Jump to topic:

How should France respond to terrorist attack

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:46:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The second major attack in France this year by Islamic extremists and the worst terrorist attack in Europe in 10 years is undoubtedly a worrying event that will lead to much debate about the approach to terrorism prevention in France and other western countries. It's arguable what actually provoked the latest attackers but the most likely explanation is a combination of French citizens inspired by Islamic state propaganda and frustrated by Frances military action in Syria and the Islamic state terrorist group. It's also possible some IS militants came to France pretending to be war refugees from Syria.

If I was Francois Hollande I would take the following steps.

1. Increase spending on counter terrorism.

2. Increase police powers for dealing with terror suspects.

3. Increase the amount of help available for people at risk of radicalisation.

4. Deport all illegal immigrants.

5. Pull out of the military action in the middle east against ISIS.

6. Push for the return of the Assad dictatorship in Syria to quell ISIS.

7. Encourage Russia and the USA to come to a joint military strategy to emininate ISIS and end the civil war reinstating their respective allies in each country.

8. Encourage the EU to take a stronger approach to defending its borders and stop all migration.

Thoughts and opinions?
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:50:20 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:46:59 PM, beng100 wrote:
The second major attack in France this year by Islamic extremists and the worst terrorist attack in Europe in 10 years is undoubtedly a worrying event that will lead to much debate about the approach to terrorism prevention in France and other western countries. It's arguable what actually provoked the latest attackers but the most likely explanation is a combination of French citizens inspired by Islamic state propaganda and frustrated by Frances military action in Syria and the Islamic state terrorist group. It's also possible some IS militants came to France pretending to be war refugees from Syria.

7. Encourage Russia and the USA to come to a joint military strategy to emininate ISIS and end the civil war reinstating their respective allies in each country.

8. Encourage the EU to take a stronger approach to defending its borders and stop all migration.

Thoughts and opinions?

Deportation would only encourage radicalization.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:50:48 PM

Thoughts and opinions?

Pretty much agreed. I just dont know about point 6. That's obviously a short/mid term solution.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:52:00 PM

Ill take
4. Scratch
6. Indifferent
7. HE!! NO
8. Scratch

We do this again and again thinking it will improve THIS time. Leave these nutbags alone. Police (protect) internal to our countries. Islam sucks, no doubt. The idea of ISIS gaining ground, not great. Just not our business. Messing with them has made our and their lives measurably worse. Leave them the he11 alone. Put the Trump wall up to keep them IN, I don't care. Just not one more bomb, drone, boot on the damn ground. I don't care about that sh1thole. Let them rot.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:56:07 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:50:20 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

How do you assuage cultural conflict when masses of immigrants flood the country? You do realize that 10% of France is Muslim. They are the most welcoming and liberal of all the Euro countries, but they still get @sshats who wave, for example, Algerian flags over the French flag. There needs to be a solid plan on immigration.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 7:59:11 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:56:07 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

How do you assuage cultural conflict when masses of immigrants flood the country? You do realize that 10% of France is Muslim. They are the most welcoming and liberal of all the Euro countries, but they still get @sshats who wave, for example, Algerian flags over the French flag. There needs to be a solid plan on immigration.

But hm, I will submit just DEPORTING everyone is outlandish. Reminds me of Trump and his problem with Mexicans lol.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:01:22 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:56:07 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

They have nowhere else to go, to Deport them would only put them in the hands of ISIS. And I have no doubt ISIS have little trouble exploiting desperate people.

Also, Algeria was once a French colony. They have fairly good relations.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Disappearinghead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:15:56 PM

They are probably spending a suitable amount already.

I suspect they are already pretty robust

Not sure what this actually means in practice

Absolutely. If they are in France they are economic migrants looking for a free lunch not refugees. Refugees are safe from harm in Turkey and once they decide safety is not enough for them and want to come to an EU country of their choosing they become migrants.

Nope they should instead step up the military action.

The Law of unintended consequences at play here. Like Libya, Egypt and Iraq, when you get rid of a tyrant that kept the radical nutters in check you have a power vacuum that sucks murderous Islamists out of from under the rocks.

Yes send in the cruise missiles heavy bombers and level them. Then send in the troops and hunt ISIS down wherever they can be found. There's no taking to these people and the world will be better with them wiped out.

The EU needs occupations filled where there are certain professional or labour shortages. If migrants can fulfil these rules grant them visa entry. All others, no.

Thoughts and opinions?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:17:41 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:50:48 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

Pretty much agreed. I just dont know about point 6. That's obviously a short/mid term solution.

Yes its obviously far from ideal to have assad ruling syria but with putin supporting him it is unrealistic any credible opposition will form in syria to create a democratic government. What is essential is stopping the civil war, the deaths, the refugee crisis and eliminating islamic state while preventing further terrorism and avoiding dangerous conflict with russia while insuring the 10 years of military presence in Iraq does not go down as the next Vietnam. Assad is the only solution for peace in my view. Yes he will likely oppress some opponents following the end of the war but the death toll will surely be lower than the continuation of the civil war.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:21:17 PM
At 11/14/2015 7:52:00 PM, TBR wrote:

Ill take
4. Scratch
6. Indifferent
7. HE!! NO
8. Scratch

We do this again and again thinking it will improve THIS time. Leave these nutbags alone. Police (protect) internal to our countries. Islam sucks, no doubt. The idea of ISIS gaining ground, not great. Just not our business. Messing with them has made our and their lives measurably worse. Leave them the he11 alone. Put the Trump wall up to keep them IN, I don't care. Just not one more bomb, drone, boot on the damn ground. I don't care about that sh1thole. Let them rot.

I am generally opposed to military intervention and believe the invasion of iraq was wrong. However after wasting millions of pounds and thousands of lives it seems silly to let terrorists take control. I think a collaboration with russia is the best situation. The us deals with Iraq, Russia with Syria, reinstate respective allies and leave in 1-6 months. Isis is too evil and barbaric to be allowed to exist as a De facto nation.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:28:34 PM
At 11/14/2015 8:15:56 PM, Disappearinghead wrote:

They are probably spending a suitable amount already.

I suspect they are already pretty robust

Not sure what this actually means in practice

Absolutely. If they are in France they are economic migrants looking for a free lunch not refugees. Refugees are safe from harm in Turkey and once they decide safety is not enough for them and want to come to an EU country of their choosing they become migrants.

Nope they should instead step up the military action.

The Law of unintended consequences at play here. Like Libya, Egypt and Iraq, when you get rid of a tyrant that kept the radical nutters in check you have a power vacuum that sucks murderous Islamists out of from under the rocks.

Yes send in the cruise missiles heavy bombers and level them. Then send in the troops and hunt ISIS down wherever they can be found. There's no taking to these people and the world will be better with them wiped out.

The EU needs occupations filled where there are certain professional or labour shortages. If migrants can fulfil these rules grant them visa entry. All others, no.

Thoughts and opinions?

Just to clarify-support for people vulnerable to radicalisation would mean extensive coinciding, psychotherapy, education and breaking links with the people or websites instilling the radicalisation upon them. In some cases the person may need to be detained if they are deemed to be already radicalized and a danger to society.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:47:59 PM
Most likely France will increase their military actions against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, most notably increased airstrikes. Doing nothing shows weakness (both for France as a whole and the current administration in particular) and removing support for military action only encourages ISIS to continue doing these kind of attacks against other western nations. If he wants, President Hollande could pull an Article 5 similar to the what the US did after 9/11 in Afghanistan. I doubt Hollande would do it, but the possibility does exist.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:07:43 PM

Thoughts and opinions?

If Europe becomes an armed camp then the terrorists win. The west needs to get together with hopefully some Muslim countries. The Saudis need to be dragged into this kicking and screaming if necessary. This coalition must absolutely annihilate isis. Send them into oblivion. it can be done. We have the military power to do it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:08:24 PM
At 11/14/2015 8:21:17 PM, beng100 wrote:

Ill take
4. Scratch
6. Indifferent
7. HE!! NO
8. Scratch

I am generally opposed to military intervention and believe the invasion of iraq was wrong. However after wasting millions of pounds and thousands of lives it seems silly to let terrorists take control. I think a collaboration with russia is the best situation. The us deals with Iraq, Russia with Syria, reinstate respective allies and leave in 1-6 months. Isis is too evil and barbaric to be allowed to exist as a De facto nation.

I had a long post about the "1-6 months" crap. Not again. As to "can't leave now" been there, done that. Just leave. Do it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:14:58 PM
They have nowhere else to go, to Deport them would only put them in the hands of ISIS. And I have no doubt ISIS have little trouble exploiting desperate people.

I was proud of the level of support we were coming to. Trust that that is all gone. It just is. They may not all get deported, but these people are going to have very few placed to go now, and it sure won't be the US.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:37:50 PM
At 11/14/2015 10:14:58 PM, TBR wrote:

I was proud of the level of support we were coming to. Trust that that is all gone. It just is. They may not all get deported, but these people are going to have very few placed to go now, and it sure won't be the US.

More should come to Canada, We have little problem with immigrants.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:04:30 PM

This one

Thoughts and opinions?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:05:39 PM
At 11/14/2015 8:08:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Do nothing and hope they quit it. Jk, the obvious stuff.

Since it's most likely blowback, they will quit if you do nothing
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:13:36 AM
At 11/14/2015 10:37:50 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 11/14/2015 10:14:58 PM, TBR wrote:

More should come to Canada, We have little problem with immigrants.

That's not what Canada needs; an ever expanding Muslim population. Don't you know that as Muslims reach critical population points, the problems start. It has happened in every European country, why not in Canada? The Saudis pump in billions of dollars to build mosques where they spread their Wahhabi ideology. We should take in a few but not the 25,000 Trudeau wants. Europe has already committed suicide. Canada doesn't have to.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:18:40 AM
At 11/14/2015 10:08:24 PM, TBR wrote:
At 11/14/2015 8:21:17 PM, beng100 wrote:

Ill take
4. Scratch
6. Indifferent
7. HE!! NO
8. Scratch

I had a long post about the "1-6 months" crap. Not again. As to "can't leave now" been there, done that. Just leave. Do it.

