, Stevens contacted the State Department numerous times regarding the need for heightened security; yet you state that not a single communication made it to your desk. Have you investigated why these requests never made it to your desk?

6) Have you reported or punished any individual within the State Department for not getting those communications to your desk?

7) At this point in time, do you know who was sent those requests for security?

8) Why don't you know?

9) Are there any investigations within the State Department geared toward finding who was contacted on this matter and why you never received those communications?

10) Where did the false explanation of the video come from?

11) Why is it not important to you, or the administration, or the State Department to find answers to these questions?

That's a good start I believe :)
idoubtit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 7:48:40 PM
I'm watching the hearings today. The republicans are asking questions to get to the truth, as they should. It's very obvious by now that previous attempts were unsuccessful due to a cover-up. Every time a democrat opens their mouth at this hearing, I'm appalled. They have no interest in getting to the truth, just in attacking republicans. Funny too, those democrats speaking seem to be saying exactly what Clinton is happy they brought up. Please don't anyone try to tell me that Clinton didn't spend the past week conspiring with those very speakers, because it's obvious she did. From what I've seen so far, it seems to me that this goes deeper than Clinton. This was all about Obama, ensuring he got elected again, with false information to the people of this country.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 7:51:27 PM
At 10/22/2015 7:48:40 PM, idoubtit wrote:
I'm watching the hearings today. The republicans are asking questions to get to the truth, as they should. It's very obvious by now that previous attempts were unsuccessful due to a cover-up. Every time a democrat opens their mouth at this hearing, I'm appalled. They have no interest in getting to the truth, just in attacking republicans. Funny too, those democrats speaking seem to be saying exactly what Clinton is happy they brought up. Please don't anyone try to tell me that Clinton didn't spend the past week conspiring with those very speakers, because it's obvious she did. From what I've seen so far, it seems to me that this goes deeper than Clinton. This was all about Obama, ensuring he got elected again, with false information to the people of this country.

We are watching very different things. What truth do you think the Republicans are getting at? Just who gets credit?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 7:59:40 PM
GOP trying to get to the bottom of the burning question... Did Clinton try to take credit for Gaddafi!

Can anyone honestly tell me what that, or much of anything asked, has to do with Benghazi?

Want to know the ONLY person doing any actual questions? Tammy Duckworth!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 8:42:00 PM

LMAO. Look, I know you like Hillary. But even she can't give a good answer on what she's achieved, and it's not because she has just so many amazing achievements.

And the Democratic Party didn't take attempts to thwart Republicans? It's politics. Surely you know how it works.

Really small fries in comparison to a lot of things administrations in the future have done.

Actually the big distinction is that Nixon was paranoid and convinced that he would somehow be vulnerable to Democrats in a year they nominated George McGovern.

Since when do you care about wasted taxpayer dollars? You are a liberal. An intelligence, respectable liberal, but still one who probably couldn't find a government spinning program you don't like. We've literally spent more on studies on why lesbians are fat and origami condoms than on this committee.

If he's disliked by the 'establishment', that's news to me. He's definitely in the Loudmouth caucus, but you don't just give big committee assignments to people out to get you.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:19:06 AM
At 10/22/2015 7:51:27 PM, TBR wrote:

We are watching very different things. What truth do you think the Republicans are getting at? Just who gets credit?

That's the point, they are trying to get to the truth, just like a detective, a lawyer, an interrogator, etc. Problem is, good cop isn't playing along. Good cop is instead giving the suspect the answers to the questions...so to speak.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:30:49 AM
At 10/22/2015 7:59:40 PM, TBR wrote:
GOP trying to get to the bottom of the burning question... Did Clinton try to take credit for Gaddafi!

Can anyone honestly tell me what that, or much of anything asked, has to do with Benghazi?

Want to know the ONLY person doing any actual questions? Tammy Duckworth!

Not much of a detective are you? It's a line of questioning which correlates with all the other questions, main objective: to show that the entire thing was a cover up to help Obama's presidential re-election bid.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:44:40 AM
This has been an utter disgrace to the American political process. The GOP has embarissed itself beyond measure. Trey Gowdy is a disgrace to the GOP.

You know who is awesome though? Rep. Elijah Cummings, the committee"s ranking Democrat, from Baltimore. That guy is the sh!t.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:45:42 AM
At 10/22/2015 8:42:00 PM, TN05 wrote:

Since when do you care about wasted taxpayer dollars? You are a liberal. An intelligence, respectable liberal, but still one who probably couldn't find a government spinning program you don't like. We've literally spent more on studies on why lesbians are fat and origami condoms than on this committee.

Source for origami condoms? Just curious.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 12:51:45 AM
At 10/23/2015 12:44:40 AM, YYW wrote:
This has been an utter disgrace to the American political process. The GOP has embarissed itself beyond measure. Trey Gowdy is a disgrace to the GOP.

You know who is awesome though? Rep. Elijah Cummings, the committee"s ranking Democrat, from Baltimore. That guy is the sh!t.

The guy that hasn't asked a single honest, probing question the entire time the committee has been assembled? He literally joined the committee to get his nose as far up Hillary and Obama's back sides as humanly possible....then another 3 feet deeper.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:00:38 AM
At 10/23/2015 12:45:42 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/22/2015 8:42:00 PM, TN05 wrote:

Source for origami condoms? Just curious.

http://finance.yahoo.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:08:48 AM
A Review of Today's Proceedings:

1. Gowdy was channeling his inner McCarthy.

2. Republicans had no smoking gun, nor any legitimate reason for having these hearings.

3. The only questions asked by Republicans were for their own political purposes.

4. Hillary Clinton can reasonably, and impressively withstand a McCarthy-style inquisition.

How Today will be Remembered:

1. This is the most profoundly disturbing development in the history of American foreign policy that has ever transpired.

2. The fact that these hearings even transpired, the manner in which they transpired, and the substance of questions asked in the course of what happened today represents an unprecedented change in the way that congressional investigations transpire.

3. The threshold of evidence required to have specious investigations has been disconcertingly lowered. Now, less than smoke in mirrors will suffice.

4. This sets a dangerous precedent for any future secretary of state, and lends an even more dangerous precedent for members of a party out of power to grievously damage the integrity of American civil service for the sole purpose of amplifying their political standing.
Tsar of DDO
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:13:47 AM
At 10/22/2015 12:30:45 PM, YYW wrote:

You are mistaken. There was another investigation before the Select Committee. It concluded that Clinton did nothing wrong. This committee was redundant, duplicative, and its sole purpose was to hurt Clinton politically.

I am corrected
according to the statement Hillary gave today it has been investigated 4 times.
Staying abreast of politics is a full time job and I already have one of those
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:15:14 AM
At 10/23/2015 1:13:47 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 10/22/2015 12:30:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I am corrected
according to the statement Hillary gave today it has been investigated 4 times.

No worries.

Staying abreast of politics is a full time job and I already have one of those

You probably don't want to hear me talk about the hours I work...
Tsar of DDO