Jump to topic:

Cuomo Spars with Trump

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 3:45:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This has to be the single most brilliant interview with Donald Trump I've watched. Chris Cuomo has the instinct of a seasoned attorney and his line of questioning was nothing short of a brutal cross-examination. Just as the candidate had reached a new nadir in his campaign by suggesting we halt Muslim immigration entirely, he was finally forced to answer for it in an on-air, in-depth, confrontation long overdue.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 4:09:23 PM
At 12/8/2015 3:45:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
This has to be the single most brilliant interview with Donald Trump I've watched. Chris Cuomo has the instinct of a seasoned attorney and his line of questioning was nothing short of a brutal cross-examination. Just as the candidate had reached a new nadir in his campaign by suggesting we halt Muslim immigration entirely, he was finally forced to answer for it in an on-air, in-depth, confrontation long overdue.

Trump is playing to fear. I can't for the life of me understand how so many people can be suffering from such terror at Muslims, blacks and Mexicans while playing the tough guy. They are terrified children.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 4:57:08 PM
First, I like Chris Cuomo, even though he can be an obnoxious jackass from time to time. If he'd been that critical of #blacklivesmatter, everyone would be calling him a racist. The point is that the methods used can be identical, and our perception of them is contingent upon our subjective approval of his ends. So, today 00ike describes him favorably, because he's reinforcing PC norms. If Cuomo went after someone where he broke PC norms, with the same methods, 00ike would be throwing him under the bus. But that's beside the point.

I heard the interview earlier this morning, and there are going to be three camps of reaction to it.

The first camp is going to think that Cuomo just wiped the floor with Trump's obnoxious face, and they're going to see Trump as just a bombastic fascist who is bordering on bering the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler. He's not, what he said is to temporally ban Muslims from coming into the United States to protect national security. Obviously this is an unacceptable policy proposal to most.

However, the second camp (many in the Republican base, especially evangelicals) are going to think "Gee, why hasn't anyone said this before!" because they're scared of brown people. I'm pretty sure Trump's poll numbers (in Iowa and probably South Carolina) are going to go up, for predictable reasons. These people are going to resent what they regard as "liberal elite PC norms" who are "compromising US national security" to preserve their ideology. Of course many of you aren't going to understand this, and will probably just have a ball arguing with me about it... but they're out there and the fact that you just don't know enough about the Republican electorate to know what impact this is going to have on Trump's numbers doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you're just not in touch with how people think. (When Trump said what he did, people cheered.)

The third camp (me) is just not going to care, because I know (as any rational person observing this process does) exactly why Trump said what he did: to keep his name in the media. It's no accident that Trump said what he did. It wasn't a slip. It was an intentional act done for the purpose of evoking a popular reaction in the media, and from the left and the right, which will have the effect of consolidating his popularity among the base. I mean, this is just really basic politicking... and any idiot can see why he's doing it. It's not because Trump actually "believes" this stupidity, it's because he knows that saying these things is going to get people to rally behind him, and the media (and the GOP) are just uniformly stupid enough to play in to his plan to co-opt national attention for his own purposes. If the United States were like Europe (read: less racist) then what he said would just be the end of it, but in this country you've got a lot of really racist people who really hate brown people, and then you've got a lot of self-righteous liberals who will just jump at every opportunity they have to remind those racist people why they are bad people because they're racists. And that is why Trump has been able to achieve monumental success in the polls, practically without spending a fvcking dime on advertising. (Read: he's a master manipulator, and everyone else is to stupid to know how they're being used.)

The method is this:

1. Trump says something outrageous.
2. The media all say: "OMG! look at this outrageous thing Trump said!"
3. Trump: #zerofucksgiven
4. Media: "You're the reincarnation of Hitler!"
5. Evangelicals and the base: "OMG he's been saying what we've been thinking! We like him! We want to vote for him!"
6. Media: "This is totally unacceptable."
7. *poll numbers soar*
8. Trimp: [See No. 1.]

*rolls eyes*
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:00:21 PM
And realize, in all of this, what's happening AND what is not happening:

What is happening is everyone is talking about Trump. What is not happening is any reasonable advancement for the party.

That is why they (by "they" I mean "all republican candidates other than Cruz") hate him. Trump politiks like an insurgent, who gives precisely no fvcks about anything other than his own political success and the man is playing to win. Everyone else is doing the same thing, but there playing by the old set of rules. Trumps couldn't care less about the rules.

But really, Trump is the extension of Reagan. Good job GOP.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:01:48 PM
I mean, you don't go on Chris Cuomo's show on CNN (this was less the case when he had to pretend to be nice when he was on Good Morning America) when you're Donald Trump and you don't want a fight. You go there specifically for the fight, to frame the context of the next 48 hours of a news cycle.

People who are like; "this is the beginning of the end of Trump!" are just dumb.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:05:26 PM
At 12/8/2015 4:57:08 PM, YYW wrote:

The third camp (me) is just not going to care, because I know (as any rational person observing this process does) exactly why Trump said what he did: to keep his name in the media. It's no accident that Trump said what he did. It wasn't a slip. It was an intentional act done for the purpose of evoking a popular reaction in the media, and from the left and the right, which will have the effect of consolidating his popularity among the base. I mean, this is just really basic politicking... and any idiot can see why he's doing it. It's not because Trump actually "believes" this stupidity, it's because he knows that saying these things is going to get people to rally behind him, and the media (and the GOP) are just uniformly stupid enough to play in to his plan to co-opt national attention for his own purposes. If the United States were like Europe (read: less racist) then what he said would just be the end of it, but in this country you've got a lot of really racist people who really hate brown people, and then you've got a lot of self-righteous liberals who will just jump at every opportunity they have to remind those racist people why they are bad people because they're racists. And that is why Trump has been able to achieve monumental success in the polls, practically without spending a fvcking dime on advertising. (Read: he's a master manipulator, and everyone else is to stupid to know how they're being used.)

Not just this, but he also forced his Republican rivals to defend muslim immigration which there is no doubt the base despises at a time when terrorism is a major part of the political conversation for the first time in a long time. It was a completely brilliant move by Trump. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Trump is saying everything that many blue collar white guys say to each other in hushed tones when they think no one is listening. Whether people like it or not, many people agree and many more who don't agree also don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we need to be more careful with our immigration policy. Trump is showing how the media completely shuts down discussion and the GOP establishment lets them. The establishment is stumped, not Trump.

On an unrelated note I really don't see how Trump was so stumped in this video...he actually held up far better than I expected. His political skills grow by the day.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:11:17 PM
oh my God. Cuomo literally said "Our diversity is our greatest strength". Lol, okay.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:56:43 PM
At 12/8/2015 5:05:26 PM, thett3 wrote:

Not just this, but he also forced his Republican rivals to defend muslim immigration which there is no doubt the base despises at a time when terrorism is a major part of the political conversation for the first time in a long time. It was a completely brilliant move by Trump. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Trump is saying everything that many blue collar white guys say to each other in hushed tones when they think no one is listening. Whether people like it or not, many people agree and many more who don't agree also don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we need to be more careful with our immigration policy. Trump is showing how the media completely shuts down discussion and the GOP establishment lets them. The establishment is stumped, not Trump.

On an unrelated note I really don't see how Trump was so stumped in this video...he actually held up far better than I expected. His political skills grow by the day.

I agree with everything you said there.
Tsar of DDO
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 6:02:51 PM

The method is this:

5. Evangelicals and the base: "OMG he's been saying what we've been thinking! We like him! We want to vote for him!"
7. *poll numbers soar*
8. Trimp: [See No. 1.]

*rolls eyes*

Lol sigged
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 6:32:11 PM
At 12/8/2015 6:02:51 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

The method is this:

7. *poll numbers soar*
8. Trump: [See No. 1.]

*rolls eyes*

Lol sigged

lol I love it
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 7:53:21 PM
At 12/8/2015 6:32:11 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/8/2015 6:02:51 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

The method is this:

7. *poll numbers soar*
8. Trump: [See No. 1.]

*rolls eyes*

Lol sigged

lol I love it

I agree, a brilliant use of the media for advertisement.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 7:56:23 PM
First, I like Chris Cuomo, even though he can be an obnoxious jackass from time to time. If he'd been that critical of #blacklivesmatter, everyone would be calling him a racist. The point is that the methods used can be identical, and our perception of them is contingent upon our subjective approval of his ends. So, today 00ike describes him favorably, because he's reinforcing PC norms. If Cuomo went after someone where he broke PC norms, with the same methods, 00ike would be throwing him under the bus. But that's beside the point.

Actually, there is no-one, and I do mean no one, not even in conservative media, who can play the anti- PC card better than Trump.