Jump to topic:

Electoral Map Leans Blue

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:14:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The map is getting harder from the GOP. My handy-dandy source: http://www.270towin.com...

=============================

TRENDS

"Reliable" means voting for a party in at least 4 of the last 5 Presidential elections.

Reliably Blue States: NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI = 257 Electoral Votes

Reliably Red States: ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN = 206 Electoral Votes

Unreliable States: NV, CO, OH, VA, FL = 75 Electoral Votes

This means that, provided these trends of reliability hold, the Democrats only need to win a minimum of 1 extra state (FL) and a maximum of 2 extra states (NV, CO) in order to win. The GOP, however, would have to win FL, OH, AND VA plus either NV or CO to win (so, the GOP must win at least 4 of the 5 unreliable states).

MY ANALYSIS

Now, if we recognize that these historical trends aren't always great indicators of the current situation, we could perhaps rewrite the divisions to look like this:

Reliably Blue States: NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, WI, IL, MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI = 215 Electoral Votes

Reliably Red States: ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN = 191 Electoral Votes

Blue-Leaning: NV, CO, MI, IA = 37 Electoral Votes
Red-Leaning: NC = 15 Electoral Votes
Total Flips: OH, VA, FL, PA = 80 Electoral Votes

So, let's put this together. If we assume 4 out of the 5 blue-leaning states vote blue, the Democrats can add somewhere between 21 and 28 votes to their tally. At the very least, that puts them at 236 total. Let's assume that the Democrats also win 2 of the "total flips," which would give them between 31 and 49 votes. If they get somewhere in the middle, like 38, they cross the threshold to win. If all blue-leaning states vote blue, then the Democrats would only need to win 1 state (OH) to win, and they could safely lose PA, FL, and VA.

Similarly, if we assume that the red-leaning state votes red, the GOP would have 206 votes total. To reach the "270 to win" mark, they would have to win ALL four "total flips."

TL;DR

The electoral math for the upcoming election favors Democrats.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:18:11 PM
My personal prediction:

Voting Blue

NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI, NV, CO, VA, OH

283 Electoral Votes

Voting Red

ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN, PA, FL

255 Electoral Votes

Result

Democrats win by about 28 Electoral Votes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:41:31 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:18:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
My personal prediction:

Voting Blue

NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI, NV, CO, VA, OH

283 Electoral Votes

Voting Red

ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN, PA, FL

255 Electoral Votes

Result

PA is pretty much blue territory, imo - especially with who the Republicans are putting out there.

The last time it was remotely close was 2004 at about 2%, and Democrats took it. It hasn't changed since 1988, and it's gotten substantially bluer since then.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:46:06 PM
My personal prediction:

Voting Blue

283 Electoral Votes

Voting Red

If this is the case, how will Florida impact the election?

255 Electoral Votes

Result

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:47:22 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:41:31 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
My personal prediction:

Voting Blue

283 Electoral Votes

Voting Red

255 Electoral Votes

Result

PA is pretty much blue territory, imo - especially with who the Republicans are putting out there.

Polls actually show it trending towards a more competitive status, largely because of population loss in its urban areas. In 16 years, it could be a red-leaning state. But then there are other states, like VA, TX, NC, IN and MT that are getting increasingly blue.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:48:29 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:46:06 PM, SamStevens wrote:
Voting Red

If this is the case, how will Florida impact the election?

My point is, quite simply, it really doesn't have the importance it used to have. Democrats don't need to win it to win nationally, anymore, though--obviously--it would be helpful to win it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:51:39 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:47:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:
My personal prediction:

Voting Blue

283 Electoral Votes

Voting Red

255 Electoral Votes

Result

Polls actually show it trending towards a more competitive status, largely because of population loss in its urban areas. In 16 years, it could be a red-leaning state. But then there are other states, like VA, TX, NC, IN and MT that are getting increasingly blue.

It's not close to that yet.

I have Democrats getting at least 300 in this.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:54:06 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:51:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Yeah, I think they'll win Florida, which would put them over 300. But, I had them losing FL to demonstrate how much easier the map really is for them than it was in, say, 2000.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:55:46 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:54:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yeah, I think they'll win Florida, which would put them over 300. But, I had them losing FL to demonstrate how much easier the map really is for them than it was in, say, 2000.

