Jump to topic:

"Assault" weapons

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:10:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is your tale on "assault" weapons? I believe that there not assault weapons and civilians should have the right to own them.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:29:03 PM
At 11/23/2015 5:10:34 PM, Maccabee wrote:
What is your tale on "assault" weapons? I believe that there not assault weapons and civilians should have the right to own them.

There is really no gun that citizens are NOT allowed to own. There are additional controls on some firearms, that's all.

Now. Should... Should some normal gun owner purchase a select-fire "assault rifle" (however we like to define) with high-capacity magazines (however we like to define), no. They should not. They may, but simply asking me should, I would say no.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:59:55 PM
At 11/23/2015 5:29:03 PM, TBR wrote:

There is really no gun that citizens are NOT allowed to own. There are additional controls on some firearms, that's all.

Now. Should... Should some normal gun owner purchase a select-fire "assault rifle" (however we like to define) with high-capacity magazines (however we like to define), no. They should not. They may, but simply asking me should, I would say no.
Why shouldn't they?

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 6:18:47 PM
Why shouldn't they?

Because they are ridiculous weapons. Their utility is low. Whenever probed, the best answer I have gotten to the use of full-auto weapons has been "fun". That is a reason, one you might accept, but again, we are talking "should". Ask me, and I would say you should not purchase a full-auto weapon for the purpose of fun.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 6:24:23 PM
At 11/23/2015 6:18:47 PM, TBR wrote:
Why shouldn't they?

Because they are ridiculous weapons. Their utility is low. Whenever probed, the best answer I have gotten to the use of full-auto weapons has been "fun". That is a reason, one you might accept, but again, we are talking "should". Ask me, and I would say you should not purchase a full-auto weapon for the purpose of fun.

The civilians during the revolution had private ships with cannons. Besides shouldn't that be the dicision of the buyer to buy a full-auto? Why do people buy Lamborghinis if they go over the speed limit?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 6:36:03 PM
At 11/23/2015 6:24:23 PM, Maccabee wrote:
Why shouldn't they?

The civilians during the revolution had private ships with cannons. Besides shouldn't that be the dicision of the buyer to buy a full-auto? Why do people buy Lamborghinis if they go over the speed limit?

It is a decision of the buyer. It is not a good choice for most. Same is true of a Lamborghini. Not a very good choice for most people.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 6:48:23 PM

If I may ask, why is it you believe that?
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:00:42 PM
At 11/23/2015 6:36:03 PM, TBR wrote:
At 11/23/2015 6:24:23 PM, Maccabee wrote:
Why shouldn't they?

It is a decision of the buyer. It is not a good choice for most. Same is true of a Lamborghini. Not a very good choice for most people.

Then why banned those who wants the choice?

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:02:53 PM
At 11/23/2015 6:48:23 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Because, anything can be used for assault. What the difference between being killed by a five-shot bolt action rifle and being killed by a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:08:30 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:02:53 PM, Maccabee wrote:

Because, anything can be used for assault. What the difference between being killed by a five-shot bolt action rifle and being killed by a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine?

What is a full-auto with a large magazine good at? Why would one be more desirable over the bolt action? Do you think there is a good reason army's don't use bolt-action weapons for common applications?
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:26:31 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:08:30 PM, TBR wrote:

What is a full-auto with a large magazine good at? Why would one be more desirable over the bolt action? Do you think there is a good reason army's don't use bolt-action weapons for common applications?
While true, the fact remains that crimes with a rifle only happen about I think 1% of the time guns have been used for crimes. Also, civilians can find many uses such as defense of home, hunting, and most importantly to keep our military and government in check. Remember, sure the founding fathers used muzzle loaders, but so did the British army.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:27:48 PM
While true, the fact remains that crimes with a rifle only happen about I think 1% of the time guns have been used for crimes. Also, civilians can find many uses such as defense of home, hunting, and most importantly to keep our military and government in check. Remember, sure the founding fathers used muzzle loaders, but so did the British army.

So, you concede that it is a poor general choice?
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:34:59 PM

You can do more damage with semi- auto. Given x amount of time, due to the nature of semi- autos and bolt actions, I hope it's clear to see one can do more damage with the former.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:36:17 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:27:48 PM, TBR wrote:

Not sure what you are asking, poor choice of what?

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:40:38 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:34:59 PM, Pase66 wrote:

You can do more damage with semi- auto. Given x amount of time, due to the nature of semi- autos and bolt actions, I hope it's clear to see one can do more damage with the former.
I don't deny that, but statistically speaking pistols and revolvers have been used for more crimes than any type of rifle. And actually if someone uses a full-auto weapon for a mass shooting then he'd be better off using a semi-auto rifle because the recoil of a full auto will prevent him from taking accurate shots. Plus he'll go through his ammo a lot quicker. Full-autos are used mainly for suppression, not killing masses.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:46:06 PM

You said "may find use..." I just assume that you are admitting that a full-auto is not the most practical of weapons.

So. If not, what exactly is your use-case? Where is it more useful to have the full-auto with a large capacity magazine?
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 7:50:02 PM

Assault rifles (I don't even know what on earth an assault weapon is) should be legal to own (even automatic ones) however they must be heavily regulated. You have so much as a single violent crime under your belt than no way. Even something as simple as a restraining order should stop you. I cant even think of a reason for why you would ever need one anyway.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 8:28:16 PM
At 11/23/2015 7:40:38 PM, Maccabee wrote:

I don't deny that, but statistically speaking pistols and revolvers have been used for more crimes than any type of rifle. And actually if someone uses a full-auto weapon for a mass shooting then he'd be better off using a semi-auto rifle because the recoil of a full auto will prevent him from taking accurate shots. Plus he'll go through his ammo a lot quicker. Full-autos are used mainly for suppression, not killing masses.

