Jump to topic:

Justify Your Form of Theft

Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 2:24:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As Walter E. Williams wrote, "after reading the book [The Law] I was convinced that a liberal-arts education without an encounter with Bastiat is incomplete. Reading Bastiat made me keenly aware of all the time wasted, along with the frustrations of going down one blind alley after another, organizing my philosophy of life. The Law did not produce a philosophical conversion for me as much as it created order in my thinking about liberty and just human conduct."
When a person recognizes that the greatest single threat to liberty is government. As Frederic Bastiat wrote in "The Law", "See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at he expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain Unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among Men. . . ." America"s founding documents recognize that governments are made up men. As Bastiat stated, "Life, liberty and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it is the fact that life, liberty and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." These ideas separated America from the rest of the world, especially Europe where plunder was used for rewarding supporters. Most laws permit the state to initiate violence against those who have not initiated violence against others. These laws range from anti-smoking laws for private establishments and Social Security "contributions" to licensure laws and minimum wage laws. In each case, the person who resolutely demands and defends his God-given right to be left alone can ultimately suffer death at the hands of our government [Death is not the stated penalty for disobedience; however, death can occur if the person refuses to submit to government sanctions for his disobedience] (Walter E. Williams.)
A person has the right to keep any earnings that were not gained by the use of coercion, fraud, theft, or government sanctioned protection.

A Just and Enduring Government

As Bastiat defines a just and enduring government:

If a nation were founded on this basis, it seems to me that order would prevail among the people, in thought as well as in deed. It seems to me that such a nation would have the most simple, easy to accept, economical, limited, non-oppressive, just, and enduring government imaginable"whatever its political form might be.
Under such an administration, everyone would understand that he possessed all the privileges as well as all the responsibilities of his existence. No one would have any argument with government, provided that his person was respected, his labor was free, and the fruits of his labor were protected against all unjust attack. When successful, we would not have to thank the state for our success.
It can be further stated that, thanks to the non-intervention of the state in private affairs, our wants and their satisfactions would develop themselves in a logical manner" We would not see the great displacements of capital, labor, and population that are caused by legislative decisions.

https://fee.org...

Since, all people have the right to defend themselves, their property, and their liberty. Given that, governments are groups of formed for protection of these basic rights, the group can morally function only as a person can. For the reason that, the taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it is theft. Therefore, a government that removes property from a rightful owner has violated the principles that a just and enduring government was formed, in other words taxation is theft.

Almost everyone has a form of theft they support conservatives have price supports, progressives have transfer payments, farmers and discount retailers gain profits from food stamps, neo-cons must drop bombs on barbarians somewhere to keep big defense happy. You too can add a form of theft that you support with a justification.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.