Jump to topic:

Judicial Reform Goals

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 5:31:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If I was in congress, I would immediately nationalize all publicly held prisons. I would pass laws forbidding states to privatizing prisons, or subcontracting penal services. It would be the largest seizure of private property in American history.

I would break the prison industry, or what remained of it, with anti-trust litigation, create an entire division of the DOJ (or a congressional investigative team, depending) to break every last bit of it apart. I would, before doing this, collect evidence for each and every conceivable conduct violation of all prison officials, and private prison related subcontractors, and impose the maximum possible fine on all of them for every violation, and demand asset forfeiture as compensation, to the extent that the industries fought this.

If president (in my second term) I would simultaneously establish a commission to review every prisoner's sentence, and commute the sentences of every single nonviolent drug related offender. Every single one of them, without fail. If there was violence involved, I would still consider commuting the sentences.

I would create a national campaign of publicly shaming judges who imposed disparate sentences between white and non white convicts. I would try to get a constitutional amendment to make illegal the election of any judges, at all. All judges would be appointed, and tenured for life subject to impeachment. I would then and there appoint as many conceivable judges as I could.

I would also strip all funding for the idiotically counterproductive efforts which hundreds of millions of dollars have been poured into, which cause more crime --ironically-- like DARE and "Scared Straight."

I would create a national prison rehabilitation program, similar to a community college, where former prisoners might go to learn useful skills (like fixing cars, welding, computer programing, etc.).

This, I think, would be a good start.
Tsar of DDO
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 8:05:37 PM
At 11/21/2015 5:31:41 PM, YYW wrote:
If I was in congress, I would immediately nationalize all publicly held prisons. I would pass laws forbidding states to privatizing prisons, or subcontracting penal services. It would be the largest seizure of private property in American history.

I would break the prison industry, or what remained of it, with anti-trust litigation, create an entire division of the DOJ (or a congressional investigative team, depending) to break every last bit of it apart. I would, before doing this, collect evidence for each and every conceivable conduct violation of all prison officials, and private prison related subcontractors, and impose the maximum possible fine on all of them for every violation, and demand asset forfeiture as compensation, to the extent that the industries fought this.

If president (in my second term) I would simultaneously establish a commission to review every prisoner's sentence, and commute the sentences of every single nonviolent drug related offender. Every single one of them, without fail. If there was violence involved, I would still consider commuting the sentences.

I would create a national campaign of publicly shaming judges who imposed disparate sentences between white and non white convicts. I would try to get a constitutional amendment to make illegal the election of any judges, at all. All judges would be appointed, and tenured for life subject to impeachment. I would then and there appoint as many conceivable judges as I could.

I would also strip all funding for the idiotically counterproductive efforts which hundreds of millions of dollars have been poured into, which cause more crime --ironically-- like DARE and "Scared Straight."

I would create a national prison rehabilitation program, similar to a community college, where former prisoners might go to learn useful skills (like fixing cars, welding, computer programing, etc.).

Read my thread. That's how to sort out the judicial and criminal justice system. I don't think your proposals will be radical enough.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:09:17 AM
At 11/22/2015 8:05:37 PM, beng100 wrote:

Read my thread. That's how to sort out the judicial and criminal justice system. I don't think your proposals will be radical enough.

I've read them. You shouldn't be reading what I've said here as a comprehensive strategy. It's just a set of goals.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:25:17 AM
My goals are much similar, I'd like to decriminalize all or most recreational drugs to counteract the disproportionate arrests of the poor and upper classes, as well as stop some of the negative societal effects of that, such as perpetuating a cycle of poverty, creating more public health concerns and just plain ruining people's lives. I think this alone will solve a ton of problems with the criminal justice system.

Furthermore, I'd like to see qualified and full immunity rulings of the Supreme Court be overturned. Having immunity, really does get in the way of holding public and government officials accountable.

I'd like to see the death penalty and mandatory minimums taken off the table. Often the prosecution uses the death penalty as a threat to get people to accept bigger charges than what a jury would convict them for, as wel as the other abuses of it. There is a reason why the OJ Simpsons of the world, the wealthy, the white, recieve the death penalty more than others, and it has everything to do with the fact that you can't expect juries to be in biased.

I'd like to see less secrets that the prosecution is allowed to keep. It's ridiculous that the prosecution can see, everything surrounding a case, but the defense gets copies of the same papers, but with stuff blacked off. The state shouldn't be able to hide anything.

I'd like to see, efforts made to make bail more affordable for the poor, so they aren't coerced into guilty pleas, just to get out of jail and to their families faster.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:29:15 AM
I got like 4 words messed up their, but I'n sure the context of the words, makes their meanings clear
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:42:28 AM
At 11/23/2015 12:25:17 AM, Wylted wrote:
My goals are much similar, I'd like to decriminalize all or most recreational drugs to counteract the disproportionate arrests of the poor and upper classes, as well as stop some of the negative societal effects of that, such as perpetuating a cycle of poverty, creating more public health concerns and just plain ruining people's lives. I think this alone will solve a ton of problems with the criminal justice system.

Furthermore, I'd like to see qualified and full immunity rulings of the Supreme Court be overturned. Having immunity, really does get in the way of holding public and government officials accountable.

I'd like to see the death penalty and mandatory minimums taken off the table. Often the prosecution uses the death penalty as a threat to get people to accept bigger charges than what a jury would convict them for, as wel as the other abuses of it. There is a reason why the OJ Simpsons of the world, the wealthy, the white, recieve the death penalty more than others, and it has everything to do with the fact that you can't expect juries to be in biased.

I'd like to see less secrets that the prosecution is allowed to keep. It's ridiculous that the prosecution can see, everything surrounding a case, but the defense gets copies of the same papers, but with stuff blacked off. The state shouldn't be able to hide anything.

I'd like to see, efforts made to make bail more affordable for the poor, so they aren't coerced into guilty pleas, just to get out of jail and to their families faster.

I agree with much of this, and think that in many respects you're right. Sort of a theme of your post here is political accountability and incentives, and one of the problems with the death penalty, as you rightly suggest, is its functionality as leverage in criminal convictions.

That's because the goal, entirely too often, is to "convict" rather than to "seek the truth of what happened" in contexts where criminal activity may have taken place.

The manifest idiocy of death qualified juries aside, one thing that I've always found very interesting about the death penalty is that the more information any jury is given about anyone who is eligible for the death penalty, the less likely they are to sentence that person to death.

It doesn't even matter if the person is a murderer who raped and brutalized dozens of people. Juries have to see convicts "inhuman" before the can go forward with executions. Some people in some areas are better at than others, of course, but the rule remains.
Tsar of DDO
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:59:35 AM
At 11/23/2015 12:09:17 AM, YYW wrote:
At 11/22/2015 8:05:37 PM, beng100 wrote:

I've read them. You shouldn't be reading what I've said here as a comprehensive strategy. It's just a set of goals.

Ok fair enough.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:46:43 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said and I think an aggressive approach similar to yours is probably the only way to fix something that broken.

Do you think the death penalty would be justifiable in extreme circumstances though?
Or is the death penalty never the answer?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 4:32:41 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
If I was in congress, I would immediately nationalize all publicly held prisons. I would pass laws forbidding states to privatizing prisons, or subcontracting penal services. It would be the largest seizure of private property in American history

Agreed except if you plan to take the prisons they should be bought at fair market value, lets not go full on Cuban property seizure here.

So you will be using the law as a battering ram to eliminate your political enemies? Starting to lose you here, this is kind of reprehensible, as is civil asset forfeiture. I agree private prisons are bad, but don't destroy our system of rule of law and be a thug .president in the process of eliminating them please.

If president (in my second term) I would simultaneously establish a ceommission to review every prisoner's sentence, and commute the sentences of every single nonviolent drug related offender. Every single one of them, without fail. If there was violence involved, I would still consider commuting the sentences.

Agreed except violent offenses.

Agreed that judges shouldn't be elected, but shaming judges? That directly contradicts the purpose behind eliminating elected judges, which is to make sure judges aren't subject to public pressure when making judicial or constitutional decisions, don't be a hypocrite.

How do they cause more crime...? I have worked within my community with these programs and they do great work.

I would create a national prison rehabilitation program, similar to a community college, where former prisoners mim t go to learn useful skills (like fixing cars, welding, computer programing, etc.).

Agreed

stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 11:17:53 PM
Posted: 11 months ago

I oppose amost all of what you said there.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 11:19:46 PM

I oppose decriminalizing drug use, and I oppose making these drugs legal. I support death penalty,I do not support lowing bail.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 12:26:41 AM
At 12/10/2015 11:19:46 PM, stargate wrote:

I oppose decriminalizing drug use, and I oppose making these drugs legal. I support death penalty,I do not support lowing bail.

Cool story, bro. I guess it's cool if middle class white people can afford bail, but Fvck niggers?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 12:20:22 AM
If there was violence involved, I would still consider commuting the sentences.

I don't understand why you support this idea...
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 12:31:13 AM
At 12/13/2015 12:20:22 AM, Contra wrote:

The fact that a person did one violent thing, or even a few violent things, does not mean that they are going to continue to do violent things. It's a very simple concept.
Tsar of DDO
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 12:36:55 AM
At 12/13/2015 12:31:13 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/13/2015 12:20:22 AM, Contra wrote:

The fact that a person did one violent thing, or even a few violent things, does not mean that they are going to continue to do violent things. It's a very simple concept.

The criminalization of drugs has pushed drug trafficking and production underground, where a vacuum from the lack of law and order has led disputes to be settled through violence, which has sprawled out across the country. We both probably agree that this is the case. Are you saying that some violence should be forgiven because of this reality?

And where would the line be drawn? If someone killed another dealer, would they be forgiven? If someone simply fired guns in the city streets at night to intimate people, would they be forgiven? Where do you draw the line?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 12:44:02 AM
At 12/13/2015 12:36:55 AM, Contra wrote:
Are you saying that some violence should be forgiven because of this reality?

That is not what I said, and releasing someone from prison is not equivalent to "forgiving" them. Reread what I said.

And where would the line be drawn? If someone killed another dealer, would they be forgiven? If someone simply fired guns in the city streets at night to intimate people, would they be forgiven? Where do you draw the line?

It would depend on the circumstances, and what I said applies to all criminals, not just drug-related offenders.

If someone is in jail because he shot his wife's lover when he caught them in bed, well that is probably not a guy that is going to go out and shoot another person again, and if he did, then he can go to jail for the rest of his life.

If someone is in jail because they robbed a store because they couldn't pay their bookie, who was going to break one of their child's legs if he didn't pay up, well that is obviously not a person who needs to be in jail, it's someone who needs to be taught how to be a functioning member of society (read: not get involved in illegal gamboling, and maintaining a steady job).

If someone is in jail because they were smuggling drugs, that is not a person who needs to be in jail. it's someone who needs to be put into a situation where they will be compelled to work very hard and have less time on their hands (think "steel mill").
Tsar of DDO
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 10:55:04 AM

--
I think another good idea would be to impose mandatory retirement ages for Judges at 70 years, so that Justices cannot hold on to their offices so long as they wish. This would have to take place as a constitutional amendment.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 3:23:55 AM

For profit prisons are a disgrace to the developed world and all the progress that we've made. I would support you 100% on this.

I would create a national campaign of publicly shaming judges who imposed disparate sentences between white and non white convicts.

To do this you would have to look at each case. There could be differences in the specifics of the case that don't appear when you look at broad statistics.

Our justice system should always be focused on rehabilitation over punishment. Locking up huge amounts of people for long periods of time, ruining their lives and rendering them unable to contribute to society ever again has literally no benefits.
Every long term prison sentence should always have to be justified as to why rehabilitation isn't an option.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 2:47:20 AM

I think what you are saying has good intentions, but goes about it the wrong way. These private prisons are "Pay-per-seat," meaning if you don't get a certain number of slots filled the states have to pick up the tab. Prisons are already expensive, but nationalization would be worse. Though it's the War on Drugs that you should attack. This has caused people to suffer as people now have manditory sentencing and other issues for people and even minorities who are targetted by this.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:21:36 AM
Victimless drug crimes are cluttering up the prison system.

It needs to stop.

As far as the privatization thinghy... yah, it's really hard to get impartial sentencing when the judges are getting kickbacks. That has to go.

Good topic.