Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

GOP - White christian male (how can you win)

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 7:37:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The GOP has won 1 presidential election with the plurality of the votes in the last 24 years. Consistently in both the senate and congress democrats get MORE votes, regardless of how many seats they win.

Republicans face the worst demographic issues -

"Democrats hold advantages in party identification among blacks, Asians, Hispanics, well-educated adults and Millennials. Republicans have leads among whites " particularly white men, those with less education and evangelical Protestants " as well as members of the Silent Generation."

http://www.people-press.org......

basicly only winning when voter turnout is low.

I have asked before, asking honestly again, what is the path you (a republican) see for this cycle? Yes, holding seats in the house is possible, but the numbers are not a lie. More people are voting Democratic than Republican (except state level races - always interesting).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 8:02:55 PM
At 10/25/2015 7:37:48 PM, TBR wrote:
The GOP has won 1 presidential election with the plurality of the votes in the last 24 years. Consistently in both the senate and congress democrats get MORE votes, regardless of how many seats they win.

"Democrats hold advantages in party identification among blacks, Asians, Hispanics, well-educated adults and Millennials. Republicans have leads among whites " particularly white men, those with less education and evangelical Protestants " as well as members of the Silent Generation."

I have asked before, asking honestly again, what is the path you (a republican) see for this cycle? Yes, holding seats in the house is possible, but the numbers are not a lie. More people are voting Democratic than Republican (except state level races - always interesting).

Free Stuffs.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 8:18:27 PM
Bump
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 8:53:29 PM
At 10/25/2015 8:02:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Free Stuffs.

Don't know what that had to do with it
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 8:56:34 PM
At 10/25/2015 8:53:29 PM, TBR wrote:

Free Stuffs.

That is the path.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:00:39 PM
man, it's almost as if the left realized in the 1960s that they could never win with the current population and had to import a new one...but obviously that isn't true, demographic change is just a force of nature
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:04:53 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:00:39 PM, thett3 wrote:
man, it's almost as if the left realized in the 1960s that they could never win with the current population and had to import a new one...but obviously that isn't true, demographic change is just a force of nature

But immigrants are only looking for a place to work and to improve their condition in life. What can be more american than that? It would be cruel and inhumane to close the borders based on a racist ideology just for political gains. It is no wonder republicans get a rap for being called racist.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:10:48 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:04:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/25/2015 9:00:39 PM, thett3 wrote:

But immigrants are only looking for a place to work and to improve their condition in life. What can be more american than that? It would be cruel and inhumane to close the borders based on a racist ideology just for political gains. It is no wonder republicans get a rap for being called racist.

That's true. Republicans love to spurt their racist ideology, but they realize that we need as many people as possible to help us embark on another pointless, suicidal war in the middle east so they grit their teeth and keep quiet.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:14:36 PM
I don't think they can keep winning nationally: http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:50:30 PM
At 10/25/2015 8:56:34 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/25/2015 8:53:29 PM, TBR wrote:

Free Stuffs.

That is the path.

So you think the GOP is offering "free stuff"? You think that is their path to the WH?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:53:47 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:14:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I keep wondering - honestly - what the discussion is in the back room. They know this map. They know the trends. White male Christians MAY get them one more national election at best. What then?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:58:01 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:53:47 PM, TBR wrote:

I keep wondering - honestly - what the discussion is in the back room. They know this map. They know the trends. White male Christians MAY get them one more national election at best. What then?

The problem is that establishment republicans realize this, but they also have a competing desire: appease the Tea Party. They cannot win elections without also getting them on board. They're in an impossible position.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 11:44:34 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:58:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:

The problem is that establishment republicans realize this, but they also have a competing desire: appease the Tea Party. They cannot win elections without also getting them on board. They're in an impossible position.

My brother insists that the GOP will not let it happen. They, the GOP, do NOT have to make Trump their candidate regardless of how many primaries he wins. They can say "thanks, but we are going with Bush".
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 11:45:35 PM
At 10/25/2015 11:44:34 PM, TBR wrote:

My brother insists that the GOP will not let it happen. They, the GOP, do NOT have to make Trump their candidate regardless of how many primaries he wins. They can say "thanks, but we are going with Bush".

Now that would cause a lot of drama.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 1:53:52 AM
At 10/25/2015 11:45:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Insta Jeb loss, as Trump will immediately declare his independent pledge null and void. Jeb won't win under any scenario.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 2:15:02 AM
At 10/26/2015 1:53:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/25/2015 11:45:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Insta Jeb loss, as Trump will immediately declare his independent pledge null and void. Jeb won't win under any scenario.

I have open bets. You willing to take? Yea, I think Bush will be the nominee.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 7:32:04 PM

The truth doesn't always win in the short term, but always does in the long. I personally don't see how the Republicans can win in the US, because I don't think people want to acknowledge reality. (Even if the Republicans are also off base on reality, they are closer to it.)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:13:18 PM
Higher Hispanic populations equal more Democratic voters.
It's a simple concept: Hispanics who are citizens (and therefore eligible voters) resent the GOP for not letting illegal immigrants bypass the system. They're mad that Uncle Pedro who decided it was too much of a bother to wait for official approval and crossed the border in the dead of night isn't being given the same privileges as Uncle Marco who immigrated the legal way. Therefore they vote Democrat.
This demographic shift doesn't necessarily reflect the GOP doing something wrong but rather human nature and race loyalty over national loyalty.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Sarai.K82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:23:35 PM

I have asked before, asking honestly again, what is the path you (a republican) see for :this cycle? Yes, holding seats in the house is possible, but the numbers are not a lie.

