Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Do you support Common Core?

tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?

P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 12:55:07 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

I'm against it. It dumbs down the kids.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 1:47:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

Teachers hate it.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 1:54:36 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?

P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

It was an idea with good intentions that was horrendously implemented. 10/10 should be repealed
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:31:49 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

Well.. I have a bit to say on the subject. Later when i am home. Short answer - for it. It is a best practices + a national standard
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:53:24 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:31:49 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

Well.. I have a bit to say on the subject. Later when i am home. Short answer - for it. It is a best practices + a national standard

I agree with a national standard, but common core is bulls*it
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 3:39:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:53:24 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 2:31:49 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

Well.. I have a bit to say on the subject. Later when i am home. Short answer - for it. It is a best practices + a national standard

I agree with a national standard, but common core is bulls*it

I can roll with the idea of a national standard on some subjects, such as history and science, but I think that it would be better to let states experiment with other subjects such as english or math to see which ideas for teaching work and which ideas dont
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
HououinKyouma
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 3:14:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Do I support national standards? Of course; IMO the US's lack of standards is one of its education system's weaknesses, compared to other nations, or at least that's what I think after having read about the system on DDO.

Yet... the maths common core curriculum is just silly. Heck, even in Hong Kong, we've spent a good deal of time laughing at it, and that is saying something because we don't generally care about the US's education system. A third grader had marks taken away for writing that 5 * 3 was 5 + 5 + 5 instead of 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3, when both are correct last time I checked - the multiplication of real numbers is commutative! (And I'm sure we've all seen the letter from a disgruntled parent who could do partial differential equations but not common core maths, lol.)

This sort of nonsense is dragging the US system from making real progress, and is the reason why you're behind. Hong Kong students at that age have long outgrown multiplication by repeated addition - I was multiplying fractions at that age....
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
HououinKyouma
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 4:03:24 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

Why? I found it that while flawed it is a necessary improvement. Again, if American students studying maths arrived in college with all the basics and some knowledge of more advanced mathematics, it would facilitate the teaching of subjects like maths and physics.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 4:14:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 4:03:24 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

Why? I found it that while flawed it is a necessary improvement. Again, if American students studying maths arrived in college with all the basics and some knowledge of more advanced mathematics, it would facilitate the teaching of subjects like maths and physics.

But the methods they teach are horrendous. Subtraction used to be nice and simple: You just use the vertical form. Now American kids are learning a new method that involves bouncing on number lines. It's complicating matters without benefit. Even a parent who was used to partial differential equations could not understand it, and wrote an angry letter to the school.

I agree that you do need a standardised curriculum for all schools, like the rest of the world does - but without the nonsensical calculation methods.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 4:18:01 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

No. It turns basic math into understanding. There is no use to learn just how to do basic arithmetic, it is an almost useless skill. The math methods are there to teach how math works, not how to do the simple 475/21
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 4:19:45 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 4:03:24 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

Why? I found it that while flawed it is a necessary improvement. Again, if American students studying maths arrived in college with all the basics and some knowledge of more advanced mathematics, it would facilitate the teaching of subjects like maths and physics.

There's a reason why subjects like physics are thought in the later years. It's too complicated for young children. When you take something like 7+5, and you complicate it, it simply will confuse kids. These changes are not beneficial in my opinion, and will likely make kids hate math even more, and leave them in a very confused mindset.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 4:26:44 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 4:18:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

No. It turns basic math into understanding. There is no use to learn just how to do basic arithmetic, it is an almost useless skill. The math methods are there to teach how math works, not how to do the simple 475/21

I don't object to using arrays or repeated addition to introduce the concept of multiplication. When I learnt multiplication for the first time, I was also taught repeated addition first, before proceeding to the times tables. (Incidentally, I was taught that 5 * 3 = 5 + 5 + 5, not 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3.) However, I was never told to draw an array or add repeatedly in a test. That is just silly and counterproductive: by the time they're tested on multiplication, they should have memorised the times tables thoroughly.

I honestly don't know anyone my age who doesn't know that the multiplication of positive integers comes from repeated addition, or how arrays' sizes can be evaluated using multiplication. You don't need the common core curriculum for this sort of understanding.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 9:05:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 4:18:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/12/2015 2:51:39 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:41:30 AM, HououinKyouma wrote:
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason.

As far as maths is concerned it is a very good program. However, I would say that it does not go far enough with its Language and Literature standards. It merely recommends certain texts that teachers may use, when they should enforce those sample texts so that 1) students that go on to study literature, history, and philosophy will have a common set of references and background that can be built upon at pretty much any university, and it also means that at university professors can simply skip or at least spend at least as little time as possible on these basic texts; and 2) it creates a common intellectual culture that in a multi-ethnic and multicultural country like America is vital.

Math is actually what I hate about it the most. It takes something so simple, and overcomplicates it. It's just terrible.

No. It turns basic math into understanding. There is no use to learn just how to do basic arithmetic, it is an almost useless skill. The math methods are there to teach how math works, not how to do the simple 475/21

Overall, what is your stance on this?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 9:39:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I support it in general. Common Core has greatly improved the amount of content students have to learn simply to pass a specific class at a given grade level. It increases rigor and challenges students to understand more of the content area before they can pass it, plus it provides guidelines to teachers that elevates the standards and quality of instruction in the class.

I had some challenging classes when I was a high school student, but the subject content in the classroom environment today is much more challenging, and yet producing more high school graduates.

I definitely see the benefit of Common Core.
lifeforce
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 10:10:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 11:51:07 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on it, and do you support it?


P.S: The only reason I'm asking here, is because the site won't let me post any polls for some reason. : :

Absolutely not. Every child is different than another and common core education keeps most of them from their God-given talents. Common core is a business idea that produces hard working slaves for the corporations. Corporate heads do not want to be challenged by slaves who can think for themselves.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 10:13:26 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 9:39:42 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I support it in general. Common Core has greatly improved the amount of content students have to learn simply to pass a specific class at a given grade level. It increases rigor and challenges students to understand more of the content area before they can pass it, plus it provides guidelines to teachers that elevates the standards and quality of instruction in the class.

I had some challenging classes when I was a high school student, but the subject content in the classroom environment today is much more challenging, and yet producing more high school graduates.

I definitely see the benefit of Common Core.

I agree with the concept, but the actual thing is horrible in my opinion. Especially math, something such as 4+4 is not super complicated for no reason. I see no benefit in learning it in the "common core" way.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 10:30:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 10:13:26 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/12/2015 9:39:42 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I support it in general. Common Core has greatly improved the amount of content students have to learn simply to pass a specific class at a given grade level. It increases rigor and challenges students to understand more of the content area before they can pass it, plus it provides guidelines to teachers that elevates the standards and quality of instruction in the class.

I had some challenging classes when I was a high school student, but the subject content in the classroom environment today is much more challenging, and yet producing more high school graduates.

I definitely see the benefit of Common Core.

I agree with the concept, but the actual thing is horrible in my opinion. Especially math, something such as 4+4 is not super complicated for no reason. I see no benefit in learning it in the "common core" way.

I understand what you're talking about, but there's a good reason why it's set up this way. What the objective is is to get elementary students to see connections early on, so that they don't struggle with the concepts of numbers and math in more advance classes.

I've see this on in-class and take-home assignments too at the elementary school level:

4 + 4 = 8, which equals 5 + 3, 10 - 2, and so on.

In fourth and fifth grade, students are introduced to exponents and power notation, so this develops even further:

4 + 4 = 8 = 5 + 3 = 10 - 2 = 64^1/2 = 2^3

The point is to get students to understand important connections that they will need to have a firm understanding of in more advanced math classes, like algebra and trigonometry, which are only about a couple to four years away. Remember that students are best at absorbing this kind of information when they're young, and studies corroborate this. The sooner their prepared for complex problems, the better.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 10:38:49 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I'm not saying that all these operations (adding, subtracting, and exponentiation) are all the same, because they're very different operations. But the point is to get students to see the different ways of how a value can be expressed, which of course is very important in higher level math classes.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 12:17:21 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I support the idea of Common Core -- common national standards that can be used to compare educational achievement across states. I disagree with its implementation.

I like that it was adopted by states, and not shoved down their throat by the federal government. The federal government did encourage its adoption, but I don't know what the ramifications of that are.

My preferred policy would be that Common Core is simply a set of national standards, and states and localities have the flexibility to teach their students however they see fit, so that bottom-up competition and innovation can raise the quality of instruction. So although this idea empowers state governments, I think that this is something that should be used to help parents compare the quality of different schools.

From what I know right now, this isn't entirely the case... I think that this was the original idea, but I believe that states interfered, promoting some interest groups over others, and thus we get instances where a new method of teaching math is mandated to all schools (because a firm that produces textbooks lobbied the gov't).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan