Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

David Cameron and EU negotiations

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:48:41 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
David Cameron is in the process of negotiating with the European union to try and get a better deal out of the Eu for UK citizens. He has set out 4 key aims.

Protection of the single market for Britain and other non Euro countries.

Boosting competiveness by setting a target for the reduction of the burden of red tape.

Exempting Britain from even closer union with the Eu and bolstering national parliaments.

Restricting Eu migrants from obtaining in work benefits such as tax credits.

I agree all four are positive things for the uk and would give it a better more secure future within the Eu then it currently faces but the glaring omission from the goals is the one most wanted by many UK citizens- the ability to control immigration from within the Eu. I know it's a fundamental eu principal to allow for free movement of people, but in my view national governments should be able to decide their immigration policies not Brussels. I believe treaty change is necessary to achieve this aim and as Cameron is a realist he knows that's never going to happen so he has set realistic goals he thinks he can achieve rather than overly ambitious goals he knows are unatanable. I don't blame him for this at all. He wants to stay in the Eu so does not want to look like he has failed in the negotiation process. However to me it seems necessary to make all laws regarding Britain's future in Westminster not Brussels. Things like lack of control on immigration, Brussels beurocrats making laws that our government is powerless to prevent, the final call in the judiciary system resting on a utopian not British court and the atrocious waste of money spent just to be a member of the Eu means currently I am thinking of voting for leaving the Eu in the referendum.

Opinions/ thoughts?