I actually had them losing Florida, most likely, but it's still impossible when you then factor Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico being blue.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 9:57:43 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:55:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 10/25/2015 9:54:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I actually had them losing Florida, most likely, but it's still impossible when you then factor Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico being blue.

Florida will be *really* close again. #SCOTUSRECOUNTS But, even though they reelected Rick Scott (*vomits*), I think that they'll vote Blue when Dems turnout more.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:17:36 PM
Democrats are just all around better at winning elections and political warfare. I think a lot of it, has to do with the fact that they come closer to having a vision. The Democrats are for things, while Republicans are against things. It really doesn't have to be this way, Republicans can be for things also, and do a little better at winning.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:21:41 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:17:36 PM, Wylted wrote:
Democrats are just all around better at winning elections and political warfare. I think a lot of it, has to do with the fact that they come closer to having a vision. The Democrats are for things, while Republicans are against things. It really doesn't have to be this way, Republicans can be for things also, and do a little better at winning.

Republican are for things, but they're for things that annoy most voters. Plus, they're imploding atm...so, there's that...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:28:11 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:21:41 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Republican are for things, but they're for things that annoy most voters. Plus, they're imploding atm...so, there's that...

This implosion thing is just a little silly. This is what people have been saying for the last hundred years. I'm sure it looks that way to a guy that is both young and a Democrat, but it's not the case. It's a big tent party that welcomes a lot of different ideologies, so there always has been and always will be a lot of in fighting. When you have a party full of big government socially conservative people and small government socially liberal people, this will happen.

@BSH1, 30 years from now your children will still be talking about how the Republican Party is imploding.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:29:56 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:28:11 PM, Wylted wrote:

This implosion thing is just a little silly. This is what people have been saying for the last hundred years. I'm sure it looks that way to a guy that is both young and a Democrat, but it's not the case.

Eh, I disagree. I think the split with the Tea Party will keep the GOP in-fighting to the point where they will be unable to effectively lead, win, or have successful PR.

It's a big tent party that welcomes a lot of different ideologies, so there always has been and always will be a lot of in fighting.

Not to this extent.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 1:13:50 AM
I think dems are likely to win for the reasons you have mentioned....but the recent piece I linked to below makes, I think, a pretty compelling case that the advantageous electoral map and the current GOP crisis has made dems complacent to a series of alarming (from the dems perspective) shifts in national political structure

I think it makes a pretty good point.

http://www.vox.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 4:22:44 PM
At 10/25/2015 10:28:11 PM, Wylted wrote:

This implosion thing is just a little silly. This is what people have been saying for the last hundred years. I'm sure it looks that way to a guy that is both young and a Democrat, but it's not the case. It's a big tent party that welcomes a lot of different ideologies, so there always has been and always will be a lot of in fighting. When you have a party full of big government socially conservative people and small government socially liberal people, this will happen.

@BSH1, 30 years from now your children will still be talking about how the Republican Party is imploding.

Well, Democrats have traditionally been called the "big tent", and it is. The problems of the 60's and 70's for the democrats have been sorted, but at that time the party was a mess. Republicans are living through this now. The problems, in my opinion, started when Republicans courted uber-religion.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:17:40 PM
At 10/25/2015 9:14:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
The map is getting harder from the GOP. My handy-dandy source: http://www.270towin.com...

TRENDS

"Reliable" means voting for a party in at least 4 of the last 5 Presidential elections.

Reliably Blue States: NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI = 257 Electoral Votes

Reliably Red States: ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, NC, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN = 206 Electoral Votes

Unreliable States: NV, CO, OH, VA, FL = 75 Electoral Votes

This means that, provided these trends of reliability hold, the Democrats only need to win a minimum of 1 extra state (FL) and a maximum of 2 extra states (NV, CO) in order to win. The GOP, however, would have to win FL, OH, AND VA plus either NV or CO to win (so, the GOP must win at least 4 of the 5 unreliable states).