One word: Gerrymandering. The Republicans have a lock on the House for years to come and a small-state advantage in terms of the Senate. The Presidency is where they lose.

The Republicans can be competitive this presidential election (if they don't nominate a clown like Trump who can win the Republican primary but he will not carry a general election), but it's probably the last time they have a legitimate shot. Eventually, the factors you point out will lose the Senate for them and then finally the House.

The Republicans will then jigger with their platform to find a way back into the game.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:26:07 PM
At 10/26/2015 9:13:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It's a simple concept: Hispanics who are citizens (and therefore eligible voters) resent the GOP for not letting illegal immigrants bypass the system. They're mad that Uncle Pedro who decided it was too much of a bother to wait for official approval and crossed the border in the dead of night isn't being given the same privileges as Uncle Marco who immigrated the legal way. Therefore they vote Democrat.
This demographic shift doesn't necessarily reflect the GOP doing something wrong but rather human nature and race loyalty over national loyalty.

Sound a little like you just don't like the Hispanics voting. Regardless, they have every right to vote, they are just as much American citizens as any white christian. Unless you want to redefine what democracy is, you guys have a problem.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:27:39 PM
One word: Gerrymandering. The Republicans have a lock on the House for years to come and a small-state advantage in terms of the Senate. The Presidency is where they lose.

Yup. When you look at the raw numbers, there are WAY more votes for Democrats.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:31:00 PM
At 10/26/2015 9:26:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/26/2015 9:13:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Sound a little like you just don't like the Hispanics voting. Regardless, they have every right to vote, they are just as much American citizens as any white christian. Unless you want to redefine what democracy is, you guys have a problem.

I'm sorry, but...you post stuff like this and GOP voters are the ones called ignorant? This is a complete strawman. I have no problem with the concept of Hispanic citizens voting. What I have a problem with is people going "Hey my relatives should get a free pass to come here and be able to bypass all immigration laws and if the GOP won't allow us to do this then we'll all vote as a single Hispanic voter bloc against them to further our interests as a race above those of the American legal system!"
Now, if the GOP wanted to keep Hispanic citizens from voting (which I don't recall them doing), then people would have a reason to complain.
Democracy is a system where all legally eligible (that is, adults, non-felons, registered)citizens of a country are able to vote. There is absolutely no inconsistency here.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:34:56 PM

Are you saying THAT was not a strawman?

And this?

Now, if the GOP wanted to keep Hispanic citizens from voting (which I don't recall them doing), then people would have a reason to complain.

Voter Suppression is a real thing, and it is GOP all the way.
http://www.slate.com...

Democracy is a system where all legally eligible (that is, adults, non-felons, registered)citizens of a country are able to vote. There is absolutely no inconsistency here.

Good. Just understand that the sand is shifting. The white guy is not the only voice in the room anymore.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:50:50 PM
At 10/26/2015 9:34:56 PM, TBR wrote:

Are you saying THAT was not a strawman?

And this?

Neither of these two things are strawmen.

Voter Suppression is a real thing, and it is GOP all the way.
http://www.slate.com...

Slate is as liberal as *expletive*. Of course they'd follow continue to circulate a common Liberal talking point.

Good. Just understand that the sand is shifting. The white guy is not the only voice in the room anymore.

Such a demographics shift in itself is not a problem. The legal Hispanic community is trying to defend millions of fellow Hispanics who are placing themselves above the law. That's where the problem lies by voting in a monolithic bloc for the party which would allow these people to get away with breaking the law.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:59:09 PM
If you bothered to look you would have seen the report was done by Al Jazeera America. Regardless, I can supply plenty of other articles you will dismiss.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:02:08 AM
At 10/26/2015 11:59:09 PM, TBR wrote:
If you bothered to look you would have seen the report was done by Al Jazeera America. Regardless, I can supply plenty of other articles you will dismiss.

Yes, Al-Jazeera is quite Liberal as well. Most media sources are.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:05:45 AM
At 10/27/2015 12:02:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So your solution is to completely ignore the issue. Its Rush or nothing. Got it!
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:07:58 AM
The point of this thread was about the dwindling prospects for Republicans nationally. I count among the issues a stubbornness to accept anything BUT information from the echo chamber. FOX has not been a friend - it has only diluted the die-hard into believing that all their wishes are true.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 1:30:05 AM
At 10/27/2015 12:05:45 AM, TBR wrote:
At 10/27/2015 12:02:08 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So your solution is to completely ignore the issue. Its Rush or nothing. Got it!

I'm simply saying: anybody can do a study which ends in a way that favors their position.
The mainstream media talks about studies done showing that gay people live happy lives and that they're really great parents. Then there are studies by, say, the AFA which state the exact opposite.

The DDO Blog:

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:21:00 AM

Regarding the presidency, Americans seem to favor to favor the party which doesn't control congress, so that is a negative for the GOP. Economically, the electorate seems to favor a Democratic president. Where the GOP has a possible advantage is in foreign policy and culture-- remember the old "God, guns, and gays" strategy, although views against gays seem to be waning now.

The electoral college system, along with voter ID laws and gerrymandering, all favor the GOP. But yes, demographics are evolving, and the Tea Party seems to be a negative force in the GOP in the long run.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz