Jump to topic:

My view on reacting to terrorist attacks

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:57:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When I was reading about the attacks in France last night, I was pretty sure I was the only one who did not advocate for some extreme reaction or none at all.

Muslims are, whether you like it or not, a part of western society. The reactions that it is the fault of liberals is stupid. There's going to be a radical in your country who may do things like this even if you try to keep it all out. They don't even have to be Muslims. It will just happen - just see Timothy McVeigh. Was that a tragedy? Yes. Was it politicized? Not like radical Islam. I mean, we have to be in extremely poor taste to take these attacks and propose our agendas based on them.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, stockpile guns in your house - it doesn't bother me. I mean, fine - your security in your home isn't something I'll step on, even if I disagree with your personalized need. This is a rare event, which may happen when terrorist groups arise. But I don't see the reason to "deport the Muzzies" or especially to point fingers amongst yourselves. This was an outside planned attack. Because a few people among several hundred thousand displaced from their homes were radicalized does not mean we have to resort to infighting. I mean, infighting and hostility to Muslims is exactly what terrorists want.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:00:09 PM
Well said. +1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:00:19 PM
At 11/14/2015 10:57:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
When I was reading about the attacks in France last night, I was pretty sure I was the only one who did not advocate for some extreme reaction or none at all.

Muslims are, whether you like it or not, a part of western society. The reactions that it is the fault of liberals is stupid. There's going to be a radical in your country who may do things like this even if you try to keep it all out. They don't even have to be Muslims. It will just happen - just see Timothy McVeigh. Was that a tragedy? Yes. Was it politicized? Not like radical Islam. I mean, we have to be in extremely poor taste to take these attacks and propose our agendas based on them.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, stockpile guns in your house - it doesn't bother me. I mean, fine - your security in your home isn't something I'll step on, even if I disagree with your personalized need. This is a rare event, which may happen when terrorist groups arise. But I don't see the reason to "deport the Muzzies" or especially to point fingers amongst yourselves. This was an outside planned attack. Because a few people among several hundred thousand displaced from their homes were radicalized does not mean we have to resort to infighting. I mean, infighting and hostility to Muslims is exactly what terrorists want.

I always like to bring up this video when the topic comes up ==>
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:02:33 PM
In France's case, they're extremely tolerant of Muslim extremists, so they definitely need some policy changes to address this. I mean one of these terrorists, were caught a few years ago attempting another attack. There's no way he should have been allowed to live among the general population there.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:05:43 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:02:33 PM, Wylted wrote:
In France's case, they're extremely tolerant of Muslim extremists, so they definitely need some policy changes to address this. I mean one of these terrorists, were caught a few years ago attempting another attack. There's no way he should have been allowed to live among the general population there.

I didn't see that. Was he a French citizen, or was he an immigrant?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:07:57 PM

Yup. Not going to change the reality - the hawks are going to get their war. They fall for this terrorism like Charlie Brown kicking a football.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:08:54 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:05:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'm not sure, I heard it from an interview on CNN on my lunch break. A citizen is more acceptable, but just barely. You think he'd at the very least have his apartment and half his owning a bugged
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:09:53 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:07:57 PM, TBR wrote:

Yup. Not going to change the reality - the hawks are going to get their war. They fall for this terrorism like Charlie Brown kicking a football.

It makes it worse the president was in the stadium and probably will take this personal, and act with fear
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:10:17 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:08:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm not sure, I heard it from an interview on CNN on my lunch break. A citizen is more acceptable, but just barely. You think he'd at the very least have his apartment and half his owning a bugged

I asked Because I saw a headline that said one of the terrorists was a "French national".

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:22:29 PM
It makes it worse the president was in the stadium and probably will take this personal, and act with fear

He is french. Bound to be frightened.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:31:19 PM
The reactions that it is the fault of liberals is stupid.

Oh no it isn't the fault of the liberals at all. If only the terrorists had a liberal around to teach them not to murder everything would've been perfect. And thank God that the liberals disarmed all of the civilians, or else they probably would've taken up arms and joined the terrorists.

And you're right, whether we like it or not Muslims are a part of Western society. I wonder why that is? It's almost as if some group, some political group, decided that virtue signaling was more important than crafting a sane immigration policy, and decided that it's racist to make them assimilate to the native culture...but no, that can't be true. They just appeared by magic, right?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:40:30 PM

If it makes you feel better about yourself, stockpile guns in your house - it doesn't bother me. I mean, fine - your security in your home isn't something I'll step on, even if I disagree with your personalized need. This is a rare event, which may happen when terrorist groups arise.

