Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Will railguns make gun control obsolete?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 7:12:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Think about it: the most important component in guns is the powder stuff which is used to propel the bullet at speeds needed to kill. As it is right now civilian guns could be eliminated in the long-term by taking any access to the materials needed to make guns.
A person could still theoretically build a makeshift gun but without the powder it'd be completely useless other than perhaps to bluffing your way through a robbery.
However, we are entering a new generation of firearms: Railguns. A few individuals out there have created homemade railguns for demonstrative purposes and posted videos on the internet of them using these guns.
A railgun doesn't need gunpowder; what it needs is electricity. It literally only needs to be plugged in and charged for a while (provided that you couldn't just keep a bunch of battery "cartridges" with you) as well as a piece of metal which you'd use as the bullet.
I imagine that in the next 20 years the knowledge of how to make railguns will become fairly commonplace and easily available on the internet. And when this happens...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:05:40 AM
At 11/18/2015 7:12:56 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Think about it: the most important component in guns is the powder stuff which is used to propel the bullet at speeds needed to kill. As it is right now civilian guns could be eliminated in the long-term by taking any access to the materials needed to make guns.
A person could still theoretically build a makeshift gun but without the powder it'd be completely useless other than perhaps to bluffing your way through a robbery.
However, we are entering a new generation of firearms: Railguns. A few individuals out there have created homemade railguns for demonstrative purposes and posted videos on the internet of them using these guns.
A railgun doesn't need gunpowder; what it needs is electricity. It literally only needs to be plugged in and charged for a while (provided that you couldn't just keep a bunch of battery "cartridges" with you) as well as a piece of metal which you'd use as the bullet.
I imagine that in the next 20 years the knowledge of how to make railguns will become fairly commonplace and easily available on the internet. And when this happens...

Banning gun powder is probably the dumbest form (and easiest to overturn) of "gun control" I've ever heard.

And even then, I don't think railguns will be replacing firearms any time soon.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:54:05 AM
The old fashioned black gunpowder is not very difficult to make if guns become scarce they will be very valuable and criminals will figure out how to make them. I understand that many people will think allowing people to buy and own guns is immoral, but these people need to think up another method to stop people from getting shot.