Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Should we accept the term Daesh...

TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:29:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

- That's the term they themselves use, why not. ISIS refers to other things (such as a clothing line, & an Egyptian goddess).
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:29:28 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

- That's the term they themselves use, why not. ISIS refers to other things (such as a clothing line, & an Egyptian goddess).

Read this and tell me what you think.
https://www.freewordcentre.com...

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.
BlackFlags
Posts: 904
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:31:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

The Arabs have called them Daesh since their foundation. The US translated them as being the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, but later they changed their name to be just the Islamic State.

It is all semantics really. What a non-issue.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Read this and tell me what you think.
https://www.freewordcentre.com...

- TL;DR, but the writing in the picture spells: "The State of Donkeys in Iraq & the Levant".

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.

- You started a post about this -_-
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:41:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Read this and tell me what you think.
https://www.freewordcentre.com...

- TL;DR, but the writing in the picture spells: "The State of Donkeys in Iraq & the Levant".

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.

- You started a post about this -_-

I don't care. I want to know if others do. You could change my mind.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:43:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:41:44 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/19/2015 12:40:38 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/19/2015 12:31:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Read this and tell me what you think.
https://www.freewordcentre.com...

- TL;DR, but the writing in the picture spells: "The State of Donkeys in Iraq & the Levant".

I honestly don't care one bit, but it seems like lots of chatter about the newest of names.

- You started a post about this -_-

I don't care. I want to know if others do. You could change my mind.

- I ordinarily refer to them as Daesh, for obvious reasons. You do what suits you.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:43:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
That could have been misread. I don't care if I refer to them as ISIS, IS, Daesh, or bunch of a$$holes. The only one I dislike is ISIL because it messes with my enjoyment of Archer.

https://www.youtube.com...
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 12:46:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:43:31 AM, TBR wrote:
That could have been misread. I don't care if I refer to them as ISIS, IS, Daesh, or bunch of a$$holes. The only one I dislike is ISIL because it messes with my enjoyment of Archer.

https://www.youtube.com...


- I can understand that. I bet the clothing company Isis hates the reference too.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've just been reading that al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham (aka ISIS) personally dislike anyone who uses the term 'Daesh' and now view it as something derogatory.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:18:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.

I don't know. I read that aloud and halfway expected a demon to materialize in my room.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:20:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
ISIS is the name of Bud Bundy's inflatable whore. You youngsters may not remember the TV show "Married With Children". However older people remember this very popular show and that is what they associate the word isis with so they think it seems appropriate.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:20:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.

Yea... Not doing that. Way more work than they are worth.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:25:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 1:18:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.

I don't know. I read that aloud and halfway expected a demon to materialize in my room.

Hehe ;) All I can think of is ISIS fighters saying it...al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham!

And again 10x over.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:27:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 1:20:14 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/19/2015 1:12:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Both ISIS *and* Daesh are acceptable.

You could always be really 'correct' and say: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, which is simply shortened to 'Daesh'.

Yea... Not doing that. Way more work than they are worth.

Not really...it's quite easy once you say it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:36:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

How about "SCUM" I think it's rather fitting.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:42:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 12:22:55 AM, TBR wrote:
Keeping with changing the acronym every couple months, should we accept this new bit of name nonsense, or stick with ISIS? (IS, is or. ISIL pisses me off, they are not members of Malory Archer spy business).

Daesh is just the Arabic acronym last time I checked. The name may change depending on language. Heck, the Japanese name for ISIS just translates into "Islamic country"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:41:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to trim their beards...(see article)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Read the article I linked to. It was a fair assessment that it is NOT an insult. I really don't know if it is or isn't, but the article seemed sound.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:53:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Read the article I linked to. It was a fair assessment that it is NOT an insult. I really don't know if it is or isn't, but the article seemed sound.

Naw it was sound...but what I'm saying is that *they* (ISIS) see it as insulting...

But that's not my view.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 2:54:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 2:53:26 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:46:30 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:38:20 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/19/2015 2:05:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I prefer to use the term ISIL. I have no particular opinion as to whether the ISIL is truly Muslim or not, but using a different name for the organization than the one by which the group is called, even to appease the Muslim world, is a bit dishonest .

They themselves dislike 'daesh'. In fact, that's the name to call them if you DON'T want to appease.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Read the article I linked to. It was a fair assessment that it is NOT an insult. I really don't know if it is or isn't, but the article seemed sound.

Naw it was sound...but what I'm saying is that *they* (ISIS) see it as insulting...

But that's not my view.

Well, that has been part of the narrative, however, the article seems to say otherwise.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 4:46:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM, Emilrose wrote:

I've just been reading that al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham (aka ISIS) personally dislike anyone who uses the term 'Daesh' and now view it as something derogatory.

- They do, the people use it. It's meant to be derogatory. Acronyms in Arabic usually hold bad connotations.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 11:17:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/20/2015 4:46:16 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/19/2015 1:17:44 AM, Emilrose wrote:

I've just been reading that al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham (aka ISIS) personally dislike anyone who uses the term 'Daesh' and now view it as something derogatory.

- They do, the people use it. It's meant to be derogatory. Acronyms in Arabic usually hold bad connotations.

Indeed, I was reading into it the other day.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'