Jump to topic:

Americans shouldn't vote-split

augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:16:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
One of the major issues I see in the American political system, given the strong two-party system is the midterm elections, and the fact that many American voters split their vote between their congressman, senator and the President.

At best, the President would have only two years to implement his or her agenda, assuming that his or her party controls both Houses. Two years is hardly enough time to make any significant policy changes.

Despite my proposals for political reform, it's unlikely that they're going to be implemented any time soon, so I have another proposal: Americans shouldn't vote split. Whoever you vote for as President you should vote for that party in both Houses. When mid-terms come along, you should still vote for the party of the President, even if you feel he or she has done a bad job. Why?

The President needs a full four years to implement his or her policies, and he or she needs the support of Congress to do it. If you've committed yourself to a President you should follow through with that all the way. Obama has been in power for eight years, and six of those eight years have been either mixed or Republican-controlled. Suffice it to say, it's a recipe for disaster.

It's no wonder why Congress is increasingly obstructionist.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:08:37 AM
You might appreciate the fact that the congress is obstructionist if a Republican candidate would've won that seat.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:11:09 AM
I don't vote split, but I'm considering becoming a single issue voter and doing so. I used to make fun of single issue voters, but now I'm starting to realize the power they have. Your vote isn't about backing the candidate you vote fors agenda, it's about moving your agenda forward.