Jump to topic:

Gun control, for it or against it

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 12:08:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm for the right to keep and bare arms. Guns have been used in defense about 1 million times per year. Usually without firing a shot. I also think that just like driver's licenses, carry permits should be recognized everywhere in the USA.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 1:53:27 AM
At 11/17/2015 12:08:37 AM, Maccabee wrote:
I'm for the right to keep and bare arms. Guns have been used in defense about 1 million times per year. Usually without firing a shot. I also think that just like driver's licenses, carry permits should be recognized everywhere in the USA.

Against. Criminals don't obey laws. Most people with guns are the good guys. People will be good or bad regardless of the tools they use. It's a constitutional right.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 2:25:10 AM

Are you against all gun control? Ex-felons can get guns? Children?
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 2:46:19 AM
At 11/17/2015 2:25:10 AM, TBR wrote:

Yes to both of those. Anybody could be considered a felon nowadays. If we execute murderers, rapist, and kidnappers and those who attempt to do such, make thieves pay from double to quadruple of what they stolen, and make victimless crimes misdemeanors. With children, it was not too long ago when children would bring there rifles to school and after school they will go hunting.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 2:48:57 AM

Gun control =/= Against the right to keep and bare arms.

When we can start recognizing what we are actually talking about perhaps we can have a productive discussion.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 4:54:49 AM
At 11/17/2015 2:48:57 AM, Double_R wrote:

When we can start recognizing what we are actually talking about perhaps we can have a productive discussion.

Yup. That is the point, right.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 6:18:44 AM

I hear you there, but the ideas that walk the line between control and rights will never get mentioned on a large scale. It seems only extremism on both sides garners support.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 2:40:57 PM
At 11/17/2015 6:18:44 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:

I hear you there, but the ideas that walk the line between control and rights will never get mentioned on a large scale. It seems only extremism on both sides garners support.

They get talked about all the time. They get drowned out with "they want to take all the gunns"
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 3:19:08 PM
At 11/17/2015 2:46:19 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Yes to both of those. Anybody could be considered a felon nowadays. If we execute murderers, rapist, and kidnappers and those who attempt to do such, make thieves pay from double to quadruple of what they stolen, and make victimless crimes misdemeanors. With children, it was not too long ago when children would bring there rifles to school and after school they will go hunting.

I am asking honestly. You would like any and all existing restrictions eliminated? I can put a gun store next to the jail, and offer a prisoner special? Come in with release paperwork for a free box of ammo with any handgun purchase?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 3:48:16 PM
At 11/17/2015 3:19:08 PM, TBR wrote:

I am asking honestly. You would like any and all existing restrictions eliminated? I can put a gun store next to the jail, and offer a prisoner special? Come in with release paperwork for a free box of ammo with any handgun purchase?

I think most (rational) people agree certain people, like violent felons, shouldn't be allowed to own guns. But when it comes to what guns can and can't be restricted, especially since you said you agree that the constitution should be respected in an earlier discussion, that Heller already resolved the issue of what gun control is constitutional and what gun control isn't?
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 4:22:27 PM

Of course not. But violent criminals should be punished violently. Actually, there's little need for prisons. You either fine them, beat them, or execute them depending on the crime.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 4:48:15 PM
At 11/17/2015 3:48:16 PM, Objectivity wrote:

I think most (rational) people agree certain people, like violent felons, shouldn't be allowed to own guns. But when it comes to what guns can and can't be restricted, especially since you said you agree that the constitution should be respected in an earlier discussion, that Heller already resolved the issue of what gun control is constitutional and what gun control isn't?

Agreed. You know my stance, I am probing this question is all.

I don't like the narrative that "gun control = no guns". This hinders honest discussion
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 2:01:29 PM

I support Gun Control, and also support the right to bear arms. Just because I support common sense regulations like universal background checks, doesn't mean I want to take away guns from law abiding people.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 2:13:42 PM

Quite simply it is essential for gun licences to be issued for everyone wishing to possess a firearm and accurate records kept of the ownership and location of firearms.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 6:00:52 PM
At 11/18/2015 2:13:42 PM, beng100 wrote:

Quite simply it is essential for gun licences to be issued for everyone wishing to possess a firearm and accurate records kept of the ownership and location of firearms.

And hitler thought the same thing. How else did they got rid of all the guns if he didn't knew who owned them?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 6:38:54 PM
At 11/18/2015 6:00:52 PM, Maccabee wrote:

And hitler thought the same thing. How else did they got rid of all the guns if he didn't knew who owned them?