MY ANALYSIS

Now, if we recognize that these historical trends aren't always great indicators of the current situation, we could perhaps rewrite the divisions to look like this:

Reliably Blue States: NM, CA, WA, OR, MN, WI, IL, MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, HI = 215 Electoral Votes

Reliably Red States: ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, UT, AZ, NE, KS, OK, TX, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, SC, KY, WV, AK, IN = 191 Electoral Votes

Blue-Leaning: NV, CO, MI, IA = 37 Electoral Votes
Red-Leaning: NC = 15 Electoral Votes
Total Flips: OH, VA, FL, PA = 80 Electoral Votes

So, let's put this together. If we assume 4 out of the 5 blue-leaning states vote blue, the Democrats can add somewhere between 21 and 28 votes to their tally. At the very least, that puts them at 236 total. Let's assume that the Democrats also win 2 of the "total flips," which would give them between 31 and 49 votes. If they get somewhere in the middle, like 38, they cross the threshold to win. If all blue-leaning states vote blue, then the Democrats would only need to win 1 state (OH) to win, and they could safely lose PA, FL, and VA.

Similarly, if we assume that the red-leaning state votes red, the GOP would have 206 votes total. To reach the "270 to win" mark, they would have to win ALL four "total flips."

TL;DR

The electoral math for the upcoming election favors Democrats.

Come on Texas, be more blue!!!
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:18:40 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:17:40 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Lol...TX is trending blue, long-term, though. Someday, it will be a flip state. When that happens, the GOP is doomed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:19:01 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:18:40 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Lol...TX is trending blue, long-term, though. Someday, it will be a flip state. When that happens, the GOP is doomed.

I'll be ready.

Epic Quotes:

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:23:08 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:19:01 PM, TheProphett wrote:

I'll be ready.

I had hopes for Wendy Davis. Texas will turn, but it is going to be a bit longer.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:23:13 PM

Breaking News!!!

Headline: Blue taking Texas by Storm (2050)

In Texas, surprising things have happened in the Governor election. It turns out, a Liberal candidate has taken the polls by storm. Under the guise of, TheProphett, a candidate bringing with him a blue wave of democratic support has taken over the state! Good news for liberals across the country.

Epic Quotes:

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:24:08 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:23:13 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Breaking News!!!

In Texas, surprising things have happened in the Governor election. It turns out, a Liberal candidate has taken the polls by storm. Under the guise of, TheProphett, a candidate bringing with him a blue wave of democratic support has taken over the state! Good news for liberals across the country.

Rofl :) Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:24:32 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:23:08 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/26/2015 10:19:01 PM, TheProphett wrote:

I'll be ready.

I had hopes for Wendy Davis. Texas will turn, but it is going to be a bit longer.

Me too...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:26:11 PM

Texas would probably be a swing state if we didn't have a nonexistent voting culture. I was talking to a friend about this the other day, and I don't think I know a single person who voted in 2014. Texas has a really long history of one party rule reaching all the way back to the pre civil war days. The only time it was competitive was during the southern democrat purge in the 70s/80s
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:26:21 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:24:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Breaking News!!!

Governor is one of the bottom rungs on my ambitious path to Kim-Jong-Ethan, but it will do for now.

Epic Quotes:

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:27:05 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:26:21 PM, TheProphett wrote:
At 10/26/2015 10:24:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Breaking News!!!

Governor is one of the bottom rungs on my ambitious path to Kim-Jong-Ethan, but it will do for now.

LMFAO! I love it :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:28:42 PM
this says Texas voter turnout was almost 30%: http://www.dallasobserver.com...

That seems shockingly high. Maybe when they say "eligible voters" they only mean registered voters? Many people I know are not registered
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:35:13 PM
At 10/26/2015 4:22:44 PM, TBR wrote:
The problems, in my opinion, started when Republicans courted uber-religion.

On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

-Barry Goldwater, 1981

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:36:33 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:28:42 PM, thett3 wrote:

That seems shockingly high. Maybe when they say "eligible voters" they only mean registered voters? Many people I know are not registered

Why do you think it is low?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:38:28 PM
At 10/26/2015 10:36:33 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/26/2015 10:28:42 PM, thett3 wrote:

Why do you think it is low?

I don't know a single person who voted
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett