Jump to topic:

Should we accept the term Daesh...

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:29:28 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

- That's the term they themselves use, why not. ISIS refers to other things (such as a clothing line, & an Egyptian goddess).
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:29:28 AM, Yassine wrote:

- That's the term they themselves use, why not. ISIS refers to other things (such as a clothing line, & an Egyptian goddess).

Read this and tell me what you think.
https://www.freewordcentre.com...

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:31:26 AM

The Arabs have called them Daesh since their foundation. The US translated them as being the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, but later they changed their name to be just the Islamic State.

It is all semantics really. What a non-issue.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM, TBR wrote:

- TL;DR, but the writing in the picture spells: "The State of Donkeys in Iraq & the Levant".

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.

- You started a post about this -_-
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:41:44 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM, Yassine wrote:

- TL;DR, but the writing in the picture spells: "The State of Donkeys in Iraq & the Levant".

I don't care. I want to know if others do. You could change my mind.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:43:30 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:41:44 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM, Yassine wrote:

I don't care. I want to know if others do. You could change my mind.

- I ordinarily refer to them as Daesh, for obvious reasons. You do what suits you.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:43:31 AM
That could have been misread. I don't care if I refer to them as ISIS, IS, Daesh, or bunch of a$$holes. The only one I dislike is ISIL because it messes with my enjoyment of Archer.

https://www.youtube.com...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:46:25 AM
At 11/19/2015 12:43:31 AM, TBR wrote:
That could have been misread. I don't care if I refer to them as ISIS, IS, Daesh, or bunch of a$$holes. The only one I dislike is ISIL because it messes with my enjoyment of Archer.

https://www.youtube.com...

- I can understand that. I bet the clothing company Isis hates the reference too.
Current Debates:

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM
I've just been reading that al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham (aka ISIS) personally dislike anyone who uses the term 'Daesh' and now view it as something derogatory.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:18:38 AM
At 11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.

I don't know. I read that aloud and halfway expected a demon to materialize in my room.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:20:09 AM
ISIS is the name of Bud Bundy's inflatable whore. You youngsters may not remember the TV show "Married With Children". However older people remember this very popular show and that is what they associate the word isis with so they think it seems appropriate.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:20:14 AM

Yea... Not doing that. Way more work than they are worth.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:25:45 AM
At 11/19/2015 1:18:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I don't know. I read that aloud and halfway expected a demon to materialize in my room.

Hehe ;) All I can think of is ISIS fighters saying it...al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham!

And again 10x over.

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:27:23 AM
At 11/19/2015 1:20:14 AM, TBR wrote:

Yea... Not doing that. Way more work than they are worth.

Not really...it's quite easy once you say it.

lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:36:47 AM

How about "SCUM" I think it's rather fitting.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:42:22 AM

Daesh is just the Arabic acronym last time I checked. The name may change depending on language. Heck, the Japanese name for ISIS just translates into "Islamic country"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM
At 11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:41:26 AM
I want to trim their beards...(see article)

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM
At 11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM, Emilrose wrote:

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

Read the article I linked to. It was a fair assessment that it is NOT an insult. I really don't know if it is or isn't, but the article seemed sound.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:53:26 AM
At 11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM, TBR wrote:

Read the article I linked to. It was a fair assessment that it is NOT an insult. I really don't know if it is or isn't, but the article seemed sound.

Naw it was sound...but what I'm saying is that *they* (ISIS) see it as insulting...

But that's not my view.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:54:30 AM
At 11/19/2015 2:53:26 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM, TBR wrote:

Naw it was sound...but what I'm saying is that *they* (ISIS) see it as insulting...

But that's not my view.

Well, that has been part of the narrative, however, the article seems to say otherwise.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 4:46:16 AM
At 11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM, Emilrose wrote:

I've just been reading that al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham (aka ISIS) personally dislike anyone who uses the term 'Daesh' and now view it as something derogatory.

- They do, the people use it. It's meant to be derogatory. Acronyms in Arabic usually hold bad connotations.
Current Debates:

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 11:17:43 AM
At 11/20/2015 4:46:16 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM, Emilrose wrote:

- They do, the people use it. It's meant to be derogatory. Acronyms in Arabic usually hold bad connotations.

Indeed, I was reading into it the other day.