Jump to topic:

Understanding Terrorism

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 6:45:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Islamic Terrorism outside of the Islamic part of the world feel entitled to those same privileges in these non-Islamic nations as they enjoyed in their native lands (i.e. no criticism of Islam, their culture and religion being dominant and permeating every aspect of society, behavior which they perceive to be grave sinful not tolerated, Islamic law is the law here, etc). They also feel entitled to the right to live wherever they want. What they don't realize is that the non-Islamic inhabitants of the Middle East are treated far worse than the Muslim citizens of Europe and the United States are and that massive immigration from the West to the Middle East would not be tolerated. Them striving for those certain things is, therefore, unfair.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 6:51:46 PM
Basically if you (this isn't directed towards UtherPenguin) want to create a large region where your religion and culture is dominant and outsiders are expected to follow your rules that's fine, but you have no right to complain if somebody else does the same thing.

The DDO Blog:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:06:10 PM
At 11/14/2015 6:45:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Islamic Terrorism outside of the Islamic part of the world feel entitled to those same privileges in these non-Islamic nations as they enjoyed in their native lands (i.e. no criticism of Islam, their culture and religion being dominant and permeating every aspect of society, behavior which they perceive to be grave sinful not tolerated, Islamic law is the law here, etc). They also feel entitled to the right to live wherever they want. What they don't realize is that the non-Islamic inhabitants of the Middle East are treated far worse than the Muslim citizens of Europe and the United States are and that massive immigration from the West to the Middle East would not be tolerated. Them striving for those certain things is, therefore, unfair.

Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Morroco, Tunisia, all muslim-majority countries in the Middle East with a sizeable non-Muslim population, yet they co-exist peacefully with the Muslims. In fact, Iran has a long history with it's Christian demographic: https://en.wikipedia.org...

Most Muslim countries do co-exist with non-muslims quite peacefully. And that's only the Middle East, I didn't mention Indonesia's significant Hindu demographic.

Muslims are also quite well integrated into numerous non-Muslim countries, Britain for example (http://www.theguardian.com...)

The idea that Muslims are tying to assert their religion on everyone else, or that they're unwilling to integrate, is mostly a stereotype, an irritating one at that.

I don't see Muslims protesting the gay marriage law in the US, even though that's an unislamic law. What I do see Muslims protesting is not being allowed to wear the Hijab in schools in Quebec, being forced to eat pork in schools in France, and not being allowed to wear a Niqab in France despite the promise of religious freedom.

I don't see why the few, ultra-conservative Muslims are treated as though they represent majority of Muslim immigrants. Perpetuating this stereotype only encourages isolation and further ultra-conservatism.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:02:15 PM
Just saying: reports are released annually of the top 10 nations which have the worst human rights record for Christians. North Korea and perhaps China are generally the only non-Muslim countries to make the list.

The DDO Blog:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:05:31 PM
At 11/14/2015 8:02:15 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Just saying: reports are released annually of the top 10 nations which have the worst human rights record for Christians. North Korea and perhaps China are generally the only non-Muslim countries to make the list.

That leaves 8 countries out of the 40 countries in the Muslim world.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:43:38 PM

Also the correlation does not imply the cause.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:47:28 PM
At 11/14/2015 8:43:38 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Asking honestly. What exactly do you like about Islam? Why are you one? Your parents? Your culture? Just why?
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:50:56 PM
At 11/14/2015 10:47:28 PM, TBR wrote:
At 11/14/2015 8:43:38 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Asking honestly. What exactly do you like about Islam? Why are you one? Your parents? Your culture? Just why?

Multiple reasons. I was an agnostic for quite a while before returning to Islam (at one point being borderline atheist), so my position was not wholly based on my background. I could make a thread on the topic of why I returned to Islam, including the reasons why I had doubts in the first place.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 6:46:07 PM
At 11/14/2015 6:31:39 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
http://youtube.com...

Opinions? Do you find this video accurate?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 6:51:14 PM
I see ISIS proves Islamic prophecies of near-end chaos. They say they're reformers but they're not.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~