Jump to topic:

Are more terrorist attacks In Europe imminent

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 7:51:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Following the deadliest attack against Europe by terrorists in over ten years and the biggest act of violence in France since the second world war the concern now is what is to follow. This is the biggest and most complex plot succesfuly carried out by the Islamic state terrorist group in Europe so far and it is concerning what else they have planned. The UK has foiled seven terrorist plots so far this year and France has already suffered from a terrorist attack earlier in the year. Both countries are significantly increasing counter terrorism spending and increasing the number of personel dedicated to it. Do you think another attack is likely in the short term or is this just a one off?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 8:04:59 PM
At 11/16/2015 7:51:52 PM, beng100 wrote:
Following the deadliest attack against Europe by terrorists in over ten years and the biggest act of violence in France since the second world war the concern now is what is to follow. This is the biggest and most complex plot succesfuly carried out by the Islamic state terrorist group in Europe so far and it is concerning what else they have planned. The UK has foiled seven terrorist plots so far this year and France has already suffered from a terrorist attack earlier in the year. Both countries are significantly increasing counter terrorism spending and increasing the number of personel dedicated to it. Do you think another attack is likely in the short term or is this just a one off?

There will be more attempts. There are always going to be attempts. Successes? Well, that is the question.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 8:44:26 PM
At 11/16/2015 8:32:40 PM, beng100 wrote:
As a UK citizen I fear a successful attack on London is probably imminent.

Yea, probably. And, not trying to minimize it, London is also bound to have murders, rapists and other tragic deaths.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:03:09 PM
At 11/16/2015 8:44:26 PM, TBR wrote:

Yea, probably. And, not trying to minimize it, London is also bound to have murders, rapists and other tragic deaths.

Yes true. It depends on the scale of the attack I suppose. If somebody hijacked a plane and hit the shard causing its collapse and thousands of deaths it would be a major concern. A rogue individual murdering a couple of people would not be a particularly extroadinary event.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:07:13 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:03:09 PM, beng100 wrote:

Yes true. It depends on the scale of the attack I suppose. If somebody hijacked a plane and hit the shard causing its collapse and thousands of deaths it would be a major concern. A rogue individual murdering a couple of people would not be a particularly extroadinary event.

I am soooo sorry to bring this up, but... Do you like Danger Mouse? I have been really enjoying watching DM with my 5yo, and the "new" ones are out. In the opening seen they destroy a good chunk London including that building.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:08:06 PM
I guess if I had to turn that in to a point on topic.... You might want to watch-out for eye-patch wearing mice.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:17:14 PM

Yeah it is quite a scary thing to imagine. The most you can do is report suspicious activity, and try to avoid places where a lot of people hang out.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:20:06 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:17:14 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Yeah it is quite a scary thing to imagine. The most you can do is report suspicious activity, and try to avoid places where a lot of people hang out.

Reporting suspicious activity yes but i think it is a backward step if society has to fear terrorism to the extent they avoid public gatherings.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:21:24 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:20:06 PM, beng100 wrote:

Reporting suspicious activity yes but i think it is a backward step if society has to fear terrorism to the extent they avoid public gatherings.

Yeah I know it sounds pretty paranoid, but In my opinion, It is better safe than sorry. It does suck. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. London did experience a terrorist attack in 2005 right?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:21:59 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:07:13 PM, TBR wrote:
At 11/16/2015 9:03:09 PM, beng100 wrote:

I am soooo sorry to bring this up, but... Do you like Danger Mouse? I have been really enjoying watching DM with my 5yo, and the "new" ones are out. In the opening seen they destroy a good chunk London including that building.

Never watched it. I assume you think that type of event is highly improbable? I think its unlikely but it should be considered. Remember the twin towers?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:23:11 PM
Never watched it. I assume you think that type of event is highly improbable? I think its unlikely but it should be considered. Remember the twin towers?

It is always possible. The problem I have is in overreacting out of fear.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:30:00 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:21:24 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 11/16/2015 9:20:06 PM, beng100 wrote:

Yeah I know it sounds pretty paranoid, but In my opinion, It is better safe than sorry. It does suck. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. London did experience a terrorist attack in 2005 right?

Yes it suffered attacks by suicide bombers in 3 tube stations and a double Decker bus killing around 70 people. Your point is probably valid I agree. I don't live in London but if I did go there I admit I would be concerned about the possibility of terrorism. Where I live in wales though it is not something to worry about.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:31:11 PM
At 11/16/2015 9:23:11 PM, TBR wrote:

It is always possible. The problem I have is in overreacting out of fear.

Yes agree. Society should not act scared.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 12:18:43 AM
It's possible, but not 'imminent'--in my opinion. Due the Paris attack, all European countries are on high alert and will be sharing intelligence with one another. In the U.K, security has been increased and *if* there was any immediate possibility of a terrorist attack it would be thwarted or acted on very quickly.

The main concern in my opinion is European/Western planes travelling to the Middle East. It's highly probable that ISIS brought down the Russian plane with a bomb that was either knowingly or *not** knowingly placed on board, and there's no real saying that they won't manage to do it again.

However...I think that they will maybe keep quiet for a little while.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 5:46:20 PM
At 11/17/2015 12:18:43 AM, Emilrose wrote:
It's possible, but not 'imminent'--in my opinion. Due the Paris attack, all European countries are on high alert and will be sharing intelligence with one another. In the U.K, security has been increased and *if* there was any immediate possibility of a terrorist attack it would be thwarted or acted on very quickly.

The main concern in my opinion is European/Western planes travelling to the Middle East. It's highly probable that ISIS brought down the Russian plane with a bomb that was either knowingly or *not** knowingly placed on board, and there's no real saying that they won't manage to do it again.

However...I think that they will maybe keep quiet for a little while.

Yes agree security will be high but the question I am raising is whether this is the start of a series of strikes in Europe by Islamic state militants or simply a one off. Personally I expect further large scale attacks in the near future. The refugee crisis unfortunately allows IS to send operatives into europe pretending to be Syrian refugees. France is probably more at risk then the UK due to it being in the schengem area and not having the sea to protect it from illegal migration.

Yes I agree western planes in the middle east and elsewhere for that matter are vulnerable to bombs placed by terrorists perhaps with the assistance of corrupt/ compliant airport security officials. What makes you think they will keep quiet for a while?