Jump to topic:

Fetus Killing: Abortion v. Manslaughter

moshjanis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 11:51:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This was a news story I read while I was working at a news/talk radio station, and has been on my mind for 7 years... Please consider the post before you comment with talking points. I've heard the talking points, I want to know your actual thoughts. In Tucson AZ, 2008, a man was convicted of manslaughter for injuring a pregnant woman and killing her fetus in a car accident. I believe she was at 35 weeks, not positive on that detail. That same pregnant woman, could have been on her way to have a legal abortion. This seems like an unjust double standard. Why is it manslaughter for someone else to kill a fetus, and the original charge was murder 2, but it is totally legal for a mother to kill a fetus? Manslaughter and murder charges both require the view that a fetus is a live human being who has been killed. I don't mean this as a "gotcha!", I'm genuinely curious how others understand this differently. And, if a fetus is not a human being, wouldn't/shouldn't it only be an assault charge to kill a pregnant woman's unborn fetus? The idea is that you're only really hurting one human, right, the mother?
If you agree with me, that's great. But I really want to hear from opposing views. Thoughts?

http://tucson.com...
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 12:43:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/3/2015 11:51:09 PM, moshjanis wrote:
This was a news story I read while I was working at a news/talk radio station, and has been on my mind for 7 years... Please consider the post before you comment with talking points. I've heard the talking points, I want to know your actual thoughts. In Tucson AZ, 2008, a man was convicted of manslaughter for injuring a pregnant woman and killing her fetus in a car accident. I believe she was at 35 weeks, not positive on that detail. That same pregnant woman, could have been on her way to have a legal abortion. This seems like an unjust double standard. Why is it manslaughter for someone else to kill a fetus, and the original charge was murder 2, but it is totally legal for a mother to kill a fetus? Manslaughter and murder charges both require the view that a fetus is a live human being who has been killed. I don't mean this as a "gotcha!", I'm genuinely curious how others understand this differently. And, if a fetus is not a human being, wouldn't/shouldn't it only be an assault charge to kill a pregnant woman's unborn fetus? The idea is that you're only really hurting one human, right, the mother?
If you agree with me, that's great. But I really want to hear from opposing views. Thoughts?

http://tucson.com...

This charge deals with a 35 week old fetus, abortions at 35 weeks are not almost unheard of, and in many cases are illegal. Countless other cases show that when a fetus is killed at a time when the woman could legally get an abortion, the perpetrator is not charged with the killing of the fetus. These laws will also vary by state, so some states will charge you for killing a fetus at a certain point while others wont.