So u reckon we should completely pull out and see what happens between Russia, Assad, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the kurds, Israel, Islamic state, the rebels, the Iraqi army, al queda and Hezbollah? I'm not totally discounting it and for America its probably a good call. However in Europe the refugee crisis is a major problem so for us europeans it would be in our interest to end the conflict.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:20:30 AM
At 11/14/2015 9:47:59 PM, 58539672 wrote:
Most likely France will increase their military actions against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, most notably increased airstrikes. Doing nothing shows weakness (both for France as a whole and the current administration in particular) and removing support for military action only encourages ISIS to continue doing these kind of attacks against other western nations. If he wants, President Hollande could pull an Article 5 similar to the what the US did after 9/11 in Afghanistan. I doubt Hollande would do it, but the possibility does exist.

To be fair that's probably correct. Isis need eliminating so Hollande might as well get stuck in now he is already committed.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:23:09 AM
At 11/14/2015 10:07:43 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

If Europe becomes an armed camp then the terrorists win. The west needs to get together with hopefully some Muslim countries. The Saudis need to be dragged into this kicking and screaming if necessary. This coalition must absolutely annihilate isis. Send them into oblivion. it can be done. We have the military power to do it.

The Saudis are never going to do anything. To be fair dragging them in deeper risks conflict with Iran as well. The Saudi regime is ultimately more like Assads regime then a democracy anyway.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:52:33 AM

Thoughts and opinions?

1. Agreed
2. Agreed
3. Certainly
4. That would be incredibly expansive and reduce the number of participants in the French economy, instead, nationalize them, but deport any who refuse to be nationalized.
5. I think France needs to increase it's military involvement, kill ISIS leaders and recruiters, while replacing them with moderate Imams who can help reduce extremism in the region.
6. Hang Assad, or shoot him in an ACP, which ever kills him faster, and install our own puppet, one who will install a democracy once the crisis has passed. Also hang a picture of Assad's corpse in the new guys office so he/she knows what happens to dictators.
7. Agreed
8. That would only trap thousands of refugees with the terrorists they are trying to escape from. Quite frankly, building a wall won't stop the terrorists, they'll just go some place else and kill other people and that money could be better spent taking them out for good.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:14:09 AM
Perhaps they could gather a few thousand Muslims who live in France and offer ISIS a deal They must stop their excessive use of violence. Until this happens Every day that they don't stop they will pick out 10 of these Muslim hostages at random and put them in the Guiltine and behead them.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:18:40 AM
You're saying France should pull out of fighting ISIS but encourage the US and Russia to get more involved in fighting ISIS?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:36:23 AM

Thoughts and opinions?

STOP THE OPEN DOOR POLICY. The open door immigrtaion policy that many European countries have must end, as this is not the first violent crime caused by migrants. One of the attackers was a Syrian "refugee" who came in through Greece. http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:37:55 AM

Ill take
4. Scratch
6. Indifferent
7. HE!! NO
8. Scratch

I actually agree with you. We shouldn't be bombing the he11 out of Syria anymore as it is only making the problem worse. ISIS was created by our intervention in Iraq.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:44:09 AM
At 11/15/2015 3:36:23 AM, Dilara wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

STOP THE OPEN DOOR POLICY. The open door immigrtaion policy that many European countries have must end, as this is not the first violent crime caused by migrants. One of the attackers was a Syrian "refugee" who came in through Greece. http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

http://www.cnn.com...

"--A source close to the investigation told CNN that officials found passports on two of the eight attackers. One of the passports was Syrian, the other Egyptian. The source said, "There is a strong assumption that these passports are fake."

--The Syrian passport belonged to a person who had been processed on the Greek island of Leros, Greek Deputy Minister of Citizen Protection Nikos Toskas said in a statement Saturday. But ministry officials said they are not sure whether the holder of the passport was the person who carried out the attacks. CNN also cannot independently verify that the passport found was authentic or that it belonged to one of the attackers."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 3:45:27 AM
At 11/15/2015 3:44:09 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/15/2015 3:36:23 AM, Dilara wrote:

Thoughts and opinions?

http://www.cnn.com...

"--A source close to the investigation told CNN that officials found passports on two of the eight attackers. One of the passports was Syrian, the other Egyptian. The source said, "There is a strong assumption that these passports are fake."

--The Syrian passport belonged to a person who had been processed on the Greek island of Leros, Greek Deputy Minister of Citizen Protection Nikos Toskas said in a statement Saturday. But ministry officials said they are not sure whether the holder of the passport was the person who carried out the attacks. CNN also cannot independently verify that the passport found was authentic or that it belonged to one of the attackers."
Theres still been many other crimes committed by recent migrants in Europe. http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org...