I live in the UK where a system is in place where you have to apply for a gun licence showing what you want it for and have to renew it every three years. Medical and mental health checks are made as well to insure a person is safe to be trusted with a firearm. It's a good system. A person with a licence is allowed to supervise someone without a licence while using a gun but has to take responsibility to ensure the person without a licence uses it safely and appropriately. Records are also kept about where guns are stored so police can find them if needed. Guns have to be kept in locked gun cabinets when not in use. It is illegal to carry a firearm in public place without a legitimate reason. In the uk everyone is happy with the laws including gun users and people with generally right wing political views like myself.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 9:02:02 PM
At 11/18/2015 6:38:54 PM, beng100 wrote:

I live in the UK where a system is in place where you have to apply for a gun licence showing what you want it for and have to renew it every three years. Medical and mental health checks are made as well to insure a person is safe to be trusted with a firearm. It's a good system. A person with a licence is allowed to supervise someone without a licence while using a gun but has to take responsibility to ensure the person without a licence uses it safely and appropriately. Records are also kept about where guns are stored so police can find them if needed. Guns have to be kept in locked gun cabinets when not in use. It is illegal to carry a firearm in public place without a legitimate reason. In the uk everyone is happy with the laws including gun users and people with generally right wing political views like myself.

Crimes rose in UK when they banned carrying of firearms. We have an unalienable right to keep and bare arms.

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:23:25 AM
At 11/18/2015 9:02:02 PM, Maccabee wrote:

Crimes rose in UK when they banned carrying of firearms. We have an unalienable right to keep and bare arms.

Crime rates fall here every year. How is carrying a loaded gun good for society? I acknowledge I'm used to a different culture but as I see it its simply a case of the uk being further down the line in terms of civilization and development then the usa. It's true people like what they are used too but it's interesting no debate about gun control happens in the UK. It's a settled matter. In the USA however it's a divisive issue. I think the presence of guns in society sends out the wrong message. Ultimately they are dangerous weapons designed to kill people. It's just not sensible for people to carry them round. It's like carrying a grenade or an axe. I oppose uncontrolled gun ownership and oppose the carrying of guns in public places.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:39:53 AM
At 11/17/2015 6:18:44 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:

I really hope your joking here, because most of the gun control debate revolves around simple background checks, you know, to make sure the guy buying a full auto AR with a drum magazine isn't a serial rapist.
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:47:43 AM
Last I checked, the Second Amendment clarified that the intent of firearms was to form a militia in the case of a tyrannical government- not just protection from home invaders. Submitting our guns would quite literally be submitting ourselves to government's authority and manipulation. And that is how we become a police state.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 3:34:25 AM
http://gunssavelives.net...
Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times a year to save lives. Criminals will get them anyways and will use them against defenseless law abiding citizens if we ban them. Look at what happened in Paris. They have gun control but terrorists got them anyways.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 3:35:24 AM

But you guys have so much violent crime.
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 3:45:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com...

Its pretty clear: gun regulation works. No question about it.
Thank you for voting!
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 3:47:43 AM
At 11/19/2015 3:34:25 AM, Dilara wrote:
Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times a year to save lives. Criminals will get them anyways and will use them against defenseless law abiding citizens if we ban them. Look at what happened in Paris. They have gun control but terrorists got them anyways.

Then why have laws at all?

I mean, people murder people all the time. Really, what we ought to do is simply turn around and legalize murder.

because really, if murder was legal, no one would murder for fear of being murdered!

*that was sarcasm.*
Thank you for voting!
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 4:40:03 AM
At 11/19/2015 3:47:43 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 11/19/2015 3:34:25 AM, Dilara wrote:

Then why have laws at all?

I mean, people murder people all the time. Really, what we ought to do is simply turn around and legalize murder.

because really, if murder was legal, no one would murder for fear of being murdered!

*that was sarcasm.*
Gun laws only take guns from law abiding citizens. Take a look at Chicago and its crime rate.

Ebola666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 4:44:48 AM
That's actually true. The only person who can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. If we give all of the teachers at schools a gun, then people won't try to shoot schools. They only shoot schools now because they're easy targets.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 8:47:24 AM
At 11/19/2015 3:35:24 AM, Dilara wrote:

I wouldent say the way to reduce violent crime is to take away gun laws and allow everyone to carry guns around. The only people pleased about a change to that law would be violent gangs and criminals.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:15:40 PM

I wouldent say the way to reduce violent crime is to take away gun laws and allow everyone to carry guns around. The only people pleased about a change to that law would be violent gangs and criminals.

Again, how does that make sense? They do that anyways, a criminal by its nature isn't concerned with the law.

Honestly, please explain to me how a criminal, some one interested in using force of arms with which to gain compliance for self enrichment wants their victim to have legal recourse to be armed.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:17:43 PM

Ignore my reply, I feel as though I misread your post, apologies.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...