Jump to topic:

NYT: Racial disparity in traffic stops

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 5:49:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
NYT analysis of 4 states (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Illinois, North Carolina) traffic stop data found blacks were 2-6 times more likely to be stopped by police.

Even more interesting is that blacks are LESS LIKELY to be found with contraband than whites. The exception is Rhode Island, where blacks are substantially more likely to be found with contraband.

http://www.nytimes.com...

My takeaway from this is mostly just sympathy for people who feel like the state is out to get them due to the color of their skin.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 6:20:34 PM
At 10/31/2015 5:49:18 PM, Raisor wrote:
NYT analysis of 4 states (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Illinois, North Carolina) traffic stop data found blacks were 2-6 times more likely to be stopped by police.

Even more interesting is that blacks are LESS LIKELY to be found with contraband than whites. The exception is Rhode Island, where blacks are substantially more likely to be found with contraband.

My takeaway from this is mostly just sympathy for people who feel like the state is out to get them due to the color of their skin.

Well, when you are stopped 4-6x more often, the percentage of contraband is bound to drop, right?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 7:38:48 PM
Yeah, I read that. Ugh. Although it just further validates what the black community has been saying for forever.

Reminds me of this:

Oh, *now*it's a problem and people want gentler laws.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 9:56:44 PM
At 10/31/2015 6:20:34 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, when you are stopped 4-6x more often, the percentage of contraband is bound to drop, right?

So the argument would be most of the people initially stopped are more likely to be guilty, as more people are stopped that likelihood drops, hence the lower percentage?

This still suggests that the excessive detention of black people is unwarranted.

Plus if you read the article a major argument is that any confrontation with the police (i.e. a traffic stop) is an opportunity to be charged with SOMETHING and is a flashpoint for violence.

If you have twice as many stops resulting in 75% as many contraband infractions, you are arresting 50% more black people than white people despite a lower rate of infraction.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that white people are far more likely to be pulled over and let off without any citation.

It's just layers of statistics that show how interactions with the justice system are contingent on race.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 10:08:06 PM

Most smart departments will advise their officers to increase traffic stops in high crime areas, but decrease the frequency of tickets. So if they're stopping people in black neighborhoods 4 times as much, they should be 4 times less likely per stop to write a ticket.

One of the reasons for increased stops in high crime areas, is because it has been showed that frequent stops in an area, dramatically reduce the incidences of car jackings.

These broken windows policies, such as the one I mentioned are supposed to be counter balanced by more "community policing", but community policing is just given lip service in most places, and you can see the effects of this, by the civil unrest in places like Baltimore and Ferguson after some high profile incidents.

Community policing is where the police just try to be more part of the community. They make friends with a lot of people on their patrol, they're extremely polite when not handling criminals. They go to church in their uniforms, take their car home, have a visible and friendly presence in community gatherings.

I'm not really sure how to get them to do more than just give community policing lip service
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 11:10:36 PM
blacks and Hispanics do 98% if the crime in NYC and many of their neighborhoods are filled with crime.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2015 2:10:35 AM

My reaction to this is similar, although I also am amused at those white people who think that the state is especially concerned with what they do.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 3:24:10 AM
At 10/31/2015 11:10:36 PM, Dilara wrote:
blacks and Hispanics do 98% if the crime in NYC and many of their neighborhoods are filled with crime.

Not even close.
http://www.nyc.gov...
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 3:35:35 AM
At 10/31/2015 9:56:44 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 10/31/2015 6:20:34 PM, TBR wrote:

So the argument would be most of the people initially stopped are more likely to be guilty, as more people are stopped that likelihood drops, hence the lower percentage?

This still suggests that the excessive detention of black people is unwarranted.

Plus if you read the article a major argument is that any confrontation with the police (i.e. a traffic stop) is an opportunity to be charged with SOMETHING and is a flashpoint for violence.

If you have twice as many stops resulting in 75% as many contraband infractions, you are arresting 50% more black people than white people despite a lower rate of infraction.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that white people are far more likely to be pulled over and let off without any citation.

It's just layers of statistics that show how interactions with the justice system are contingent on race.

I think you are misreading my post. I am saying that the number is solid. Minorities are detained over often than white. If the split is a normal distribution as I would guess, then when accounting for the larger number of minority's stopped - the number of incidents with contraband would drop.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 6:32:27 PM

Really?
My takeaway from this is special pleading, slanted information, and tainted logic is rampant on this subject. For example, consented searches and contraband.

I really didn't like the way the article was written, nor do I like the fact that so few stats were given. Do you have any raw data on the matter?

I wonder, how much affect does a racist police officer have on the overall stats?
The article mentioned that the disparity went down after two cops were let go who were targeting blacks. Other factors were present, too. But, I wonder, if the disparity attributed to racism is actually due to a racist minority among the police force.

Other factors I'd like to be noted are:
What are the level of demographics at different times of day? is there disproportionate amount of drivers of one race on the streets at night?
What level of white drivers have the regulatory infractions that lead to being pulled over (e.g. expired registration)? If this is disparate, then it follows that traffic stops are disparate.

I think the thing that I am getting most upset about race issues with police is that it is the police, and the police deserve special consideration due to their job requirements. Are the police reacting to disparities or proactively creating them?
My work here is, finally, done.