Jump to topic:

The Final Solution no one wants to talk about

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 7:37:26 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I think it's becoming more and more clear that the only way to deal with ISIS is to establish peace with them.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:08:45 PM
At 12/13/2015 7:37:26 AM, smelisox wrote:
I think it's becoming more and more clear that the only way to deal with ISIS is to establish peace with them.

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with female slaves.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 4:28:13 PM

You can't establish peace with these kind of people. If you do, you are enabling them. In WW2 the Germans and the Japanese had to be completely defeated. Isis is a sick ideology that attracts the worst of humans. Total anhilation is the only way because that is the only thing they understand. Unfortunately, no country has the will to do that.
slowbrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 5:05:24 PM
The problem is that for a peace process to be meaningful, there has to be space for negotiation.

My understanding is that the ideology of ISIS is to erase all traces of Judeo-Christian / Western civilization from the face of the planet. It is not immediately clear to me where the negotiation could occur...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 5:10:40 PM

Nevel Chamberlain has spoken.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 5:21:09 PM
At 12/13/2015 2:08:45 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with female slaves.

Assuming they're both serious:

So we have one guy that can't get a lady to save his life so he has to revert to female rape and slavery.

Then we have a second guy who apparently finds washing machines too complex so he bows down and submits to wearing smelly socks; similarly he finds terrorists too complex and wishes to bow down and submit to their will.

Two points:

1) What happen to men?
2) Assuming you're Americans...Have you no pride?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 5:54:44 PM

In my view this is impossible as it is not in the mentality of Islamic state to either make peace or negotiate. They exist to fight, to kill and to spread evil religious extremism. In my view the best way to deal with Islamic state is to eliminate them by conducting a large scale military operation against them. The current bombing campaign is a waste of time. A serious strategy has to be devised by the international community to completely eliminate this barbaric organization.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 5:55:43 PM

In my view this is impossible as it is not in the mentality of Islamic state to either make peace or negotiate. They exist to fight, to kill and to spread evil religious extremism. In my view the best way to deal with Islamic state is to eliminate them by conducting a large scale military operation against them. The current bombing campaign is a waste of time. A serious strategy has to be devised by the international community to completely eliminate this barbaric organization. Isis cannot be allowed to exist.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 6:27:07 PM

I absolutely agree. A peace treaty of unconditional and complete surrender from ISIS.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
slowbrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 6:37:59 PM
"A serious strategy has to be devised by the international community to completely eliminate this barbaric organization."

There could be many parts to this strategy. One immediate factor that would limit further ISIS expansion is to cut off their funding supplies from oil revenue. I have read conflicting sources about the extent to which ISIS oil is being sold on the oil black market (especially to and through Turkey) vs. the extent to which ISIS oil is not generating significant funds because it is primarily being used in the local area at heavily subsidized prices. Whichever scenario is true, there appears to have been a resistance to damaging the oil infrastructure which was initially developed by Western investors (although this is changing over the last couple of weeks, with more air strikes doing that)
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 12:25:20 PM
The ISIS aren't all evil barbaric people, there are certainly normal people in it who would probably agree to peace.
slowbrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 1:56:17 PM
At 12/14/2015 12:25:20 PM, smelisox wrote:
The ISIS aren't all evil barbaric people, there are certainly normal people in it who would probably agree to peace.

I'm not sure about this. Certainly with previous insurgencies, there has been a tendency to characterise terrorists as evil and barbaric as this makes it easier to dismiss their causes - for example, Communism, IRA, al-Qaeda, Viet Cong. And as the situations become more complex with atrocities committed on both sides, such characterisations become arbitrary.

I feel that there is something distinct about ISIS, however. It is that central ideology outlined above (where the goal is total destruction of Western values) that suggests there is no chance of peace.

It is true that there are large numbers of people in ISIS held territories who would agree to peace, most of whom will be living in extremely oppressed circumstances and in constant fear for their own and their families safety if they are seen to oppose the goals of ISIS. But I would not call these civilians part of ISIS.

It really is a mess, and I do not know what the solution is....
kingkd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 1:58:55 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO
The Constitution is just a damn piece of paper
-Barack Obama
"I actually support ...the Spanish inquisition, the murder of natives and so much more."
airmax1227
"Water is wet."
airmax1227