Jump to topic:

Let's be honest

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:13:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
DDO has been taken over by some seriously far-left liberals. I realize that the demographics show that there are more Conservatives than there are liberals but that fact is completely irrelevant because the most vocal users on DDO are far-left liberals. It's no longer "Debate.org", now it's "Agree with Me or Be Ridiculed.org".
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:18:51 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:13:18 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
DDO has been taken over by some seriously far-left liberals. I realize that the demographics show that there are more Conservatives than there are liberals but that fact is completely irrelevant because the most vocal users on DDO are far-left liberals. It's no longer "Debate.org", now it's "Agree with Me or Be Ridiculed.org".

I don't think that's true. TN05, Thett3, Lannan, Wylted, Shab, DK, Philocat, Ober, 16k, Skep, Roy, etc. are all prominent conservatives or libertarians that are fairly active.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:22:07 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:18:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't think that's true. TN05, Thett3, Lannan, Wylted, Shab, DK, Philocat, Ober, 16k, Skep, Roy, etc. are all prominent conservatives or libertarians that are fairly active.

Yo! ColeTrain?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:24:00 PM

On balance, I think you're right; though your interpretation is a little skewed. I'd say the percentages of active users would probably be split something like this: 70% left, 25% right, and 3% other, and 2% very radical/extremists
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:24:09 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:22:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:24:42 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:24:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

Haha, it's fine. Most people don't like me anyways.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:29:00 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:24:42 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

I don't know why they would dislike you. You seem pretty friendly.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:38:00 PM
The non-American/American ratio is the most depressing thing about the site. Americans are cowards, pretend know-it-alls, stubborn depression-inducing maniacs, but we still manage to keep a fine atmosphere once in a while. Imagine if the ratio was improved.

So, you can complain about the liberal/conservative issue, but know that it's nothing compared to what I mentioned. :)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:38:20 PM
So basically DDO's starting to reflect America in general...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:42:14 PM

Well, since I think you are including me in this group, I think it is only right for me to post.

What you are saying is, "Agree with Me or Be Ridiculed.org" is not DDO, no. The OLD way when Conservatives ever everywhere, and no one dare question the authority, that's the way it should be.

How about this. Look outside your door. There are more liberals in the country than conservatives. Reality bites.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:42:23 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:38:20 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You're generally intelligent, at least too much so to say nonsense like this. Conservatives in America still outnumber liberals. Liberals are just finally starting to catch up.

http://www.gallup.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:46:04 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:42:14 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, since I think you are including me in this group, I think it is only right for me to post.

What you are saying is, "Agree with Me or Be Ridiculed.org" is not DDO, no. The OLD way when Conservatives ever everywhere, and no one dare question the authority, that's the way it should be.

How about this. Look outside your door. There are more liberals in the country than conservatives. Reality bites.

As I just explained to Vox, this is false.
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:50:42 PM

Supporting gay marriage isn't "seriously far-left". It's just objectively correct.

And completely obliterating your case against gay marriage =\= ridicule.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:51:12 PM

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

Do you want a best DDO friend? Varrack left. :P
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:55:32 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:29:00 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

I try to be. I think it's mainly my views. :/
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:00:16 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:42:23 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

You're generally intelligent, at least too much so to say nonsense like this. Conservatives in America still outnumber liberals. Liberals are just finally starting to catch up.

I don't disagree with this poll. Self-identifying as conservative over liberal. Democrats outnumber Republicans, on the issues, the majority support liberal positions. Point is, what people self-identify as vs what they are.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:02:04 PM
I think it's pretty balanced.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:11:32 PM
At 11/10/2015 7:02:04 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think it's pretty balanced.

Honestly, I do too. The polls run a little more liberal, forum a bit more conservative.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:11:35 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:51:12 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

Do you want a best DDO friend? Varrack left. :P

Lol, sure. :)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:11:42 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:55:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 11/10/2015 6:29:00 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yo! ColeTrain?

Lol...Sorry...

I try to be. I think it's mainly my views. :/

You seem fine to me. I certainly don't have any problems with you.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:14:59 PM

This may apply to stuff like gun control, capitalism, and even abortion and foreign policy. But then there are certain fairly prominent aspects of Conservatism that are mocked and scorned by virtually everyone (the majority of the population) who doesn't hold to those things.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:26:13 PM
At 11/10/2015 7:14:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

This may apply to stuff like gun control, capitalism, and even abortion and foreign policy. But then there are certain fairly prominent aspects of Conservatism that are mocked and scorned by virtually everyone (the majority of the population) who doesn't hold to those things.

What, exactly? About 70% of the U.S. identifies as Christian, so it can't be religion. Though any group seriously advocating theocracy deserves to be mocked. Immigration? Building a fence is dumb, factually so, but outside of that, a lot of people agree with conservative stances there.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:27:45 PM

Ah, the predictable and tedious whine of the persecution complex.

On certain occasions, I have found myself debating 2-4 people at the same time. Now, did I cry, "Oh, cruel fate! I am being unjustly persecuted by superior numbers of persecutors!" Or did I think, "Hey, I'm holding my own, if not holding the upper hand against multiple disagreements!" Hint: it was the latter.

I have also been on a site where everyone was left wing. The funny thing there is that I found myself arguing vehemently against people much further to the left than myself. There are always differences to debate, even with similar worldviews-- further reason not to whine about the fact, especially on a debate site.

As for ridicule, that is sometimes the resort of people with a weak position. In that case, show how that is the case via your superior argument. BUT sometimes people with strong positions resort to ridicule because the other's position is so absurd and weak yet obstinate that there is not much else left to do. Is that "right"? Maybe not. Is it entertaining? Heck yes.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:48:23 PM
We have a small anarchist community that is mostly active in the polls. We have a lot of loud and intellectual communists, but they are often overlooked. CharlesB and Chimera for example.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 8:07:06 PM

I don't really feel like my beliefs are ridiculed. I also think if you're relatively good at defending socially conservative positions, you wouldn't feel that way either.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 8:14:53 PM

All people you single handed my gang up on, on a regular basis! Please stop bullying me!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 8:16:52 PM
At 11/10/2015 8:14:53 PM, Wylted wrote:

All people you single handed my gang up on, on a regular basis! Please stop bullying me!

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 9:54:51 PM

Most of the right leaning members are right wing libertarians, so while they are conservative economically, they will be pretty liberal when it comes to social issues. As far as being ridiculed, I can't say what's been going on for you, but usually when people are presented with an immovable object, that just repeats the same thing over and over, it is understood that they are not actually engaging in debate, so they are mocked.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"