Jump to topic:

Opinions of Vladimir Putin

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 8:11:35 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Vladimir Putin has established himself as Russia's strongest leader since nikita Khrushchev and restored Russia's military prestige following the chaos of the Gorbachev and Yeltsin years. He has also done a reasonable job of getting Russia's capitalist system in order following extremely chaotic early years. Putin has managed to control the levels of control yielded over politicians by rich oligarchs and reduced the levels of corruption in Russia to some extent. He clearly is a patriotic Russian who stands up for his country.

However Putin is clearly not a believer in democracy and had cleverly manipulated Russia's young democracy to create what is effectively a dictatorship. Putin controls or censors the vast majority or media in Russia and shuts down legitimate opposition through negative media coverage, prosecution and threats. Putin's party also pressurizes government employees into voting for the ruling party at elections through bribes and threats of dismissal. Putin is clearly not an expert in economics and his aggressive foreign policies and generally hostile relationship with many of Russia's neighbours certainly does nothing to help the economy. The economy is stagnant, underperforming, underdeveloped, poorly managed with a weak currency and high inflation levels. Living standards and wages are low. Putin is more concerned about influencing affairs in foreign territories and helping Russian minorities in foreign countries than he Is about improving things for the millions of people in Russia who would benefit from better relations with the world and better opportunities to trade in the world market.

Overall I think Putin is a poor leader.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 9:22:31 PM
At 12/14/2015 8:11:35 PM, beng100 wrote:
Vladimir Putin has established himself as Russia's strongest leader since nikita Khrushchev and restored Russia's military prestige following the chaos of the Gorbachev and Yeltsin years. He has also done a reasonable job of getting Russia's capitalist system in order following extremely chaotic early years. Putin has managed to control the levels of control yielded over politicians by rich oligarchs and reduced the levels of corruption in Russia to some extent. He clearly is a patriotic Russian who stands up for his country.

However Putin is clearly not a believer in democracy and had cleverly manipulated Russia's young democracy to create what is effectively a dictatorship. Putin controls or censors the vast majority or media in Russia and shuts down legitimate opposition through negative media coverage, prosecution and threats. Putin's party also pressurizes government employees into voting for the ruling party at elections through bribes and threats of dismissal. Putin is clearly not an expert in economics and his aggressive foreign policies and generally hostile relationship with many of Russia's neighbours certainly does nothing to help the economy. The economy is stagnant, underperforming, underdeveloped, poorly managed with a weak currency and high inflation levels. Living standards and wages are low. Putin is more concerned about influencing affairs in foreign territories and helping Russian minorities in foreign countries than he Is about improving things for the millions of people in Russia who would benefit from better relations with the world and better opportunities to trade in the world market.

Overall I think Putin is a poor leader.

He's one of the greatest leaders in history. Only Putin could create a nation of idiots, racists, xenophobes, sexists, doublethinkers and prolefeeders.

BB! BB! DEATH TO GOLDSTEIN!

VP! VP! DEATH TO THE WEST!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 9:28:32 PM
He needs to retake Constantinople for the Orthodox Church.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 9:30:12 PM
At 12/14/2015 9:28:32 PM, thett3 wrote:
He needs to retake Constantinople for the Orthodox Church.

You've got to start adding if you're being facetious or not.

Constantinople doesn't even f-cking exist anymore.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 8:17:50 PM
Well, I think Putin (or at least my *opinion* of him) can be summarized in a few small sentences-->>he's a strategist and a 'politician', he worked for the KGB and elements of that still remain with him, he's no better or worse than most Western leaders, that's it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 8:56:27 PM
At 12/15/2015 8:17:50 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Well, I think Putin (or at least my *opinion* of him) can be summarized in a few small sentences-->>he's a strategist and a 'politician', he worked for the KGB and elements of that still remain with differents no better or worse than most Western leaders, that's it.

In many ways yes he is similar to many other western leaders in that he tries to appeal to his citizens to remain popular while strategically thinking on how he can maximize Russia's regional and international influence. However I think he and his government are different to western countries in key areas.

1. They run, censor or control the media.
2. Prosecute opponents of the government.
3. Do not run fair and transparent elections.
4. Alter the constitution to allow Putin to spend longer in the presidency.
5. Pursue aggressive foreign policy to the detriment of the economy.

What is your view on his actions in the donbass region of Ukraine? Personally I think his actions there are both morally and strategically wrong.