Jump to topic:

World Government

Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:43:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Otherwise entitled, Let's All Get Together.

Scare tactics aside, would a legitimate world government be a positive thing? What form of government would work best for the whole planet, in your opinions? Major drawbacks?

(nb4 Geo says "we already have one")
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:56:26 PM
You should add the clarifier that for the sake of this discussion a world government is possible.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:56:41 PM
At 10/8/2010 4:43:02 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

Scare tactics aside, would a legitimate world government be a positive thing?
No.
What form of government would work best for the whole planet, in your opinions?
No government at all.
Major drawbacks?
If you don't like the government, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Currently, if one really despises their government, they can simply leave. Most people don't do this, and those that do have to leave to go live under a different government anyway, of course, but this threat of emigration keeps tyranny in check. If country raises taxes a lot, for example, productive people and businesses will simply leave to go to a better country.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:04:32 PM
No, we are doing better with different governments.

It is not bad that we have different governments. Shari'a Law deserves my support, but I see something good with different parts of the world having different forms of government.

Major drawbacks?
Forms of government?

(nb4 Geo says "we already have one")
Technically the UN serves as a form of world government, but that is not what you think of when you say "World Government" I would presume.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:31:04 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:29:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The fewer the governments the better. Zero is best. One is next.

No.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:32:59 PM
That is not true. A government of pure tyranny ruling the entire world is worse than 100 governments ruling it fairly well on average.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:36:19 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:32:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
That is not true. A government of pure tyranny ruling the entire world is worse than 100 governments ruling it fairly well on average.

I wouldn't suppose that a country automatically becomes less tyrannical in pieces than in one. It is a sum of it's parts. The question is not whether one tyrannical country is better than 100 fair countries, it's whether one tyrannical country is better than 100 tyrannical countries.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:40:59 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:36:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I wouldn't suppose that a country automatically becomes less tyrannical in pieces than in one. It is a sum of it's parts. The question is not whether one tyrannical country is better than 100 fair countries, it's whether one tyrannical country is better than 100 tyrannical countries.
Please address "World Government."
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:44:44 PM
The more governments, the better.

I support one government for every person.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:49:12 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:40:59 PM, Mirza wrote:

I think he just did. If the nature of human government is to be tyrannical, is one big tyrannical government better than 200+ little tyrannies?

Begging the questions, of course:
1. Are governments naturally tyrannical?
2. Is one-world government possible?
and
3. Who decides whether a government is tyrannical?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:53:10 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:49:12 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 10/8/2010 5:40:59 PM, Mirza wrote:

I think he just did. If the nature of human government is to be tyrannical, is one big tyrannical government better than 200+ little tyrannies?

Begging the questions, of course:
1. Are governments naturally tyrannical?
Yes. Some more than others.
2. Is one-world government possible?
Yes, I'd say it's inevitable.
and
3. Who decides whether a government is tyrannical?
Anybody who has a decision made for them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:57:46 PM
No, and they are not necessarily tyrannies. When people suffer from phobia of a little control, then that is tyranny of their minds in the first place which they should work on. Calling every form of government "tyranny" is egregious.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 6:01:08 PM
I think there's actually a higher likelihood of tyranny with more governments because the bigger ones will always push around the smaller ones. Just look at America. We control the world through war. A one world government would likely not have war.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 6:02:07 PM
At 10/8/2010 5:57:46 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, and they are not necessarily tyrannies. When people suffer from phobia of a little control, then that is tyranny of their minds in the first place which they should work on. Calling every form of government "tyranny" is egregious.

I didn't say they were. I said If. I'm just poking round in people's minds here, trying to see what people think.

Do you think there is such a thing as a tyrannical government, Mizra; and what does it look like?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:53:41 PM
At 10/8/2010 6:01:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think there's actually a higher likelihood of tyranny with more governments because the bigger ones will always push around the smaller ones. Just look at America. We control the world through war. A one world government would likely not have war.

civil war exists. and the REASON we are able to engage in war on such a large scale is because we're a very large, populous, rich nation. if you broke the US up into a bunch of smaller nations, we would have to cut back on warmongering, just because there wouldn't be such a large, centralized pile of wealth to buy war machines with.

also, if there are a lot of governments, its unlikely they will all be tyrannical. since some will be freer than others, if you're stuck living somewhere you hate you can just move somewhere else with a better government. then you end up with a sort of competition between governments, those that are the most oppressive losing the most citizens... assuming they even allow their citizens to leave of course :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 1:05:24 AM
At 10/8/2010 6:02:07 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
I didn't say they were. I said If. I'm just poking round in people's minds here, trying to see what people think.
Fine.

Do you think there is such a thing as a tyrannical government, Mizra; and what does it look like?
The North Korean is one of the best examples today. It does not let its citizens explore other cultures, spread good ties, etc. and just lets them blindly be in their own nation that is not even willing to keep up with modern technology. They are simply behind the world in every aspect.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 4:49:58 AM
World Federation tbo.

I'm certain it will happen just not in the UN(peace university) way so don't get your hopes up.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 5:40:11 AM

Yes
Democracy. Democracy not because it is the best one, but because it the the one with least 'risk factor'.

Major drawbacks?
corruption, but it can be kept into check.