Jump to topic:

Free speech

tea_and_coffee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 5:27:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should there be any restrictions on Free speech?

In America, the first amendment protects the right to free speech.
The first amendment does not protect what you say, only your right to speak this means that the first amendment doesn't protect you from hate speech

Does the first amendment apply to social media? And if not, should it?

Will this restrict our right to free speech?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 5:30:42 PM
Free speech, as well as all the amendments, applies to government, and not private citizens. As such, social media is not required to protect anyone's free speech. In fact, no media is required.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 5:31:25 PM
At 10/28/2015 5:30:42 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Free speech, as well as all the amendments, applies to government, and not private citizens. As such, social media is not required to protect anyone's free speech. In fact, no media is required.

Let me rephrase:
The first amendment governs the government, not citizens.
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:20:29 PM
The government or government-affiliated entities cannot censor you. Media can choose to not air your opinion, or block it if they see it as vulgar.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:21:34 PM
At 10/28/2015 6:20:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The government or government-affiliated entities cannot censor you. Media can choose to not air your opinion, or block it if they see it as vulgar.

And there should be restrictions on freedom of speech. It's socially unhealthy to allow people to go as far as they may please.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:57:33 PM
At 10/28/2015 5:27:33 PM, tea_and_coffee wrote:

The first amendment does not protect what you say, only your right to speak this means that the first amendment doesn't protect you from hate speech

Will this restrict our right to free speech?

Yea, covered well already, but I don't know why this concept gets muddled so quickly. The right to "free speech" really has zero to do with the policy's of any company, or any individual. If the GOVERNMENT made a new law about not saying "boo" on-line, that would be the first-amendment issue.

Now. Should the government make laws restricting free speak? Sure, there are a number and they are helpful - cant scream fire in a crowded place. What will be needed is up for debate. Generally, the bar is higher than simply hurting your feelings, or calling you a bad name. It has to cause harm.
scuzz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2015 3:12:09 AM
At 10/28/2015 5:27:33 PM, tea_and_coffee wrote:

Will this restrict our right to free speech? : :

There is no definition of hate speech. Free speech means that I can stand on a public sidewalk and say anything I want or write anything I want on a sign without being attacked by our government or anyone else. Hate speech is okay but if you act out that hatred by physically harming someone, then there are laws to prosecute that perpetrator.

Freedom of speech in the U.S. has been under attack ever since that law was made so it's important to keep it a law. Otherwise, the courts would be full of cases where the judge would have to decide if it was hate speech or not, which is happening because they are not following the law that protects our freedom to speak what's on our mind.

It's people like you who hate the freedom of speech law that protects our rights to say what's on our mind.