Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Sam Harris clip on Islam

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2015 8:25:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago

I found this appropriate and tried adding it into existing discussions. When we begin rationalizing events like the Paris attacks, rightists will always eventually bring up what they believe to be the source of the issue - Islam itself.

As much as I hate the fact that i'm conservative on some issues, I cannot deny the logical and articulate explanation behind the validity of Islam, posed by Sam Harris. His understanding is that it is not wholly a question of the people and those who follow the faith, but rather a question of the ideas that are held in the faith. We can pick and choose what we want to believe, but does that necessarily detract from the problem of following a set of beliefs that can be both good and bad? Sam Harris is an atheist because we shouldn't have to, or we simply do not need to, derive our morals and our ethics from ancient texts that are ambiguous, contradictory, and outdated. But he posits that, despite this, not all religions are the same; this also includes non-monotheistic religions. Here, he makes the claim that Islam has more bad ideas than good ideas, and is thus measured to be worse than the other monotheistic religions.