Frank Brunai wrote an op-ed in today's NYT that more or less advocated the same thing, but his tone and suggestions were problematic.

What happened in France was hugely significant. It's the most substantial terror attack in the West since 9/11, and it's the most barbaric act of violence in France since the second world war.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to respond to that kind of terrorism. There are only responses.

Some have the immediate impulse to jump into policy positions. Some have the impulse to talk about how politically correct they are (explicitly or implicitly, the latter of which is what Brunai did). Some have the impulse to get angry with all the things that could have been done to prevent an attack like this. Some react against the groups to which the perpetrators belonged. They are all responses, and in an emotionally scarring event it is reasonable to expect a broad range of responses.

The suggestion that many have responded to this attack with what appears to be a political agenda is, however, one which we should be skeptical about. Especially since precisely the kinds of politically oriented responses that Brunai was intending to criticize are ones that he disagreed with, which means that in his own way, he was politicizing the crisis as well. So, there's the hypocrisy.

But of course, what Brunai was really trying to do is to advance his own perspective in a way that denigrated those in contrast with his because he was disgusted with how people on the opposite side of the aisle from him were responding to it. Because those people were on the opposite side of the aisle from him he *assumed* that they were doing nothing more than using a political crisis to advance *their particular* political agenda, and not responding in the way that they genuinely believed to be best. This is a very problematic cast to make, when he culpable of the same sin he's complaining about others' engagement in.

But I don't see the reason to "deport the Muzzies" or especially to point fingers amongst yourselves. This was an outside planned attack. Because a few people among several hundred thousand displaced from their homes were radicalized does not mean we have to resort to infighting. I mean, infighting and hostility to Muslims is exactly what terrorists want.:

I also don't see a reason to deport Muslims. However, there is strong evidence to suggest that this attack was, even if planned by people outside of France, executed by French Muslims. It is also very naive to think that the waves of immigrants could not provide a shelter for terrorists, or at least a smoke screen behind which they might hide.

So, we can both be conscious of the risk that mass migration poses, while being sympathetic to the refugees, for example. (In fact, to talk about the refugees as if the situation presented no risk, as I have seen people do on this site today, is exceptionally naive, myopic and more or less stupid. No reasonable person can say that the influx of refugees presents no risk. It would be completely irrational.)
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:40:55 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:31:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

Oh no it isn't the fault of the liberals at all. If only the terrorists had a liberal around to teach them not to murder everything would've been perfect. And thank God that the liberals disarmed all of the civilians, or else they probably would've taken up arms and joined the terrorists.

And you're right, whether we like it or not Muslims are a part of Western society. I wonder why that is? It's almost as if some group, some political group, decided that virtue signaling was more important than crafting a sane immigration policy, and decided that it's racist to make them assimilate to the native culture...but no, that can't be true. They just appeared by magic, right?

I guess you missed the entire purpose of the post. I'll give you a minute to review that.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:43:29 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:40:30 PM, YYW wrote:
So, we can both be conscious of the risk that mass migration poses, while being sympathetic to the refugees, for example. (In fact, to talk about the refugees as if the situation presented no risk, as I have seen people do on this site today, is exceptionally naive, myopic and more or less stupid. No reasonable person can say that the influx of refugees presents no risk. It would be completely irrational.)

Are you, by any chance, referencing me?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:47:34 PM
I should note that I do not think that the refugees pose no threat--that would be naive in the extreme. However, I think that a lot of the fear-mongering around them is blown way out of proportion.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 11:49:37 PM
At 11/14/2015 11:40:55 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 11/14/2015 11:31:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

I guess you missed the entire purpose of the post. I'll give you a minute to review that.

I don't think you got the point of my post. My agenda is only to make sure things like this don't happen. I get no pleasure from the fact that everything I said in my Austrian thread was vindicated.

It's not stupid to blame the naive, multicultural left for this. They are the ones who let these people in. They are the ones who refuse to assimilate muslims for fear of being called racist (seriously, have you ever seen the muslims in the United States doing anything like what happens in Europe every day?). They are the ones who removed from the populace any means of self defense. They are the ones who, when crimes like Rotherham are committed by minorities, allow it to just go on because if you knew about it you may not like diversity so much.

