Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is This What Our Government is Coming To?

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 5:58:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Seems like at least one former politician believes that Jesus is coming pretty soon. Lots of the current crop of presidential candidates are of the same religion so my question is, do they believe this to be true as well and, if so, how does this affect their policies on everything from defense to environmental care?

http://www.msn.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 6:53:35 PM
At 11/9/2015 5:58:02 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seems like at least one former politician believes that Jesus is coming pretty soon. Lots of the current crop of presidential candidates are of the same religion so my question is, do they believe this to be true as well and, if so, how does this affect their policies on everything from defense to environmental care?

It is terrifying. Truly.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 7:07:39 PM
It's only Bachmann. We already knew she was batshit.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 7:51:42 PM
At 11/9/2015 7:07:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Have you listened to Ben Carson? Evolution is a tool of the Devil and the Pyramids were built by Daniel as grain storage. He's about as 'crazy' as she is if you pay attention. Every republican with the possible exception of Donald Trump and most of the Democrats claim to be members of this sect that keep looking forward to the end of the world. It's more than a little frightening.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 8:08:32 PM
At 11/9/2015 7:51:42 PM, dhardage wrote:

Have you listened to Ben Carson? Evolution is a tool of the Devil and the Pyramids were built by Daniel as grain storage. He's about as 'crazy' as she is if you pay attention. Every republican with the possible exception of Donald Trump and most of the Democrats claim to be members of this sect that keep looking forward to the end of the world. It's more than a little frightening.

I have ranted about this enough before, but... This is no longer candidates simply saying they are religious, they MUST pass a test with a tiny fraction of Christians to be considered for the top job. This is insane at this point.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 8:13:54 PM
At 11/9/2015 7:51:42 PM, dhardage wrote:

I don't think Kasich, Rubio, Christie, and Bush are in that camp.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 8:26:50 PM

Jeb Bush: Asked in 2005 whether he accepted evolution, Bush affirmed that he did " but that it shouldn"t be taught in schools. "Yeah, but I don"t think it should actually be part of the curriculum, to be honest with you,"

Chris Christie: Does Christie affirm evolutionary science? "That"s none of your business,"

Marco Rubio: Asked the earth"s age in 2012, Rubio replied, "I"m not a scientist, man."

They may accept evolution (say), but dance around it for the base they want so bad. Why is it so hard for a republican to stand-up and say, I believe in the best science available to us, and leave it with that? They can believe in a god, fine, but this is nuts at this point.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 8:33:07 PM
At 11/9/2015 8:26:50 PM, TBR wrote:

Jeb Bush: Asked in 2005 whether he accepted evolution, Bush affirmed that he did " but that it shouldn"t be taught in schools. "Yeah, but I don"t think it should actually be part of the curriculum, to be honest with you,"

Chris Christie: Does Christie affirm evolutionary science? "That"s none of your business,"

Marco Rubio: Asked the earth"s age in 2012, Rubio replied, "I"m not a scientist, man."

They may accept evolution (say), but dance around it for the base they want so bad. Why is it so hard for a republican to stand-up and say, I believe in the best science available to us, and leave it with that? They can believe in a god, fine, but this is nuts at this point.

And there's the rub. Even if they do accept the science, they won't admit it for fear of alienating the hard-core, anti-science religious types that have hijacked their party. It's really a shame that a party that's supposed to stand for responsibility and accountability has to kowtow to the religious zealots in their midst.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 10:09:41 PM

I'm actually fine with Christie's answer. It kind of tells me his personal belief in god won't come out on certain issues like they do for many politicians. I mean, he even said he doesn't believe in all of his church's teachings.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 10:28:18 PM
At 11/9/2015 10:09:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'm actually fine with Christie's answer. It kind of tells me his personal belief in god won't come out on certain issues like they do for many politicians. I mean, he even said he doesn't believe in all of his church's teachings.

Out of them all, sure, his is the best answer
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:00:36 AM

Lol, saying "I believe in evolution but don't think our schools should be teaching that," is a far cry from "Jesus is coming any day now!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:04:35 AM
"Jesus is coming soon" is not a statement which should invite an iota of scorn or ridicule. Believing this should do nothing towards disqualifying a person for the Presidency or any other public office or reducing one's chances of winning an election. This thread is ridiculous and the OP should feel ridiculous.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:38:49 AM
At 11/10/2015 1:04:35 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
"Jesus is coming soon" is not a statement which should invite an iota of scorn or ridicule. Believing this should do nothing towards disqualifying a person for the Presidency or any other public office or reducing one's chances of winning an election. This thread is ridiculous and the OP should feel ridiculous.

I really don't see the issue considering she's a former representative. If she were still in congress I would find it to be an issue because I don't think people who believe that the end times are near will make good decisions involving the future. Since she is no longer in politics, who cares? Why is believing that we are in the end times such an absurd belief? It's not something I agree with and I found it kind of stupid but not really enough to elicit such a response

I also saw people get offended when she said that we should try to convert the Jews. I realize that we are in a post Christian society, but how is it in any way surprising when a Christian says she wants to convert people?

Most of what she said was pretty dumb, but just the kind of thing to roll your eyes at. The whole media blow up regarding this story is just a way for the left to intellectually masturbate about how enlightened they are. Your rational world is a circle jerk, people.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:45:51 AM
At 11/10/2015 1:38:49 AM, thett3 wrote:

I really don't see the issue considering she's a former representative. If she were still in congress I would find it to be an issue because I don't think people who believe that the end times are near will make good decisions involving the future. Since she is no longer in politics, who cares? Why is believing that we are in the end times such an absurd belief? It's not something I agree with and I found it kind of stupid but not really enough to elicit such a response

I also saw people get offended when she said that we should try to convert the Jews. I realize that we are in a post Christian society, but how is it in any way surprising when a Christian says she wants to convert people?

Most of what she said was pretty dumb, but just the kind of thing to roll your eyes at. The whole media blow up regarding this story is just a way for the left to intellectually masturbate about how enlightened they are. Your rational world is a circle jerk, people.

I fail to see how believing that the end is near would cause someone to make poor decisions. Elaborate.

The DDO Blog:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:51:05 AM
At 11/10/2015 1:45:51 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I fail to see how believing that the end is near would cause someone to make poor decisions. Elaborate.

In accounting, there's a concept called the "Going concern assumption". This means that financial actors in the company should always behave as if the business will continue on into the foreseeable future. This is because if they don't operate under that assumption, their decision making will be effected in a way where they prioritize short term gains over what benefits the company long term. A person who thinks that the end of the world is upon us is going to prioritize short term benefits over what's good in the long term...although that really wouldn't be too much different from how congress behaves anyway.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:58:03 AM
At 11/10/2015 1:51:05 AM, thett3 wrote:

In accounting, there's a concept called the "Going concern assumption". This means that financial actors in the company should always behave as if the business will continue on into the foreseeable future. This is because if they don't operate under that assumption, their decision making will be effected in a way where they prioritize short term gains over what benefits the company long term. A person who thinks that the end of the world is upon us is going to prioritize short term benefits over what's good in the long term...although that really wouldn't be too much different from how congress behaves anyway.

Theorizing about the End Times is generally connected with certain major international events (I.E. the establishment of the World Government). This is generally perceived to be an ultra-Liberal entity which shuns freedom of religion and persecutes Christianity. Also, the United States as an independent and powerful nation is not generally perceived to be still in existence when the End Times come.
As a result, Evangelicals may commonly believe that the End Times can be delayed by stuff such as keeping the United States powerful, maintaining its sovereignty, and setting a precedent of freedom of religion. If anything, a desire to delay the End Times as long as possible would be the influential factor here.