And I'm fine with pistols and revolvers. Let's say a guy walks into a bank with a gun. But quickly the police come and surround the building. If you were a cop, would you rather face off against a guy with an assault rifle or a pistol?
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:13:44 AM
If you mean rapid fire guns like machine guns then no since those are only really used for attack.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:45:08 AM
At 11/23/2015 7:46:06 PM, TBR wrote:

You said "may find use..." I just assume that you are admitting that a full-auto is not the most practical of weapons.

So. If not, what exactly is your use-case? Where is it more useful to have the full-auto with a large capacity magazine?
Simple, prevent tyranny. If the military see a use for them then we have a use for them. What if while we have the majority of our army fighting in a country while another country attacks our mainland?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:47:29 AM
At 11/24/2015 1:45:08 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Simple, prevent tyranny. If the military see a use for them then we have a use for them. What if while we have the majority of our army fighting in a country while another country attacks our mainland?

Rambo/Red Dawn fantasy. That is your use case?
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:47:30 AM
At 11/23/2015 7:50:02 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

Assault rifles (I don't even know what on earth an assault weapon is) should be legal to own (even automatic ones) however they must be heavily regulated. You have so much as a single violent crime under your belt than no way. Even something as simple as a restraining order should stop you. I cant even think of a reason for why you would ever need one anyway.
Home defense, defending against hordes, and prevent tyranny.

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:48:40 AM
At 11/23/2015 8:28:16 PM, Pase66 wrote:

And I'm fine with pistols and revolvers. Let's say a guy walks into a bank with a gun. But quickly the police come and surround the building. If you were a cop, would you rather face off against a guy with an assault rifle or a pistol?

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:51:43 AM
At 11/24/2015 1:47:29 AM, TBR wrote:
At 11/24/2015 1:45:08 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Rambo/Red Dawn fantasy. That is your use case?

I hope that never happens. That's why sporting rifles and even military rifles will make the government think twice before becoming tyrannical. Plus that is the idea of our founding fathers when they made the 2nd amendment.

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:03:47 AM
At 11/24/2015 1:48:40 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Okay. With an efficient police force, what need is there to have a gun? Unless you're being sarcastic.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:07:28 AM
At 11/24/2015 1:47:30 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Home defense: I can think of few modern weapons less fit for home defense than an assault rifle. Its long barrel makes it difficult to go around corners and its rounds can easily over penetrate and potentially kill innocent bystanders (one of the reasons police aren't armed with assault rifles). If you were actually interested in self defense you would get a shotgun (has greater hit probability in close courters, hence why it was used to clear trenches in WWI), a pistol (small, has a smaller chance of over penetrating, and some are full auto), or a PDW (same benefit as the pistol).

Defending against hordes: lol

Preventing tyranny: This is probably the only somewhat legitimate reason you could come up with for owning an assault rifle and even then its full of holes. Many other weapons (PDWs, pistoles) can do this and will excel in certain situations (close quarters). Also have you ever seen what happens when a bunch of poorly trained, poorly equipped rebels goes up against a real army; think fish in a barrel, but instead of a barrel its a cup, and instead of a shotgun, its a JSOW. Instead of hiding in a bunker with an AKM pointed at the door, vote for somebody who doesn't administer defacto poll taxes.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:12:00 AM
At 11/24/2015 2:03:47 AM, Pase66 wrote:

Okay. With an efficient police force, what need is there to have a gun? Unless you're being sarcastic.
My point is if its just seconds between me living or dieting I need something to defend myself NOW. I can't wait 10 minutes for the police to arrive.

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:16:40 AM
At 11/24/2015 2:07:28 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 11/24/2015 1:47:30 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Home defense: I can think of few modern weapons less fit for home defense than an assault rifle. Its long barrel makes it difficult to go around corners and its rounds can easily over penetrate and potentially kill innocent bystanders (one of the reasons police aren't armed with assault rifles). If you were actually interested in self defense you would get a shotgun (has greater hit probability in close courters, hence why it was used to clear trenches in WWI), a pistol (small, has a smaller chance of over penetrating, and some are full auto), or a PDW (same benefit as the pistol).

First place, with the right ammo rifles penetrate walls LESS than either pistols or shotguns. Google that if you want.
Defending against hordes: lol

If the world collapse then they'll be hordes but I hope that never happens.
Preventing tyranny: This is probably the only somewhat legitimate reason you could come up with for owning an assault rifle and even then its full of holes. Many other weapons (PDWs, pistoles) can do this and will excel in certain situations (close quarters). Also have you ever seen what happens when a bunch of poorly trained, poorly equipped rebels goes up against a real army; think fish in a barrel, but instead of a barrel its a cup, and instead of a shotgun, its a JSOW. Instead of hiding in a bunker with an AKM pointed at the door, vote for somebody who doesn't administer defacto poll taxes.

Then why our military are armed with rifles rather than pistols? Also the colonist were poorly armed at the beginning as well.

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:20:26 AM
At 11/24/2015 2:12:00 AM, Maccabee wrote:
At 11/24/2015 2:03:47 AM, Pase66 wrote:

My point is if its just seconds between me living or dieting I need something to defend myself NOW. I can't wait 10 minutes for the police to arrive.

Yeah. And a pistol should be fine.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 2:31:22 AM
10 minutes (or less) should be enough to hold off the attacker with martial arts or hide from him/her until the police arrive.