Jump to topic:

Syrian refugees

mendel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 2:44:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The only places now in the world that Jews don't feel any different than non-Jews - in the sense of safety and security, and the sense of belonging and don't feel in any way a need to hide their identity - is for the most part Israel, America, Australia. I've been to Europe and I've seen how Jewish institutions are hidden behind gates and security guards.. here in America there's no such thing, Jews feel happy, safe and secure.

One feature of the Arab world is that they are coming from a culture that is deeply anti semitic (and by that i mean Jew hatred). Now the reasons are irrelevant, what matters is that the reality is that way, in fact according to the latest Pew poll on anti antisemitism these countries of Syria and Iraq had about a 90% rate of anti antisemitism, in fact out of all the Arab countries the most anti Semitic was Iraq.. Being that a countries obligation is first and foremost to its citizens i posit that America should not take in these people, because they would adversely affect the existing Jewish community.

Just my opinion. I started thinking this when i was by a big Jewish event on a closed off street in Manhattan and hundreds of Jews (and some non-Jews) were dancing and milling about and celebrating a Jewish holiday, and i met there a Jewish woman from Europe who was literally crying from joy and said that it was impossible to do something like this in Europe so casually without any fear and the only place she had seen this was in Israel.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 3:46:44 AM
What *exactly* does this have to with Syrian refugees?

Though I do think you're mistaken, I live in Europe and have never really experienced any significant anti-Semitism; the only difference with the U.S is that it has a high Jewish population whereas Europe, does not have it on the same scale.

Also, one could argue that Israel has the most anti-Semitic attacks because of the ongoing political conflict. Around 25 Israeli's have been killed since April (this year) alone.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
mendel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 5:03:45 PM
I"m not going to deal with anecdotal stories, the reality of the security and caution that"s taken by Jews of Europe is verifiable reality. I being in France was told by Jewish store owners when they saw me in my kipah (Jewish head covering) and strings (tzitzit) that it"s dangerous and they never go out like that. To make the claim that there"s no difference between the situation of the Jews of Europe and the Jews of America is in my opinion preposterous. As far as your personal experience either you live in a city or neighborhood where there isn"t anti-antisemitism (i am certain there are such places) or an even easier explanation perhaps your not visibly Jewish so you never experienced anti-antisemitism.

Being that America is from the only places in the world that Jews have it so good, I think its very important to ensure and to preserve that special quality of America that anti-antisemitism is simply not welcome. Now this is a very delicate balancing act, after all, the most pervasive dislike and hatred in the entire world is to the Jews, so keeping America the way it is must be taken very seriously. Bringing in 10,000 virulent anti-Semites simply does not help the cause.

Your argument that it"s simply a matter of numbers, I strongly disagree. First of all this rule holds true in America even in states where there"s a very small Jewish population, secondly take paris for example it has hundreds of thousands of Jews but that doesn"t change anything, and finally it"s all a question of in comparison to the numbers of the country so the 6 million Jews in America are less than 2% of the population.

Israel is not relevant to the conversation, but just so you understand in Israel Jews live proudly and openly as Jews. Furthermore they live for the most part without fear because the fact is that violent crime is very low so even taking into account terrorism the fact is that you have more chance of being hurt in Portland, Washington than Jerusalem, Israel.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 5:23:52 PM
At 11/25/2015 5:03:45 PM, mendel wrote:
I"m not going to deal with anecdotal stories, the reality of the security and caution that"s taken by Jews of Europe is verifiable reality. I being in France was told by Jewish store owners when they saw me in my kipah (Jewish head covering) and strings (tzitzit) that it"s dangerous and they never go out like that. To make the claim that there"s no difference between the situation of the Jews of Europe and the Jews of America is in my opinion preposterous. As far as your personal experience either you live in a city or neighborhood where there isn"t anti-antisemitism (i am certain there are such places) or an even easier explanation perhaps your not visibly Jewish so you never experienced anti-antisemitism.

Being that America is from the only places in the world that Jews have it so good, I think its very important to ensure and to preserve that special quality of America that anti-antisemitism is simply not welcome. Now this is a very delicate balancing act, after all, the most pervasive dislike and hatred in the entire world is to the Jews, so keeping America the way it is must be taken very seriously. Bringing in 10,000 virulent anti-Semites simply does not help the cause.

Your argument that it"s simply a matter of numbers, I strongly disagree. First of all this rule holds true in America even in states where there"s a very small Jewish population, secondly take paris for example it has hundreds of thousands of Jews but that doesn"t change anything, and finally it"s all a question of in comparison to the numbers of the country so the 6 million Jews in America are less than 2% of the population.

Israel is not relevant to the conversation, but just so you understand in Israel Jews live proudly and openly as Jews. Furthermore they live for the most part without fear because the fact is that violent crime is very low so even taking into account terrorism the fact is that you have more chance of being hurt in Portland, Washington than Jerusalem, Israel.

I see. So don't let in the Syrian because Jews don't want them. Nice.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 5:33:33 PM
At 11/25/2015 3:46:44 AM, Emilrose wrote:
What *exactly* does this have to with Syrian refugees?

Though I do think you're mistaken, I live in Europe and have never really experienced any significant anti-Semitism; the only difference with the U.S is that it has a high Jewish population whereas Europe, does not have it on the same scale.

Also, one could argue that Israel has the most anti-Semitic attacks because of the ongoing political conflict. Around 25 Israeli's have been killed since April (this year) alone.

He is saying that keeping Syrians out, will help keep America as the safest place for Jews in the world
mendel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 11:52:46 PM

Actually to a great extent it's the Jewish organizations that are leading the fight for America to take the refugees. I am writing my own opinion that i think that they're being incredibly shortsighted.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:21:53 AM
At 11/25/2015 11:52:46 PM, mendel wrote:

Actually to a great extent it's the Jewish organizations that are leading the fight for America to take the refugees. I am writing my own opinion that i think that they're being incredibly shortsighted.

And I am speaking to YOU.