The DDO Blog:

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:59:11 AM

Wait a christian thinks that Jesus is coming "soon" ? quick put this on the front page of every news paper every where !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 2:28:29 PM

Well, I don't, because the thought that Jesus is coming any day now can lead to apocalyptic thinking and planning that doesn't go beyond this generation. A president, heck, any government official, is just a steward for the population present and future and if they don't believe there is to be a future, they cannot do their job properly.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 2:55:54 PM
At 11/10/2015 1:58:03 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Theorizing about the End Times is generally connected with certain major international events (I.E. the establishment of the World Government). This is generally perceived to be an ultra-Liberal entity which shuns freedom of religion and persecutes Christianity. Also, the United States as an independent and powerful nation is not generally perceived to be still in existence when the End Times come.
As a result, Evangelicals may commonly believe that the End Times can be delayed by stuff such as keeping the United States powerful, maintaining its sovereignty, and setting a precedent of freedom of religion. If anything, a desire to delay the End Times as long as possible would be the influential factor here.

Wow. So you are saying the USA (conservative really) are preventing the end of days?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:00:00 PM
At 11/10/2015 2:55:54 PM, TBR wrote:

Wow. So you are saying the USA (conservative really) are preventing the end of days?

That's part of what the actions of many politicians are working towards. I don't know how successful they're being.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:06:09 PM
At 11/10/2015 3:00:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That's part of what the actions of many politicians are working towards. I don't know how successful they're being.

That doesn't sound very Christian. It that is really the way they are thinking, it gives me even more reason to call them crazy.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:11:20 PM
At 11/10/2015 3:06:09 PM, TBR wrote:
At 11/10/2015 3:00:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That doesn't sound very Christian. It that is really the way they are thinking, it gives me even more reason to call them crazy.

Okay, that retarded "that's not very Christian of you" insult has been used to death and in this usage it doesn't even seem to make sense. Preventing the coming of Hell on Earth is unchristian?

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:24:35 PM
Okay, that retarded "that's not very Christian of you" insult has been used to death and in this usage it doesn't even seem to make sense. Preventing the coming of Hell on Earth is unchristian?

It does not sound Christian because best I understand it, it has nothing to do with our timetable. Can you find me a verse that says if we are not wicked (or whatever) he will wait?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:41:25 PM

If it makes you feel any better, most just pretend to be Christian so that they're remain electable.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:46:55 PM

So he accepts evolution?

It really is. It has nothing to do with policy creation, an is just an attempt to have him answer in a way that hurts the Christian vote, he's receiving

Even scientists don't really know the answer to that question. Giving a definitive answer isn't intellectually honest, but he did defer to the scientific community on the answer and not any religious texts

It's stupid, and Democrats really don't get those types of questions. The voters don't need to know those answers. You can't sit there and claim Bill Clinton's sex life is nobodies business, while also arguing that these people's views on evolution (which have nothing to do with policy creation) are everybody's business
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:50:07 PM
It's stupid, and Democrats really don't get those types of questions. The voters don't need to know those answers. You can't sit there and claim Bill Clinton's sex life is nobodies business, while also arguing that these people's views on evolution (which have nothing to do with policy creation) are everybody's business

Democrats get other stupid questions, and yea it matters. The president (and fed political) has a great deal of control over funding of scientific research. A hand in national education. This is not trivial.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:51:10 PM
At 11/10/2015 2:28:29 PM, dhardage wrote:

Well, I don't, because the thought that Jesus is coming any day now can lead to apocalyptic thinking and planning that doesn't go beyond this generation. A president, heck, any government official, is just a steward for the population present and future and if they don't believe there is to be a future, they cannot do their job properly.

How is it any different from any other type of alarmism that they all engage in. Why does it matter why they think the world will end in ten years, be it Jesus, global warming, terrorism or economic collapse?

They think the end is near and all make policies that have a good short term outcome, but bad long term outcome.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:54:32 PM
At 11/10/2015 3:50:07 PM, TBR wrote:

Democrats get other stupid questions, and yea it matters. The president (and fed political) has a great deal of control over funding of scientific research. A hand in national education. This is not trivial.

They should have zero funding towards it, but that's not the point. Even if you believe that research should be funded, there isn't any value in the government pursuing research into evolution. I'd rather see that money diverted to finding cures for heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's anyway
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 3:58:50 PM
They should have zero funding towards it,
That is crazy to me. Yea, it is very importation to fund basic science. Its a better investment than the military.

You blew by the education par too.