Jump to topic:

Why are you for or against gun control?

imnotacop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 3:51:02 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
I'm writing an essay on the topic of gun control from a comprehensive standpoint rather than a leftist or right wing ideological stance.

What I want to know is: what your political affiliation is, whether or not you're in favor of gun control, what exactly that means, and why.

So please help me come to a conclusive understanding of how guns should be handles in the United States.

Thank you. ^_^
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:45:59 PM
I'm some kind of leftie, I'm not sure which party. I believe in pacifism, freedoms, basic human rights.

I do however acknowledge the need of self-defense. I don't, however, think that guns should be allowed.

It's true that people kill people. But the most effective mainstream way to kill people to date has been the firearm. While pistols can be worn, non-concealed, in Northern Ireland, there are very few shootings (probably because of the Troubles, I should imagine. There are still a few clashes here and there). In America, which is admittedly nearly 300x bigger in population, there is obscenely high gun crime.

I think it stems more from the American ideology than owning a gun. If you gave me (a Brit) a gun, I could carry it around and not kill anyone. Even in an intense situation, I'd shoot for the legs or arms and not try and commit murder.
An American, put in the same situation, would usually shoot in the head. If someone stole their wallet and leapt into a car, most Americans would shoot the (unarmed) driver in the head instead of his tires, effectively commiting murder for a petty theft.

They also think most people are out there to kill them. Truth be told, 99% of burglars are going to be scared sh-tless if they even hear a sound and run off. Even if you confront them, they're not desperate enough to DIE (the whole reason they're STEALING is to NOT DIE). Plenty of burglars run off, or even put down their weapon/loot and surrender. Some Americans do shout out "SURRENDER!" or something to that effect, but an overwhelming majority think they're Han Solo and shoot first, ask questions (or be asked questions in court, incidentally) later.

On the subject of rifles? Only for hunters. Military grade weapons? Hint hint, MILITARY. Not for public sale.

Yeah, you can get guns almost anywhere at any time in any city or village, even if they are banned, but I know if I was going to say, burgle someone, I'd be less likely to do it if I had to risk a fine or prison to get a unlicensed handgun (which will cost more than what I will steal), and then steal some sh-t from a random guy's house with the risk of having my brains blown out. If I legally own a gun, I can make a profit and can always kill anyone who opposes me in the house I'm burgling.

There are convincing and good arguments on both sides, but this is my stance. If someone attacked me, I would kill them of course (or incapacitate if they had a knife or lesser weapon).
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 5:53:27 PM
I'm a Libertarian, Like almost every single libertarian, Democrat or Republican I am for gun control. Gun control is really too broad of a term to get two different prospective a on. Almost without exception, everyone is pro gun control.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:56:41 AM
At 12/5/2015 3:51:02 PM, imnotacop wrote:
I'm writing an essay on the topic of gun control from a comprehensive standpoint rather than a leftist or right wing ideological stance.

What I want to know is: what your political affiliation is, whether or not you're in favor of gun control, what exactly that means, and why.

So please help me come to a conclusive understanding of how guns should be handles in the United States.

Thank you. ^_^

I'm a Republican. They can't take Americans' guns because thir Constitution forbids it, and it is an American right given by their forfathers. Why can the government, who is completely untrustwoethy be protected by guns, but Americans can not? Why should the government, who is untrustworthy be able to arm? The only reason to disarm the American public is to control them and take away their ability to repel the government if it crosses the line of the people. The forfathers of America said if the gocernment tries to take your guns you are required by the Constitution to take those leaders out with guns and by force.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:58:10 AM
Here is how it works in reality. Taking away guns is supposed to limit the use of them. They illegalized drugs and it caused violence and use went up. THAT is reality.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:00:38 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:47:29 AM, mc9 wrote:
Because the amount of gun deaths in America is just way to high.

It's no different than Europian countries. The amounts are high because the U.S. has way more people than most countries. It's a bogus stat. The county I live in hasn't had a gun related death in my entire lifetime.

And most of the numbers come from gang violence in which gang members kill well...other gang members. Boo hoo...
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:02:37 AM
I had seen a stat that said there were like 350 gun deaths in America. I thought about it. There are about 350 million U.S. citizens. So one in a million people is killed by a gun in America. Those are great odds.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:05:38 AM
At 12/6/2015 1:02:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
I had seen a stat that said there were like 350 gun deaths in America. I thought about it. There are about 350 million U.S. citizens. So one in a million people is killed by a gun in America. Those are great odds.

It's actually about 90 people a day with a mass shooting a day.
I'm pretty sure.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:07:37 AM
Suicides and gang related deaths make up most of gun related deaths. You're not supposed to know that. Do you honestly think making guns illegal will keep gangs from killing each other with hmmm...guns? No chance. Zero. But the innocent who want to protect themselves will be disarmed. Good idea. Hopefully no one ever attacks you or enters your house.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:11:31 AM
there were 11,101 homicides and 19,766 suicides committed with firearms in 2011.
This accounts for almost ALL gun deaths in 2011.

Huffington Post
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:18:41 AM

Thank you. ^_^

Firstly I am a democrat and I am heavily in favor of gun control. If you look at the definition of gun control you will quickly realize why I am for it: Gun control generally refers to laws or policies that regulate the manufacture, sale, transfer, possession, modification, or use of firearms.
As you can see, gun control can refer to any number of regulations restricting who can own what kinds of guns as well as who can sell them. Without gun control, convicted criminals, as well as those with severe mental problems can buy any firearm they want. We often say that the only person who can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, well without gun control, those bad guys will have access to a huge arsenal of weaponry and have a huge advantage over most good guys with guns. The best thing to do is develop gun laws which prevent bad guys from legally obtaining weapons, as well as making sure that the good guys who have them know how to use their firearm, and know how to respond in a crisis situation.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 3:12:04 AM
At 12/6/2015 1:11:31 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
there were 11,101 homicides and 19,766 suicides committed with firearms in 2011.
This accounts for almost ALL gun deaths in 2011.

Huffington Post

That's a ton.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 3:14:04 AM
At 12/6/2015 1:07:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Suicides and gang related deaths make up most of gun related deaths. You're not supposed to know that. Do you honestly think making guns illegal will keep gangs from killing each other with hmmm...guns? No chance. Zero. But the innocent who want to protect themselves will be disarmed. Good idea. Hopefully no one ever attacks you or enters your house.

We won't ban guns just make it so that people can't get easy access to guns that fire 60 bullets a minute or people who rob banks or are on the terrorist watch list can't get guns and things like that.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:27:22 AM
Left liberal (classical)

Against laws controlling ownership of any property.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:34:02 AM

Thank you. ^_^
I'm an independent, but if I had to choose a party, I'd choose libertarian. I am for universal background checks but I am not for banning assault weapons or high capacity magazines. If assault weapons/semi automatic weapons are banned Criminals will get them, like the do drugs. We will have criminals who are armed with semi autos and good guys who are not armed with semi autos. The criminals can than use their semi autos against defenseless good guys who don't have semi autos . Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times a year to prevent crimes. Being pro gun rights means that I am pro self defense.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:38:20 AM
Two reasons:

It's against the constitution
And it doesn't work.

Take a look at the recent shooting. They always happen at gun free zones or places where it's not expected for anyone to be armed.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:42:54 AM
At 12/6/2015 3:14:04 AM, mc9 wrote:

We won't ban guns just make it so that people can't get easy access to guns that fire 60 bullets a minute or people who rob banks or are on the terrorist watch list can't get guns and things like that.
First place, if you take away that right from law abiding citizens then only criminals will have them.

Second, how many stories you heard about a seven year old not allowed on a plane because he shared the same name as a known terrorist?

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:03:07 AM
At 12/6/2015 3:14:04 AM, mc9 wrote:

Obama is the one pushing and he can't be trusted in any way shape or form. He's told so many lies and done so many things to destroy America on purpose that I expect him to try and force something extreme and stupid as usual.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:21:36 AM
10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down:

http://www.motherjones.com...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
chass23RN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:57:23 PM
First of all obama has been the best salesman for guns then any other president ever. Do you really believe he wants more gun control or do you think he wants you to think he does? They know by him talking about gun control the sales of guns and bullets go thru the roof. Gun control is not going to change anything. People need to quit fighting it and just educate themselves on guns. Why wouldn't a person want to protect themselves? Most gun violence in this country is gang related but they won't tell you that. I think they should come up with a way to allow certain people to carry firearms in gun free zones as most mass shootings happen in these areas. Having someone trained to take out a shooter will save lives.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:13:43 PM

Thank you. ^_^

I'm from the uk. My views are generally right wing especially on economics but when it comes to gun control i believe my country has got it right by implementing an effective gun control system that means only people with a genuine need for a gun such as hunting, game shooting, humanely putting down animals, pest control, clay pigeon shooting can obtain one. The person must be free from mental health issues or a criminal record. Licences are reviewed every 3 years and the suitability of the individual is assessed again. People can only own guns suitable for the activities they intend to carry, dangerous military style wespons are banned, guns must be kept in a locked cabinet when not in use and carrying guns in a public place is illegal. It's important to note here in the UK gun control is never discussed. The problem was solved decades ago! Everyone is happy with the gun control policy.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:24:32 PM
At 12/6/2015 5:21:36 AM, Fly wrote:
10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down:

http://www.motherjones.com...

Myth one: there coming for are guns

That is true. Just listen to Hilary speak and you'll see for yourself. Plus, its better to think that they are coming for are guns and prepare for it, than to not think they're coming for the guns and be embarrassed or worse yet enslaved by a tyrannical government.

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:29:05 PM
Gun myth 2: guns don't kill people, people kill people

This is also true. What did the Romans do before guns? They used swords and spears. Also there statistic is completely false. States like Texas has less gun crimes than states like California and New York.

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:35:42 PM
Myth 3: an armed society makes a polite society

This again is true. Observe gestures does not mean he'll pull out his gun. Besides, how about you look at states like New York were hardly anyone is carrying. Also they said that the "stand your ground" laws made an increase in homicides. Notice they didn't separate justifiable homicides and murder.

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:44:39 PM
Myth 4: good guys with guns will stop rampaging maniacs.

This is again true. The reason no mass shooting have been stopped by a good guy is because (1) they consider a mass shooting to be three or four people and whenever someone stops someone by shooting him always have less than three with shows the efficiency of an armed citizen at the scene, and (2) all the mass shootings happened at a gun free zone which of course no one is armed to return fire, DUH! Also it's just simply not true. Every mass shooting ended with a gun. Either the bad guy shoots himself, the police come with there guns, or an armed citizen stopped it like what happen with the first mass shooting. The police and armed citizens stopped the guy in the tower.

stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:49:52 PM

Thank you. ^_^

Firstly, gun control (regulation) would not be unconstitutional since we have limits on free speech in certain circumstances. So there's that to consider.

Secondly, the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment to guarantee individuals the right to own guns is a fairly recent one. Ironically conservatives are not very conservative on this issue but prefer the new interpretation.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:52:58 PM
Myth 5: guns in homes makes one safer.

Once again this is true. Of course your going to have an higher risk of an accident just like owning a car will have a higher risk factor, DUH! But if you compare gun accidents to car accidents then guns win at being the less dangerous by a long shot. Only about less than a thousand per year have died from a gun accident while more than 250,000 died from a car accident. So statistically speaking you're a hypocrite for owning a car but not a gun for safety reasons.