To deny that some of the blood is on the hands of the left is to spit in the face of the victims.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:02:19 AM
I feel like the mythic Cassandra here. Doomed to predict the future and never be believed, to just be thought insane...it's infuriating
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:07:01 AM
At 11/15/2015 12:02:19 AM, thett3 wrote:
I feel like the mythic Cassandra here. Doomed to predict the future and never be believed, to just be thought insane...it's infuriating

Not really your ranting based on a caricature.

The so called "left" believe in among other things those enlightenment values, indiscriminately killing people based on a world view of supernatural beings who want you to kill................yeah that's kind of the opposite of what they all about.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:34:01 AM

Yes the guy arrested 8 times by police but never jailed by police was a French citizen 29 years old born in Paris. The guy was known to be radicalized since 2010 but the police didn't consider him a serious threat and let him slip through their fingers. 2 of the other terrorists were found with a syrian and egyptian passport. another terrorist was a woman.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 12:47:50 AM
At 11/15/2015 12:34:01 AM, beng100 wrote:

Yes the guy arrested 8 times by police but never jailed by police was a French citizen 29 years old born in Paris. The guy was known to be radicalized since 2010 but the police didn't consider him a serious threat and let him slip through their fingers. 2 of the other terrorists were found with a syrian and egyptian passport. another terrorist was a woman.

There's not a whole lot you can do about someone who is a citizen, unless they're convicted.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:01:21 AM
At 11/15/2015 12:07:01 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

The so called "left" believe in among other things those enlightenment values, indiscriminately killing people based on a world view of supernatural beings who want you to kill................yeah that's kind of the opposite of what they all about.

I think you should retread what he wrote. He didn't call the terrorists liberals.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:04:17 AM
At 11/15/2015 12:34:01 AM, beng100 wrote:

Attempting a terrorist attack on your own country seems like something you should be able to do something about. Knowing for a fact you have an enemy combatant and who it is, seems easy to deal with.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:08:29 AM
At 11/15/2015 1:01:21 AM, Wylted wrote:

I think you should retread what he wrote. He didn't call the terrorists liberals.

RIght, he merely caricatured the "left" so he then concludes on that they are at partly at fault "have blood on their hands"
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:09:26 AM
At 11/15/2015 1:08:29 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

RIght, he merely caricatured the "left" so he then concludes on that they are at partly at fault "have blood on their hands"

He is saying their policies make terrorist attacks more likely to happen, not that they are terrorists
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:11:44 AM
8:00-9:40. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:30:10 AM
At 11/15/2015 1:09:26 AM, Wylted wrote:

He is saying their policies make terrorist attacks more likely to happen, not that they are terrorists

Ahh but you see the "left" let them in.............

And something about multiculturism.............

And they don't assimilate the muslims..........

And they don't let people have guns...........

So if those are the problems lets see what happens when get get rid of those problems...........

Don't let muslims in, lets face it terrorists are not going to tell you up front if they are a terrorist so in order to not "let them in" we are going to have to stop all msulims.

If multiculturalism is the problem then one culture is the solution. Now all support the one "culture". May the great light of our nation and leader shine upon you all, north korea is best korea.

It's not good enough for a muslim to merely upheld the laws and basic values they must be "assimilated" we can't just fight terrorism unless we do our best borg impression.

ANd last but not least, guns more guns.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 1:56:13 AM
At 11/15/2015 1:30:10 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

So if those are the problems lets see what happens when get get rid of those problems...........

Don't let muslims in, lets face it terrorists are not going to tell you up front if they are a terrorist so in order to not "let them in" we are going to have to stop all msulims.

If multiculturalism is the problem then one culture is the solution. Now all support the one "culture". May the great light of our nation and leader shine upon you all, north korea is best korea.

It's not good enough for a muslim to merely upheld the laws and basic values they must be "assimilated" we can't just fight terrorism unless we do our best borg impression.

retread where this started and tell me what the hell anything you said here has to do with this?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 2:02:20 AM
At 11/15/2015 1:11:44 AM, thett3 wrote:

8:00-9:40. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking

I watched that whole video. I don't agree with everything he said, but I certainly understand his perspective.
Tsar of DDO
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 2:17:50 AM

You forgot to talk about deporting the Moose-limbs, also something about the Iz-lamb-ization of Europe.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 2:21:47 AM
At 11/15/2015 2:17:50 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

You forgot to talk about deporting the Moose-limbs, also something about the Iz-lamb-ization of Europe.

I never said that. If you're going to strawman at least strawman an argument I actually made. Why does the left always have to mock its enemies?

Multiculturalism is self evidently a good idea. This is why we need to mock, shame, and try to get fired anyone who says anything that goes against the narrative
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett