Jump to topic:

Atheist Group Billboard Skip Church this Year

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 12:11:03 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
An Atheist group in North Carolina has bot up space on billboards saying to go ahead and skip church this Christmas, but be good for goodness sake.

http://www.al.com...

I'm interested in this phenomenon. Christmas is a Christian religious holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, many Atheists celebrate "the holidays" and some are offended by the term "Merry Christmas". We should now say, "happy holidays". So are they trying to claim a religious holiday as their own or what is happening here? And why do they care if religious people are religious on a religious holiday? Why do they care? I don't care if Jews celebrate Hannukah or Muslims celebrate Ramadan. Those are the holidays of THEIR religion. Christmas is a holiday of Christianity. It has nothing to do with Atheism.

I've had Atheists on this very forum tell me the U.S. is not a "Christian nation" and never has been. So if that be true, why would an Atheist in a nonChristian nation care what Christians do on their own private religious holiday. And why not tell Muslims and Jews to skip Ramadan prayer or Jews skip Hannukah? Is it just an Atheists vs. Christianity thing? I was raised being told "one day the world will hate Christianity and fight against it." Now here we are and it appears the target is on Christianity by the "secular world" and no other religion. Were our grandparents right?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 3:14:32 AM
At 12/11/2015 12:11:03 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
An Atheist group in North Carolina has bot up space on billboards saying to go ahead and skip church this Christmas, but be good for goodness sake.

I'm interested in this phenomenon. Christmas is a Christian religious holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, many Atheists celebrate "the holidays" and some are offended by the term "Merry Christmas". We should now say, "happy holidays". So are they trying to claim a religious holiday as their own or what is happening here? And why do they care if religious people are religious on a religious holiday? Why do they care? I don't care if Jews celebrate Hannukah or Muslims celebrate Ramadan. Those are the holidays of THEIR religion. Christmas is a holiday of Christianity. It has nothing to do with Atheism.

I've had Atheists on this very forum tell me the U.S. is not a "Christian nation" and never has been. So if that be true, why would an Atheist in a nonChristian nation care what Christians do on their own private religious holiday. And why not tell Muslims and Jews to skip Ramadan prayer or Jews skip Hannukah? Is it just an Atheists vs. Christianity thing? I was raised being told "one day the world will hate Christianity and fight against it." Now here we are and it appears the target is on Christianity by the "secular world" and no other religion. Were our grandparents right?

I agree, Christmas and Easter should be removed as national holidays and everyone who wishes to celebrate them should use vacation days. Let's give it back to the Christians and stop this commercialization nonsense.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 4:59:33 PM
At 12/11/2015 3:14:32 AM, slo1 wrote:

I agree, Christmas and Easter should be removed as national holidays and everyone who wishes to celebrate them should use vacation days. Let's give it back to the Christians and stop this commercialization nonsense.

Never happen. Too much money made on Christmas everything from toys to cars. It's not so much a Christian thing any longer as a Capitalist thing.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 7:57:15 PM

Ha ! if you put up similar billboards encouraging people to skip Rammadan, you'd soon see the true face of Islam!

Harry.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 11:52:44 PM
Posted: 11 months ago

As an atheist I don't celebrate Christmas. I agree with you that atheists are wrong to interfere with a Christian celebration. It's a bit silly really what Christmas has become. It is just a huge commercial event which creates a surge in public spending that precursors a mass economic shut down over the supposedly festive period. Personally I dislike the event which in my country is impossible to avoid socially and economically. I would like to see it go back to its roots as a Christian celebration and all the secular, agnostic and atheist people cease making such a big fuss over it ending the excessive present buying, shopping and decorating. In my view an atheists celebrate Christmas because they either enjoy it or its culturally and socially unavoidable. Instead of interfering in Christians festivals we should leave them to it and seek to increase the non celebration of Christmas by non Christians.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 1:06:53 AM

Yet Atheists feel like the christian christmas and the theological baggage that comes with it is being forced down their throat.

I've had Atheists on this very forum tell me the U.S. is not a "Christian nation" and never has been. So if that be true, why would an Atheist in a nonChristian nation care what Christians do on their own private religious holiday.

Cause it ain't so private.

And why not tell Muslims and Jews to skip Ramadan prayer or Jews skip Hannukah? Is it just an Atheists vs. Christianity thing? I was raised being told "one day the world will hate Christianity and fight against it." Now here we are and it appears the target is on Christianity by the "secular world" and no other religion. Were our grandparents right?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 10:41:37 PM
At 12/12/2015 1:06:53 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yet Atheists feel like the christian christmas and the theological baggage that comes with it is being forced down their throat.

I've had Atheists on this very forum tell me the U.S. is not a "Christian nation" and never has been. So if that be true, why would an Atheist in a nonChristian nation care what Christians do on their own private religious holiday.

Cause it ain't so private.

And why not tell Muslims and Jews to skip Ramadan prayer or Jews skip Hannukah? Is it just an Atheists vs. Christianity thing? I was raised being told "one day the world will hate Christianity and fight against it." Now here we are and it appears the target is on Christianity by the "secular world" and no other religion. Were our grandparents right?

By who? Are Christians coming around with guns forcing you to celebrate THEIR religious holiday? I call bs on this response. Come on now. I wouldn't start celebrating some Atheist event whether they tried to force it down my throat or not. If a Christian is in San Fransisco are they swayed to celebrate gay pride events because the masses are? Give me a break.